GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carista. Throttle response behavior - meaning?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You should own VCDS or OBD11 anyways so just buy one and do it yourself. Dealer probably won't even touch it.

It's on the list, because the more I dig, the more I find that this car is about as analog as a calculator watch.

One thing is certain: That throttle needs to change. I'm not sure what the purpose of the current manner of measuring input is, but it's not ideal at all. In an automatic, perhaps; but in a manual it's rather frustrating.

I could understand something like one of those "superhot" GTIs that we don't get in the States being set up like that; but I'm not seeing the benefit here.

At first I was wondering if it was just some manner of "protection mode" for test drives that the dealership forgot to turn off.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
FYI, this setting is hit or miss. Some people feel nothing, some people do but get poor mileage, some people think it's a godsend. Just know going in it may or may not work. For me it was clearly different. I often had issue where I needed to cross a few lanes of traffic quickly 1/4 mile from my house. Sometimes it was dangerous as the car wouldn't react to my throttle input quick enough. This setting definitely helped and i didn't notice any mpg issues as a result, so for me it was a winner.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
FYI, this setting is hit or miss. Some people feel nothing, some people do but get poor mileage, some people think it's a godsend. Just know going in it may or may not work. For me it was clearly different. I often had issue where I needed to cross a few lanes of traffic quickly 1/4 mile from my house. Sometimes it was dangerous as the car wouldn't react to my throttle input quick enough. This setting definitely helped and i didn't notice any mpg issues as a result, so for me it was a winner.

The delay isn't huge, but it's driving me crazy. I know I pushed the pedal... I know I did, and yet the tach does nothing. We're talking fractions of a second, here; as I'm sure you're aware, having sorted it yourself.

It won't take much at all to improve it for me. I don't want to "get used" to this behavior, as it will spoil my muscle memory everywhere else.

Maybe I can turn off that "starting assist" clutch feature, as well. It's neat being able to just let out the clutch and roll, but my feet are getting into arguments with it. :ROFLMAO:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I tried it for a while until eventually turning it off... the direct setting was nice for traction when getting on the gas in 1st but it made it a huge pain in the ass when re-engaging the clutch while going over speed bumps. Seemed to mostly be an issue after a cold start while I was leaving my apartment parking lot

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I can't tell a difference to be honest. I thought I could, but changing it back and fourth doesn't make a different to me. 2019 GTI SE w/dsg.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I can't tell a difference to be honest. I thought I could, but changing it back and fourth doesn't make a different to me. 2019 GTI SE w/dsg.
Precisely....it doesn't do a thing and the data support that vs. what people feel. I mean.....it's in the steering module!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Precisely....it doesn't do a thing and the data support that vs. what people feel. I mean.....it's in the steering module!
You seem to underestimate your own ignorance. You claim that the 'increased traction' setting doesn't do anything but that's because you thought it puts the car into permanent AWD mode. In reality, it alters the aggressiveness of the VAQ diff, so even FWD GTI's can benefit from it. And "just push the pedal harder" is not a good option when you're trying to maintain grip.

I drove around for a few months with the throttle response set to direct and forgot I ever touched it. After wondering why the car was surging so much when engaging the clutch during a roll I remembered changing the setting so I changed it back and what would you know, no more surging - back to perfectly smooth clutch engagements when rolling in 1st.

Perhaps DSG isn't affected as much, perhaps my throttle is already more 'touchy' from the tune. But the difference is there.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The delay isn't huge, but it's driving me crazy. I know I pushed the pedal... I know I did, and yet the tach does nothing. We're talking fractions of a second, here; as I'm sure you're aware, having sorted it yourself.

It won't take much at all to improve it for me. I don't want to "get used" to this behavior, as it will spoil my muscle memory everywhere else.

Maybe I can turn off that "starting assist" clutch feature, as well. It's neat being able to just let out the clutch and roll, but my feet are getting into arguments with it. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with @anotero get the BMS Pedal Tuner if you want fantastic throttle response at no cost to fuel mileage. I have it and anyone who drives my car response is always whoa or boy that throttle is jumpy.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You seem to underestimate your own ignorance. You claim that the 'increased traction' setting doesn't do anything but that's because you thought it puts the car into permanent AWD mode. In reality, it alters the aggressiveness of the VAQ diff, so even FWD GTI's can benefit from it. And "just push the pedal harder" is not a good option when you're trying to maintain grip.

I drove around for a few months with the throttle response set to direct and forgot I ever touched it. After wondering why the car was surging so much when engaging the clutch during a roll I remembered changing the setting so I changed it back and what would you know, no more surging - back to perfectly smooth clutch engagements when rolling in 1st.

Perhaps DSG isn't affected as much, perhaps my throttle is already more 'touchy' from the tune. But the difference is there.

What I was talking about is the increased traction setting in the AWD module adaptation channel "acoustic measuring wiring logic" doesn't make any changes that I saw when I logged the Haldex's activity. The fwd VAQ diff cars (GTI PP) - not sure b/c I haven't logged those and that is in a different control module/different thing entirely (and my car doesn't have that) so please hold the ignorance comment. I have those logs posted in the "free haldex tune" or similar thread(s) in the R forum.

I suggest if you want to change the ratio of accelerator pedal to throttle a pedal tuner box is what you should get. I will continue to ask for someone that thinks they are getting a more linear throttle response/accelerator position is to log this phenomena (direct/indirect settings in the "driving profile switchover" adaptation channel in the steering module) and show me that this change does what folks say...it's an easy one to do but as I talk about in that thread linked above, it looks like that ratio can change depending on how hard you push the pedal so you have to control that variable. This changes how quickly the steering changes between modes (if your car is equipped) - it's literally called "driving profile switchover" in the steering module. How do you explain watching what changes in that channel in live data and it's the driving mode? I'll have to tighten up and record my screen so folks can see what is changing with this mod. Also, would be cool to have someone log their accelerator/throttle %s that has a pedal tuner.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have a 2018 GTI Autobahn with DSG and a JB4. This setting makes a noticeable difference in pedal response.
Ok...how? What channel in VCDS in the steering module changed the throttle response that would be in the engine module? This is like me saying "Hey everyone I found a great new tweak...you can increase steering weight/feel. It's in the driver's door module." 100% placebo.

Edit. Just look at it this way. When you open the engine control unit, the live data portion has all the things that are associated with it including those that you can modify including the accelerator/throttle. When you open the steering control unit, the live data portion has all the things that are associated with it including those that you can modify and the accelerator/throttle aren't in it. It's just this works. I'm making a video of all of this hopefully this week and will post it up - I finally got the app to record my screen so we can watch what changes.

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
VCDS is the only way to go. I think if you have owned VWs in the past, you just know that VCDS has been around a long time and has good support and has a great product that won't disapear overnight.