GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

gravelriderwma

For you guys that are in cold climates, it's been pretty cold here lately and I've noticed below 10F and especially below 0F I get essentially no output from my Helix sub, and the regular car speakers also sound pretty lousy. Everything Seems to work just fine once it warms up. I guess I'm going to take it easy on the volume in cold weather to avoid possibly breaking one of the sub speakers when they are frozen solid.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
For you guys that are in cold climates, it's been pretty cold here lately and I've noticed below 10F and especially below 0F I get essentially no output from my Helix sub, and the regular car speakers also sound pretty lousy. Everything Seems to work just fine once it warms up. I guess I'm going to take it easy on the volume in cold weather to avoid possibly breaking one of the sub speakers when they are frozen solid.

wow never even heard of that. you must park outside then?

shook978

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally got to installing my Helix system... installation seem a little daunting at first but once I got rolling and watched a couple videos, I was good to go.

Sounds pretty good to me unprogramed but can we verify that once program it will improve especially volume wise? Unprogrammed it seems pretty easy to max out the volume.

I know once I program it I can never default back to the original setting... so I want to make sure programming will be an improvement over the default setting.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I finally got to installing my Helix system... installation seem a little daunting at first but once I got rolling and watched a couple videos, I was good to go.

Sounds pretty good to me unprogramed but can we verify that once program it will improve especially volume wise? Unprogrammed it seems pretty easy to max out the volume.

I know once I program it I can never default back to the original setting... so I want to make sure programming will be an improvement over the default setting.

Can verify, it sounds better after programming. $18 well worth it.

shook978

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually ended up getting it programmed by someone local... Definitely sounds better and louder..@2013R not sure I'm with you in saying it sounded better unprogrammed.. it definitely didn't

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I actually ended up getting it programmed by someone local... Definitely sounds better and louder..@2013R not sure I'm with you in saying it sounded better unprogrammed.. it definitely didn't to me

don't forget, all sound is subjective. no one can tell me what my own ears heard.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
don't forget, all sound is subjective. no one can tell me what my own ears heard.
While this is true, you are in a extremely small minority of people that preferred how the system sounded before programming. I remember well enough how it sounded in my car to me before and after programming and I have a really hard time thinking anyone, subjectivity aside, could prefer the un-programmed sound. My hearing isn't perfect, but I've had frequency training and worked in recording studios for mixing in the past so I've heard a few things.

I just wish it were possible for an a/b test to be performed and really seal the deal. For you, if un-programmed is best you have no option to go back which is a shame. In this thread we've been telling people that not only are the units not pre-programmed (57, 4 door Golf) like a lot of VW literature states, but that the sound is 100% improved after programming. Well, unless you are you :ROFLMAO: but there could be others out there that this thread is telling them to do something that isn't beneficial.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
it was less busy before programming, which to my ears, means cleaner. the programming appeared to boost certain areas. i prefer to make those decisions myself, but that defeats the entire purpose of the Helix setup. that is why I am still considering upgrading to the PP62 so i can have full control over everything, at an additional cost of about $600-$750... ouch. I have been talking to an overseas guy who has the PP26 and showed me some configuration stuff on it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Interesting.

I don't think there was any channel separation or proper sound stage unprogrammed, so the sound felt like everything was just coming from the center. I guess that's less busy, but not how most stereo music is meant to be heard. Tonally it was an absolute mess in my car with the factory EQ needing to dip out a ton of midrange, add a bit of highs and bass was weak to non-existent before as well. Now my EQ is flat, which I feel is what is intended with a programmed system.

I hope the PP62 works out for you so you can tweak the system to your liking!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I also upgraded my front door woofers to Dayton Audio 6.5" last week, and have a video series on that install. What this gained for me is much better lows up front. No sign of problems with my Helix amp so far..

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I also upgraded my front door woofers to Dayton Audio 6.5" last week, and have a video series on that install. What this gained for me is much better lows up front. No sign of problems with my Helix amp so far..
I don't think this has ever been measured, but the theory is that the helix isn't scooping out low freqs and sending them only to the sub, so the door woofers are getting full bore bass. If you toss some solid woofers up there they should definitely be able to take advantage of that. For other less robust mid-bass or woofers, a cap might be beneficial to take some stress off of them.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think this has ever been measured, but the theory is that the helix isn't scooping out low freqs and sending them only to the sub, so the door woofers are getting full bore bass. If you toss some solid woofers up there they should definitely be able to take advantage of that. For other less robust mid-bass or woofers, a cap might be beneficial to take some stress off of them.

FO SHO.... the speaker change brought a lot more sub levels in the front seats. really created a more surrounding subwoofer section, or at least mid-bass section. i was going to do tweets next, but i honestly dont think i will bother. given the costs and labor involved, vs what i would hear with a tweet change, just doesnt seem worth it. i would want some $250 tweets, so there you go..

gravelriderwma

wow never even heard of that. you must park outside then?
Yep, outside in the weather. Car covered in frost or snow most mornings this time of year. I did a little research and as Diggs24 said it seems pretty normal for subs in that kind of weather. Also for what its worth when I did the programming it sounded better but I've got an Alltrack wagon so that may be why I heard an improvement in my particular setup after programming.