GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
These will be going on a 4Motion Sportwagen (smaller master cylinder than GTI/PP/R), so pedal travel is a potential concern. Sounds like it's worth returning the 340's.

Are these the 345mm rotors I'm looking for? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-disc-zimmermann-z-coat-1k0615301m#description

The 2mm of width shouldn't matter for pedal travel. All brake systems are self adjusting to take up pad wear, so it's just like you're installing pads that are 1mm wider when new.

The master cylinder absolutely WILL affect pedal travel, and braking force. I'd seriously consider swapping the master cylinder over if I were you, or picking a different brake upgrade with properly sized pistons for your setup.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’ve considered upgrading the MC. Post #44 (page 3) of this thread shows the calculated Macan caliper piston area essentially matching the TTRS calipers. From messaging with another Golf owner, the TTRS brake upgrade on the GSW doesn’t result in a longer pedal. I would assume that may also translate here.

If I were to upgrade the MC, does that require a brake booster & reservoir swap as well? Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I’ve considered upgrading the MC. Post #44 (page 3) of this thread shows the calculated Macan caliper piston area essentially matching the TTRS calipers. From messaging with another Golf owner, the TTRS brake upgrade on the GSW doesn’t result in a longer pedal. I would assume that may also translate here.

If I were to upgrade the MC, does that require a brake booster & reservoir swap as well? Thanks.

The problem is the GTI PP/CCS/R ...all have a slightly bigger MC as they all share a 60mm piston front brake (340mm discs) with bigger rear vented brakes...so a bigger system than all the other Mk7 golfs..

If you have the above bigger system from the factory, you will be OK..if not then this where you might have a problem with pedal travel...

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Indeed Dave, but the other Golf owner I messaged with also drives a Golf Sportwagen and hasn’t upgraded his MC with the TTRS calipers.

Thoughts on need for exchanging the brake booster & reservoir with a MC upgrade? Not sure if these are different parts/part #’s.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Indeed Dave, but the other Golf owner I messaged with also drives a Golf Sportwagen and hasn’t upgraded his MC with the TTRS calipers.

Thoughts on need for exchanging the brake booster & reservoir with a MC upgrade? Not sure if these are different parts/part #’s.

some people state they have not noticed any difference....& there have been conversations re the MC & its only a few mills difference is dimensions.....

VW use the same kit for the 288mm front discs..some have calipers with 55mm pistons & some have calipers with 57mm pistons as I did.....& the 57mm piston is actually designed mainly for the 312mm discs (DCC/GTD/GTI)......so go figure!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
More nice two piece 345mm front discs for mk6 Golf "R" to work with the Macan calipers….

Tar-ox, & available in serval types, from plain to grooved/drilled...

https://www.tarox.co.uk/product/front-tarox-brake-discs-volkswagen-golf-mk6-r-bespoke/
& also DBA again with several types...also in wavy edge "pad eaters"...like the Audi RS ones...

https://dbabrakes.co.uk/catalogue/VOLKSWAGEN/Golf (Mk6)/2.0 Turbo R (PR-1LM) (2009-2013)/
Both of these are coming in at under £900 for a pair of discs.....

So a set of Macan Brembo 4 pots & a set of light weight 2 piece discs, then pads & hoses to get....not a bad set-up for a GTI/R....& better & lighter than OEM..& can still fit certain 17" rims...!!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The 2mm of width shouldn't matter for pedal travel. All brake systems are self adjusting to take up pad wear, so it's just like you're installing pads that are 1mm wider when new.

The master cylinder absolutely WILL affect pedal travel, and braking force. I'd seriously consider swapping the master cylinder over if I were you, or picking a different brake upgrade with properly sized pistons for your setup.

Just finished installing new 345 x 32 rotors. Drove back to back with 340 x 30. There is absolutely a difference. Both on new pads.

I'll say the pedal was also longer before and after I did a trackday with PP brakes and stock pads, after using half the pads up in a day too. It's only a small amount, but it is noticeable. pedal gets firmer faster and hard about 1/8 to a 1/4 higher. I can tell because the brake pedal is higher when I heal and toe.

The pads leave .5 to 1mm top and 2.5 to 3 mm at hub not swept. You don't notice the area at the hub with new rotors it they have a corrosion coating on them and the area at the top is the same as the stock mk6 R leaves.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So pedal is shorter and braking power is better with the Mk6R 345x32 rotors compared to the R/PP rotors?

Pedal travel shorter and firms up quicker.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
RSE16 in 17 x 8.5 fits without spacers according to my conversions with their support. I sent them the template.

RSE05 in 17 x 8 supposedly fits too.

Both are pretty affordable.

Spoke with Konig too and sent them the template too. They don't have anything in a 17 that fits without a spacer.

@GTIfan99 just saw a thread on FB about konig wheels and the potential for brake clearance to be a problem. They said that 17" won't fit without spacers, but did you happen to ask (or can you ask) if their 18" will clear? I'm looking at a set of Hypergrams and the person on facebook said the clearance is tight with them on the PP setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99 just saw a thread on FB about konig wheels and the potential for brake clearance to be a problem. They said that 17" won't fit without spacers, but did you happen to ask (or can you ask) if their 18" will clear? I'm looking at a set of Hypergrams and the person on facebook said the clearance is tight with them on the PP setup

I only asked about the 17" offerings. Sorry.

Aluizio

Ready to race!
Hi!
I drive in Brazil a MK7 gti and I’m planning to upgrade the brakes for track days. My car is a DSG with IS38, LSD and KW coilover. So, brake is what I really need to upgrade now.

This Macan calipers solution is really interesting.
From what I read and with Gtifan99 help (thank you!), in planning to buy Macan Calipers and 345 discs (mkVI R)

About the pads, I’m thinking to use EBC yellow.
Do you know if EBC DP42070R will fit?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hi!
I drive in Brazil a MK7 gti and I’m planning to upgrade the brakes for track days. My car is a DSG with IS38, LSD and KW coilover. So, brake is what I really need to upgrade now.

This Macan calipers solution is really interesting.
From what I read and with Gtifan99 help (thank you!), in planning to buy Macan Calipers and 345 discs (mkVI R)

About the pads, I’m thinking to use EBC yellow.
Do you know if EBC DP42070R will fit?

One of the main benefits of running the Brembos is the inceased availability of pad options and the ease of swapping to track specific pads.

EBC yellow is not what you want. Get some Power Stop Z26 for steet and get a real track pad to swap in for track.