GOLFMKV

F**K ECS & Maxton Design!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Long story short, I bought a Maxton Design splitter from ECS back in August so it's only 5 months old, max. Last week I noticed that there was a decent size chunk missing from it, which you can see in the picture. So I reached out to ECS to see if I could get it replaced with a new one since it's less than a year old (1 year limited warranty). They requested a picture of it and how it got damaged. Sent them the picture and told them that I have no idea how it happened as I never bumped it into any curbs or parking blocks (I always back my car in to a parking spot) or anything. I suggested that maybe somebody that is jealous or pissed off at me might have kicked it. After a few discussions, they said it's not covered but could discount a new one for me. Basically told them to fuck off and that I will contact Maxton Design directly. So I did the same thing with Maxton. Sent the picture and my explanation and after a few exchanges, they told me having it replaced is not covered because they do not warranty their products. WTF!!! So now what do I do? Bite the bullet and purchase a discounted one from ECS?

Attachments

• 20200104_123929.jpg
    20200104_123929.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 596

Navi

Autocross Champion
that's a battle scar from the streets. No company would ever be liable for that on a front lip. Come on man. Seriously?

I do agree though, fuck ECS and Maxton - in general though. Not lip specific.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Whats is there to even warranty on a lip?
I could see if it was fiberglass or carbon and the coating was peeling off or something.
But on just a black plastic lip? I can't say I'm surprised at their actions.
Definitely just looks like a road rock got it.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
that's a battle scar from the streets. No company would ever be liable for that on a front lip. Come on man. Seriously?

I do agree though, fuck ECS and Maxton - in general though. Not lip specific.

Battle scar from the streets? I'm not off-roading the damn car and the splitter should be able to handle the occasional pebble from the highway, seriously.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
mine did the same thing...they told me it was the roads or stones or some bs excuse. I just bit the bullet and ordered a different version and so far no issues.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So now what do I do? Bite the bullet and purchase a discounted one from ECS?

I don't have a lip on my car simply because I know something like this would annoy me, but I would say based on the reading I've done around here, I think your best solution is to buy a better lip like the one that BFI recommended above. More expensive? Yes. More durable? Also yes.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Drive to Richmond and copy my aluminum one before I mount it!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Battle scar from the streets? I'm not off-roading the damn car and the splitter should be able to handle the occasional pebble from the highway, seriously.

pay for shit products, get shit products. It literally the lowest external body piece on a car. What do you think would be best case scenario for that lip? Just cause you don't feel it or don't remember, doesn't mean it is not happening.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yeah, unfortunately, manufacturers aren't going to cover damage to body parts like this. I could see if maybe it was warped, or discolored; but even then that's stretching it.

If you're looking for a new lip, a great alternative to Maxton is Aerofabb. We can help you get squared away with either a V1 or V2.

https://blackforestindustries.com/c...abb-vw-mk7-gti-v2-front-splitter-pre-facelift

I was torn between Maxton and Aerofabb's V2. I went with Maxton because they were having a sale at the time.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
pay for shit products, get shit products. It literally the lowest external body piece on a car. What do you think would be best case scenario for that lip? Just cause you don't feel it or don't remember, doesn't mean it is not happening.

Eh, whatever... Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. I'll just buy another one.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
If you had done some research before hand, the maxton lips are known to break fairly easily. You’re the first person I’ve seen think they would warranty it. Most warranties in general only cover manufacturing defects in which this is not one. This is not fault on ECS or Maxton in this situation, nor are they obligated to cover it. If you want a more durable lip, there are other brands as already recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.