GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone from Detroit or the Michigan Area?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Wheels are holding up great so far.. We’re just getting bad weather so I’ll have to check back in after winter is over. I plan on keeping the car until it’s last mile. I eventually want to end up at a full stage 2. Definitely will be getting new spark plugs, clutch, intake, intercooler, downpipe. Any suggestions on what do to first or what I need? Like I said, I’m really new to this and any information would help. I couldn’t really find a list of what mods should be done in a chronological order, so if anyone can put a quick list together, that would be dope too!
Are you jumping right to stage 2 or a progression? For stage 1 manual you'll want a clutch and maybe intercooler. Stage 2 is when you really should get an intercooler, downpipe, plugs, and just general maintenance things. Intake isn't really needed on this platform, it's more for show but helps a smidge but has a very high cost to performance ratio.
Im currently stage 2 and getting by without an intercooler but it's been cold enough back home and Detroit to where it's not needed yet

boticdan

Are you jumping right to stage 2 or a progression? For stage 1 manual you'll want a clutch and maybe intercooler. Stage 2 is when you really should get an intercooler, downpipe, plugs, and just general maintenance things. Intake isn't really needed on this platform, it's more for show but helps a smidge but has a very high cost to performance ratio.
Im currently stage 2 and getting by without an intercooler but it's been cold enough back home and Detroit to where it's not needed yet
And another question pops up, is it safe to go straight to 2? And if I do would I need to do all the upgrades at the same time? In general, is it better to progressively go to stage 2 vs going straight to stage 2? Thanks for the info! What does your mod list look like?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
And another question pops up, is it safe to go straight to 2? And if I do would I need to do all the upgrades at the same time? In general, is it better to progressively go to stage 2 vs going straight to stage 2? Thanks for the info! What does your mod list look like?
I just jumped right to stage two. Right now for performance I did a catted downpipe, eqt ots tune, spark plugs, drop in filter and the basic mods to the stock air intake. When it starts to get warmer/have a job I'll be looking for some sorta intercooler. You can try to space some things out like the clutch but it's not gonna last long at all.

SquintzGolfR

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hi all, Dearborn area here just picked up a ‘17 R

Attachments

• 373F8C89-D7FB-4F88-86E0-812A3AA36468.jpeg
    373F8C89-D7FB-4F88-86E0-812A3AA36468.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 129

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I work at the Ford New Model pilot plant off Oakwood. We should arrange an area VW meet up!
I know before Covid and everything someone in cork town i think it is would host a car show for the area vw and anyone else that wanted to show. pasteiner's cars and coffee is every Saturday btw if you wanna see some nice cars around, m1 is also good whenever they open up again