GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

golf R exhaust tips

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been looking at replacement catback exhausts for the R, but I simply can't justify spending $1300-$1500 on an exhaust. Right now the car sounds good with just the resonator delete and turning off the soundakator, but I'd like to change out the exhaust tips. I've looked and I've not found a decent DIY or suggestion on tips to buy. I'd prefer to do this myself and get some clamp on tips. Right now I'm not a big fan of the oval tips, would like to install some round tips that aren't slashed preferably in black, grey or satin. Suggestions?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Get under your car and take a look at how the stock exhaust tips are setup, I don't think there's a way to do anything clamp on.

The chrome plated ovals are basically just slip ons over a similar shaped pipe. If you cut that portion off I'm not sure there would be enough pipe to clamp anything to, or at the right angle/spacing.

I'd talk to a local exhaust shop, see what tips they have available to weld on or if you can purchase something you like and bring them in to have setup.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Get under your car and take a look at how the stock exhaust tips are setup, I don't think there's a way to do anything clamp on.

The chrome plated ovals are basically just slip ons over a similar shaped pipe. If you cut that portion off I'm not sure there would be enough pipe to clamp anything to, or at the right angle/spacing.

I'd talk to a local exhaust shop, see what tips they have available to weld on or if you can purchase something you like and bring them in to have setup.

From what I've seen, those factory tips are spot welded on, so I think if you're careful, you can remove the tips and have some pipe left to clamp a new tip on to. You're right, I need to get a closer look, but I was hoping someone had already gone thru this process and could share what they did...

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
So I looked closer at the actual exhaust and there doesn't seem to be a way to add just exhaust tips. While the chrome surround can be removed, the actual tailpipe is flared to match the chrome tips, so there is no straight section of pipe to slide a replacement tip onto. This is probably doable by a professional and welding on some tips, but it doesn't look like installing a simple slide on tip can be done easily...

Leader

This was one of the first things I looked into after taking delivery last April. Not being a fan of OVAL tailpipes, I wanted to swap them for ROUND ones. As others have posted, the chrome tip is oval and spot-welded to the tailpipe, which is also oval. So, removing the chrome oval tips really nets you nothing.
I suspect the oval tail pipes could be heated up and "reshaped" to circular (at the tip), which would allow you to fit a round, chrome exhaust tip, but that's probably more time/expense than this cosmetic mod warrants. I'm still stock at this point.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Too bad they aren't black chrome so they would match the shiny black trim elsewhere on the car. They're way too expensive to buy another set and have them stripped and rechromed. Paint won't last.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That actually looks really good. How is the paint holding up?
That's what I want to know too. Did you sandpaper the chrome to scuff it up to help adhesion and use high temperature paint? Primer? Even painted they will still get dull from the exhaust. I clean mine with Windex every other day and use Never Dull when that doesn't work. There's no good solution. Makes me yearn for my early build MK4 with the hidden muffler.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Powdercoat.
I had something powdercoated before. All I can say is I need ot find another shop. It was OK for a yard decoration but it would never be good enough for a car. I believe they sandblasted it. The coating was not evenly applied.

I read where my tips just slip on but other say theirs are welded. Are some years welded?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I had something powdercoated before. All I can say is I need ot find another shop. It was OK for a yard decoration but it would never be good enough for a car. I believe they sandblasted it. The coating was not evenly applied.

I read where my tips just slip on but other say theirs are welded. Are some years welded?

Go someplace that powdercoats wheels.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

mk7 is held on by clips, mk7.5 is spot welded