GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shift Knobs

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I got the Apex R knob which is their lightest because all the other knobs seemed too heavy for DSG.
Had something very interesting happen this morning, and I can't figure out how else it happened but I took a very hard (for on the street) left turn this morning and suddenly my car was in manual mode. I'm 99% sure the weight of this knob actually shifted from Drive to Manual mode in the turn. If that's the case, that is sorta problematic for anyone that tracks their car. Not sure if it'll flop from manual to drive as easily since there is a bit of a lean, but I'm sure it's possible.

I'm going to reach out to Raceseng and see what they say.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I got the Apex R knob which is their lightest because all the other knobs seemed too heavy for DSG.
I haven't had a chance to reach out to them, but I will ask about lighter options like the Delrin units (Signature, Sphereology).

My opinion is that their heavier knobs really shouldn't be spec'd to the DSG shifter. If your car shifts itself in hard corners, even if it's just between drive and M, that's no good.

Edit: Just looked, the Apex R knob is 155g while the Ashiko unit I got is 735g! There's a HUGE difference there, you're not kidding!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It would be cool if they made a delrin version of their knobs. I can see the shifter moving to manual on a hard turn being a problem.

After a few days of having it on the car...I'm pretty happy with mine. The pulling up is easy to get used to and it goes into gear smoothly. The only time I really move the knob...is at a stop light...I'll move the trans from D to N...and that doesn't need the knob to be pulled up.

I think for the guys that want a third party knob to work the same as factory...they should just stay with the stock one.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A little off topic, but does anyone else ever forget that they're not in manual mode and try to shift up only to put the car in Neutral and rev out?
I hate that there's not a lockout while in D to prevent this..
Almost never happens to me in my car, but all the time when renting.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
all the time
Usually half way through a left hand turn, yes.

Oh good I was starting to worry I was "special". So embarrassing when you have a passenger looool..

Almost never happens to me in my car, but all the time when renting.

Still interested in how you made your adaptor.. I wouldn't mind a DIY knob!
I think you've explained it on other threads but i'm still hopeless!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Oh good I was starting to worry I was "special". So embarrassing when you have a passenger looool..

Still interested in how you made your adaptor.. I wouldn't mind a DIY knob!
I think you've explained it on other threads but i'm still hopeless!

I bought a pvc pipe with an inner diameter that almost matches the outer diameter of the shifter shaft. I did some hole reaming with a drill, this was the most time consuming part. Also depending on the inner diameter of your knob, you may need to sand the pipe a little on the outside so the knob fits. The shifter shaft has two opposite grooves open at the top. I used those as guides that keep the adapter from rotating about the shaft. Drill two holes in the pipe where the pipe interfaces with the grooves. Insert small headless hex screws in the holes -- they will guide the adapter along the grooves and keep it from rotating.

Now for the trigger mechanism. The shaft has a plastic rod with a cutout, kind of like a huge needle eye. Make a cutout in the pvc pipe on opposite sides, get a metal plate that is the same width as the length of the cutout in the plastic rod (the closer the dimensions, the less slop there will be). This plate will act as the actuator for the shifter lock (just replaces the trigger). That's pretty much it. Now just need to examine how the know is meant to be attached and tweak the pipe so you can slap the knob on.

The pipe had a large enough outer diameter that I was able to use the ring at the top of the boot and it's nice and snug.

It may seem complicated "on paper", but is actually very straightforward. The most expensive part was the Momo knob. :)

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I bought a pvc pipe with an inner diameter that almost matches the outer diameter of the shifter shaft. I did some hole reaming with a drill, this was the most time consuming part. Also depending on the inner diameter of your knob, you may need to sand the pipe a little on the outside so the knob fits. The shifter shaft has two opposite grooves open at the top. I used those as guides that keep the adapter from rotating about the shaft. Drill two holes in the pipe where the pipe interfaces with the grooves. Insert small headless hex screws in the holes -- they will guide the adapter along the grooves and keep it from rotating.

Now for the trigger mechanism. The shaft has a plastic rod with a cutout, kind of like a huge needle eye. Make a cutout in the pvc pipe on opposite sides, get a metal plate that is the same width as the length of the cutout in the plastic rod (the closer the dimensions, the less slop there will be). This plate will act as the actuator for the shifter lock (just replaces the trigger). That's pretty much it. Now just need to examine how the know is meant to be attached and tweak the pipe so you can slap the knob on.

The pipe had a large enough outer diameter that I was able to use the ring at the top of the boot and it's nice and snug.

It may seem complicated "on paper", but is actually very straightforward. The most expensive part was the Momo knob. :)

Thanks again! I have a knob sitting around and want to try this some weekend..!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
After spending more time with the Raceseng shifter...I'm pretty happy with it overall. The pulling up of the knob is something I got used pretty fast. The weight of the knob really isn't an issue. The movement of the knob isn't any different different than stock. The shifter just feels less notchy-er when moving the lever with a heavier knob.