GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Aluminum Front Splitter

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Has anyone yet fabbed a functional front splitter? Generally speaking I know they're all "functional" to an extent, but I mean a track focused splitter that mounts to the body and not plastics/bumpers, blocks off the air passage for a proper dam, and has at least 3" in depth?

I keep thinking about fabbing one up out of alumalite, but I'm also unsure if the stock design is pretty good (certainly is for cooling) and just needs more forward mass from canards...?
Yes. use alumilite instead of aluminum. And mount it to the chassis, not the bumper.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Brackets off the crash bar

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone yet fabbed a functional front splitter? Generally speaking I know they're all "functional" to an extent, but I mean a track focused splitter that mounts to the body and not plastics/bumpers, blocks off the air passage for a proper dam, and has at least 3" in depth?

I keep thinking about fabbing one up out of alumalite, but I'm also unsure if the stock design is pretty good (certainly is for cooling) and just needs more forward mass from canards...?

Based on my experience making a new splitter for my R400 bumper, I think it would be fairly straight forward to make a splitter that runs from the front of the car back to the lower sub-frame. Essentially combining a splitter and a skid plate into a single design. You would have 3 potential solid mounting points using this approach as well. You could drop a bracket off the crash bar for the front mount, then use something like the mounting brackets for the alltrac skid plate for the middle, and of course use the sub-frame for the rear mounting point. The biggest challenge would be shaping the sides of the splitter to attach at the bottom of the wheel wells.

It would also make sense to do a nested 2-piece construction instead of just one large single piece both for material cost/size concerns and serviceability concerns.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So you've built one? What size, and how did you dam it? Do you recall where you mounted it to the chassis?
It was on a mk5 but the same concept. Built brackets and drilled into the frame rails in the front. Look up the diesel geek panzer plate, we mocked the brackets up from that design.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Loved that panzer plate

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
It was on a mk5 but the same concept. Built brackets and drilled into the frame rails in the front. Look up the diesel geek panzer plate, we mocked the brackets up from that design.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Unfortunately, alumalite isn't cheap or easy to find around me.

Based on my experience making a new splitter for my R400 bumper, I think it would be fairly straight forward to make a splitter that runs from the front of the car back to the lower sub-frame. Essentially combining a splitter and a skid plate into a single design. You would have 3 potential solid mounting points using this approach as well. You could drop a bracket off the crash bar for the front mount, then use something like the mounting brackets for the alltrac skid plate for the middle, and of course use the sub-frame for the rear mounting point. The biggest challenge would be shaping the sides of the splitter to attach at the bottom of the wheel wells.

It would also make sense to do a nested 2-piece construction instead of just one large single piece both for material cost/size concerns and serviceability concerns.
I've thought about building a sliding lower section in a two piece construction that when slid forward would allow for a larger splitter on the track, while when slid back would tuck away for ground clearance/safety on the street. I'd also plan NACA ducts for cooling the diff, transmission, and oil pan. I might also try to design NACA ducts to feed air to the brakes that the splitter would cover when slid back for street use.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Thanks, I'll look into it. Unfortunately, alumalite isn't cheap or easy to find around me.

I've thought about building a sliding lower section in a two piece construction that when slid forward would allow for a larger splitter on the track, while when slid back would tuck away for ground clearance/safety on the street. I'd also plan NACA ducts for cooling the diff, transmission, and oil pan. I might also try to design NACA ducts to feed air to the brakes that the splitter would cover when slid back for street use.
It isn't cheap youre right about that. Could always make a plywood splitter that's easily replicated. They tend to get damage on the track fairly easy because they have to be so low to the ground to actually be functional.

If you're building a track car delete the fog lights and use those inlets for your air ducting. You'll get better flow than using a naca duct with the air inlet from the bottom.

Here's a link with alumilite suppliers by state to help

https://professionalawesome.com/lis...MhSmBmNODouHrKyrTmwfsXWIXLdOKIMUB_HyZnk3uQ_jw

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Zac did ages ago. Impressed you never saw his setup.
https://instagram.com/zac_ross_racing?igshid=n5e1irjsirvb

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you're going to use in competition, be sure to check the requirements of whatever sanctioning body or class.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks! Due to work and well, life (14 year old).....test fitting and mounting has been delayed. I'm eager to do it...just have to have a "free" day over a weekend when not traveling to do it! lol

No competition....cosmetic only

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks! Due to work and well, life (14 year old).....test fitting and mounting has been delayed. I'm eager to do it...just have to have a "free" day over a weekend when not traveling to do it! lol

No competition....cosmetic only

A 14 year old is not life, it's potential free labor in your garage. That splitter should have been fitted a long time ago! :) :)