GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
So just because I use 40w oil I can’t read a graph showing Mobil 1 esp in 20w being > all other contenders other than Fuchs? How is LiquiMoly a clear standout in this test? Or HTHS test?

I BASED my recommendation on the graph data in this thread and said FS is even better than ESP.

But yes, YOU and YOUR posts definitely lost me.

Which part of this thread requires me to have an oil analysis in 20w to participate?

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
So just because I use 40w oil I can’t read a graph showing Mobil 1 esp in 20w being > all other contenders other than Fuchs? How is LiquiMoly a clear standout in this test? Or HTHS test?

Yes, YOU and YOUR posts definitely lost me.

Which part of this thread requires me to have an oil analysis to participate?

You're still struggling. I said that LiquiMoly and Fuchs were the two standouts. Fuchs has the best protection and is the only one that I would ever consider using in our cars (though I never would) and the LiquiMoly shows the best protection when trying to maximize fuel economy in a car that can safely run 508.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@nonegiven ..thank you for finishing your statements. At least I am not a mind reader, can’t speak for other members. Perhaps you could tell me why I shouldn’t ever use a Mobil 1 oil? Maybe you have seen a test I haven’t where it fared poorly, but here I see it only slightly off your Fuchs. So I am struggling, again.

Which oil do you use if it isn’t a secret?

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
@nonegiven ..thank you for finishing your statements. At least I am not a mind reader, can’t speak for other members. Perhaps you could tell me why I shouldn’t ever use a Mobil 1 oil? Maybe you have seen a test I haven’t where it fared poorly, but here I see it only slightly off your Fuchs.

Which oil do you use if it isn’t a secret?
You're still on the struggle bus. When did I say to never use Mobil 1? Please link to my direct quote.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
No one should be using these oils in their GTI or R anyway, especially if tuned.

"The HTHS value is measured in millipascal seconds (mPas). A higher value indicates a thicker oil film at high temperatures - which means a better protection of the engine against wear, as the oil film remains permanent and guarantees lubrication. A lower HTHS value, on the other hand, has the advantage that fuel savings and lower emissions can be achieved due to lower internal friction."
Here. To a poster who said he uses Mobil 1 or Castrol. Post 10 exactly.

Struggle is real.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Here. To a poster who said he uses Mobil 1 or Castrol. Post 10 exactly.
Ugh. We're talking about 508 0w20 oils in this thread. Perhaps re-reading the title of the thread will refresh your memory.

For anyone else living in a world of struggle with Stilja, I would never recommend running any of these oils (508 0w20) in their GTI or R, especially if tuned. The small increase in fuel economy is not work the tradeoff in engine protection (as I quoted above.) This thread has nothing to do with other oil weights, formulations, certifications, etc.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@nonegiven ..hey man, you aren’t making sense to anyone but you.

You have to be coherent and finish your thoughts. You can put up a reply to someone saying Mobil 1 and Castrol is what he uses and say you wouldn’t recommend any of them. Reply to the OP and THEN say it or finish your sentence by saying that you mean any of the oils tested.

I agree with you! I would never run 20w oil. But it’s been quite a struggle understanding what the author was trying to say. You aren’t communicating if other parties aren’t understanding what you’re trying to say, you’re just making noise.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
@nonegiven ..hey man, you aren’t making sense to anyone but you.

You have to be coherent and finish your thoughts. You can put up a reply to someone saying Mobil 1 and Castrol is what he uses and say you wouldn’t recommend any of them. Reply to the OP and THEN say it or finish your sentence by saying that you mean any of the oils tested.

I agree with you! I would never run 20w oil. But it’s been quite a struggle understanding what the author was trying to say. You aren’t communicating if other parties aren’t understanding what you’re trying to say, you’re just making noise.
You just can't stop struggling. This ENTIRE THREAD is about 508 0w20 oils.

Quit while you're behind.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
.... I would never recommend running any of these oils (508 0w20) in their GTI or R, especially if tuned. The small increase in fuel economy is not work the tradeoff in engine protection.
Well la di da. Are you a VW engineer? VW requires it for 19 GTIs.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Answer: Yes, 0W-20 is unquestionably safe for your engine. Manufacturers have been specifying 5W-20 and 0W-20 since the early part of the last decade and there is no evidence whatsoever that engine wear rates have increased. Engine designs and materials along with motor oil chemistry have made massive strides in the last 15 years, so engine wear has never been lower. The 5W-30 grade is rapidly being supplanted in new cars by 5W-20 and 0W-20. By the end of this decade, a new vehicle specifying 5W-30 will be a rarity. In fact, expect to see even lower viscosities like 0W-16 in the coming years.

https://www.oildepot.ca/0w-20-motor-oil-thin/