GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Dealer switched my 2019 Rabbit 6spd MT to 5w-40 due to rough dle, poor driveability, and terrible gas mileage issues that destroyed the O2 sensor in 600 miles. Car has run perfect since switching to 5w-40. Dealer said there's a bulletin out there for the 2019 MT cars, but no one has seen it. They also claimed manuals would be going back to old oil spec for 2020.

I can't confirm this through any official means, it's what my dealer is telling me. They said they've seen 3 2019's running the same easy and destroy the O2 sensor and switching oil back resolved the issues with all 3 cars.

Manual cars are supposedly getting an ECU update at some point too, due to the stalling issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So it’s just on the MT ? I’m assuming the ECU settings are different from DSG for obvious reasons, but I really don’t like running 0w20 in my car either way.

Nickva

Lol, that's pretty funny. VW didn't change the engine and would have to provide some rational, that doesn't exist, for voiding the warranty over oil weight, especially since the R still uses 5w-30 and 5w-40. Your dealer staff are idiots.

And what's your point? If your car isn't having issues, why would you ask to charge the oil to fix a problem your car doesn't have? Or are you implying that since your car doesn't have an issue, my car wasn't really getting 26 mpg on the highway and didn't destroy an O2 sensor in 1200 miles?

Try reading. Dealer changed the oil to fix my issues based on a tech bulletin.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Different weight I can get 3 times cheaper at Walmart. I can get a 5qt Mobile 1 0W-20 VW approved for $10 changes vs the 508:00 about $50 for 6 qt

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nickva

Different weight I can get 3 times cheaper at Walmart. I can get a 5qt Mobile 1 0W-20 VW approved for $10 changes vs the 508:00 about $50 for 6 qt

I meant mobile 1 0W-40 VW approved.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
imo, use a 504 5w-30 or this cheap MB 229.51...same as 229.5 but reduced saps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Cj1

2019 GTI, 502 spec oil is preferred per VW tech support.

Just picked up my 2019 GTI this evening. First thing I noticed when i popped the hood was the sticker specifying 508 0W-20 oil. Searched and didn't see any threads talking about it so thought I'd get the word out. Not sure what the best options are for this yet.

Just bought a 2019 GTI, and I have been on the phone with numerous dealerships that all seem not to know what the facts are. I thought that my owners manual and sticker under cars bonnet that clearly states VW 508 spec 0w-20 required with no substitute allowed except in an emergency, you can use up to 1/2 quart of VW 502.

Turns out that is the wrong information. I went straight to the source and called VW customer care and explained my case and concern about the confusion. There is a simple way to find out and have this information logged and saved to your customer number/VIN. Just give them the VIN to run and they will come back with what oil that particular VIN requires. It turns out that my 2019 GTI requires VW 502 spec 5w-40 (call was made 11/1/2019).

Now I was nonchalant about why I was calling them. I was calling because the dealership filled my 19' GTI with VW 502 5w-40 Castrol Professional synthetic instead of the 508 0w-20. I was concerned that if this service damaged the engine (as too thick oils can affect VVT and cylinder deactivation in all engines) or there was ever damage in the future, VW could fall back on this and I wanted to get it corrected if that was the case.

If a dealer messes up your car servicing it incorrectly, it is not a warranty issue through VW and the owner of that vehicle will have to take up issue with that dealership. I've had this happen in the past with another manufacturer, it's no fun. So whether the internals are slightly different or that it has a different oil pump,... according to my cars VIN per VW it requires VW 502 5w-40 motor oil and there is now a paper trail with this logged call telling me so. If for some reason they go back on what they said and state VW 508, well, now VW has to honor warranty if any issues arise from use of VW 502 spec oil (which I am fairly certain none will).

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Just bought a 2019 GTI, and I have been on the phone with numerous dealerships that all seem not to know what the facts are. I thought that my owners manual and sticker under cars bonnet that clearly states VW 508 spec 0w-20 required with no substitute allowed except in an emergency, you can use up to 1/2 quart of VW 502.

Turns out that is the wrong information. I went straight to the source and called VW customer care and explained my case and concern about the confusion. There is a simple way to find out and have this information logged and saved to your customer number/VIN. Just give them the VIN to run and they will come back with what oil that particular VIN requires. It turns out that my 2019 GTI requires VW 502 spec 5w-40 (call was made 11/1/2019).

Now I was nonchalant about why I was calling them. I was calling because the dealership filled my 19' GTI with VW 502 5w-40 Castrol Professional synthetic instead of the 508 0w-20. I was concerned that if this service damaged the engine (as too thick oils can affect VVT and cylinder deactivation in all engines) or there was ever damage in the future, VW could fall back on this and I wanted to get it corrected if that was the case.

If a dealer messes up your car servicing it incorrectly, it is not a warranty issue through VW and the owner of that vehicle will have to take up issue with that dealership. I've had this happen in the past with another manufacturer, it's no fun. So whether the internals are slightly different or that it has a different oil pump,... according to my cars VIN per VW it requires VW 502 5w-40 motor oil and there is now a paper trail with this logged call telling me so. If for some reason they go back on what they said and state VW 508, well, now VW has to honor warranty if any issues arise from use of VW 502 spec oil (which I am fairly certain none will).

My brothers local Mercedes dealership recently serviced his ML63 AMG and not long after it broke down, turns out they had used the wrong oil and ended up replacing the whole (hand built) engine! Would have cost him as the owner a fortune had he not spotted the oil specs on the paperwork and taken it further, so definitely worth making that call to VW.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I wouldn’t trust VW customer service providing you the oil spec needed by giving them your VIN. What does the sticker say under the hood? Bet it’s 508.00 only.

I ordered a kit from DAP but they sent me 5w-40 in error so even these experts can get mixed up. (They are shipping me the proper 0w-20 now).

While waiting for the proper oil to arrive I bought 6 liters from my local dealer. Got 6 of the few remaining stock there. Parts manager this morning told VW is changing their supplier from Castrol to Mobil. First I’ve heard of this. NOT sure if it’s just for the 508 spec or for all oils.

And I can confirm the OEM Castrol oil is in fact green.

I don’t doubt some 19s (6MTs) have been switched to 5w-40 to resolve stalling issues but I’d be very leery of that if it was my car over long term effects. I know of no talk about going back to the 502/504 spec for 19s officially.

My advice is to stay with what’s stated in the manual and if a local dealer switches to be sure to keep the paperwork for possible need down the road.

Last edited:

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Solely in the interest of being helpful to V-Dub owners who are bound and determined to conform to VW's requirement to use a 0W-20 weight 508 oil and are trying to find it and save a buck or two, Deutsche Auto Parts (aka "DAP") -- with whom I have no financial ties whatsoever -- sells Castrol's 0W-20 LL-IV Professional for $7.50 a liter. They also sell it as part of maintenance kit (oil, filter, drain plug) : https://www.shopdap.com/5k-maintenance-kit-0w20-508-00-spec-oil.html.

Personally (as I've previously indicated), I'd go with Castrol's 0W-40 weight oil instead, but that's me.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Solely in the interest of being helpful to V-Dub owners who are bound and determined to conform to VW's requirement to use a 0W-20 weight 508 oil and are trying to find it and save a buck or two, Deutsche Auto Parts (aka "DAP") -- with whom I have no financial ties whatsoever -- sells Castrol's 0W-20 LL-IV Professional for $7.50 a liter. They also sell it as part of maintenance kit (oil, filter, drain plug) : https://www.shopdap.com/5k-maintenance-kit-0w20-508-00-spec-oil.html.

Personally (as I've previously indicated), I'd go with Castrol's 0W-40 weight oil instead, but that's me.
I’m concerned that with the supposedly different oil pump, it might cause problems of some sort

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Corpin: huh?

GroceryGTIer: FWIW, permit me to quote GTIfan99, post #28, from the "Tracking" board ("Oil Thread"):
"I've been running 5w-40 in my 2019 at the direction of the dealer to solve the stalling issue and have had no issues. I get well above the advertised gas mileage even with heavier oil. I autocross and track the car, so I was going to do the heavier oil anyways."

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Corpin: huh?

GroceryGTIer: FWIW, permit me to quote GTIfan99, post #28, from the "Tracking" board ("Oil Thread"):
"I've been running 5w-40 in my 2019 at the direction of the dealer to solve the stalling issue and have had no issues. I get well above the advertised gas mileage even with heavier oil. I autocross and track the car, so I was going to do the heavier oil anyways."
Yeah, I’ve seen people say that. I don’t have a stalling issue, I think that’s mainly limited to the 6 speeds. I realize the engines are the same, so it shouldn’t matter though.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I agree the engines are the same, but I'd be very surprised to learn that the mapping of the DSG and MT EMUs are the same, particularly as it pertains to the "step-down" to idling. That, I (admittedly speculate) is the underlying issue -- i.e., the (original) mapping of the 2019 MT EMUs is such that the variable camshaft timing unit can't hold sufficient oil pressure as the engine falls to idle on 0W-20 weight oil, and the engine stalls. VoA's latest TSB changes the EMU's mapping and how the EMU sequences to idle to enable the engine to continue running on the lighter weight oil. That's why -- again, IMHO/speculation -- those who are choosing to run either a 5W-40 or 0W-40 weight oil may have found better, self-help fix. And let's not lose sight of the fact the EA888 engine series was originally designed and manufactured to scoot down the autobahns of the Father Land on 0W-40 weight oil. Works for me.