GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit MIB2 Car-net (Climate control through app) Module J949 Present

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
Good day People,

First time posting on this forum and I know for sure this is not the most easy to answer question
People who respond, thanks for taking the time to do so!

I will try to explain it as short as possible:

Car Specs Original:
E-Golf model 2015 (manufacture 2014)
Original MIB1
Original Module J949
No Carnet

Car Specs Now:
MIB2 Retrofit

Here is my question:
I want to have app connection with my car to pre-heat it when it is loading.
I know you need: MIB2/J949 Module and Car net subscription
Read for hours on different forums and all people were stopped by the problem that when you put in your VIN at the register website VW it says: Your car does not have Car-Net services or your car is not suitable for Car-Net
Well, I can just add it with my VIN, no faults at all. Also I presume that, because it is a electric MK7, it must have the ability for app control.

When I try in the headhunt it says: Connection with online service is not available, try again later
Tried it through hotspot phone/Hotspot Home internet connection and with internal SIM car in MIB2, all the same result.

Does somebody know the right answer to this one??

Thanks a million!!

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,261

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Going by your first picture it may just need a software update.

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
Thanks guys.
This built year was already active with car net so there is indeed a software update but it must work with the present software.

I never read any success story’s about this. But Ido not understand why. You can buy a car net subscription and I have everything that I need.

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
@2018gti
Do you know some kind of super thread about this with people want to achieve the same goal?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
No, there's not much people around here using this feature..
I have a GTE which supports this feature. You need to know that even if you have the software all worked out, it will not work without subscription, and if the car didn't have this feature from factory, VW will not let you buy a subscription through the online portal.

There are different types of CarNet. The CarNet feature you need is not MIB related, it works directly through the OCU unit. You might want to look into the following:
- OCU software update
- Gateway software update
- MIB2 software update (that's the most easiest ;-) ) What is your current version, I can supply you with a download.

And maybe the question I should have started with: did it work before the MIB2 retrofit?

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
Hi chillout,

Thanks for you reply,

It was not previous working, original.
Can you tell me what OCU is? Is that the J949 module or something else?
and, is it true that the Car net enabled cars have a internal sim somewhere which have always connection with the VW servers?

The MIB version is attached as pics.
So, I will never get my subscription linked between my VIN and the VW servers because they are refusing to help people who had carnet not activated from factory.

And if so, that will only be because they don’t want, not because they can’t.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 44B5EEB2-EAD3-48CF-ABAA-436465E7AD33.jpeg
    44B5EEB2-EAD3-48CF-ABAA-436465E7AD33.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 581
  • 81265666-D575-4D2F-B4AA-5CBB08FDD63C.jpeg
    81265666-D575-4D2F-B4AA-5CBB08FDD63C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 400

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
@Chillout

Did you activated it after retrofiting or was it present from factory?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
It was not previous working, original.
Can you tell me what OCU is? Is that the J949 module or something else?
That's indeed the J949 module. OCU stands for Online Control Unit.

and, is it true that the Car net enabled cars have a internal sim somewhere which have always connection with the VW servers?
Yes, that's inside the OCU unit. You cannot use the data connection to get cool stuff like streaming audio, google maps, etc.

The MIB version is attached as pics.
1187 is pretty recent. That should not be causing any issues.

So, I will never get my subscription linked between my VIN and the VW servers because they are refusing to help people who had carnet not activated from factory.

And if so, that will only be because they don’t want, not because they can’t.
Exactly. Basically it all boils down to this: the real experts in this field are the developers that made this specific feature, but they are different people than the ones who made the "enable this feature" feature. No one has full control over then entire supply chain of features. So.. you're screwed ;-) However... Maybe there's a different way. I've been interfacing with the internal EXLAP channel of the car, which holds a lot of data like battery charge status and such (see my performance monitor app in my signature). There's probably a way to disclose this information over the web in some way.

[/QUOTE]
@Chillout

Did you activated it after retrofiting or was it present from factory?

all was present from factory, except the MIB2 and MIB2.5

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
Thanks for your reply Chillout. Took me literally a week to find a answer. Not much “retrofitting” car-net on the web.

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
@Chillout

Do you mind asking you another question?
I totally understand now that de J949 Module has a built in Sim which connects to App control.
but what I do not understand is why my retrofitted MIB2 has a SIM slot? I tried to use it but it's useless...

For what purposes can this be used?

Thanks!

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
@Chillout

Do you mind asking you another question?
I totally understand now that de J949 Module has a built in Sim which connects to App control.
but what I do not understand is why my retrofitted MIB2 has a SIM slot? I tried to use it but it's useless...

For what purposes can this be used?

Thanks!

The MIB2 with sim has telephone and data features. You can use it as a telefoon to call your contacts, or use the data connection to make a hotspot so your passengers can use the internet connection. Also, There's a feature called "Carnet Guide & Inform", which is a MIB2 feature. It can be enabled on all Discover Pro MIB2, but your VIN and unit have to be known at VW to be able to use it, and you need a (paid) subscription. See more about it here: https://connect.volkswagen-we.com/nl_NL/car-net-ontdekken/guide-en-inform.html
By the way, who supplied the retrofit? If they sold you a version with a SIM slot, while not enabling it, they were ripping you off, because that unit is more expensive than the one without...

The other Carnet feature you are looking for is E-remote.

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
@Chillout

Couldn't ask for a better answer.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Crunch81

Car(s)
E-Golf 85KW 2014
Excuse me; to answer your question: Bought it from Marktplaats for €650, but sim is working, but I did not understand how to use it because I thought it was for making connection with Car-Net We Connect.

Trimapa

Car(s)
VW GOLF 7
Same for me , I have been searching on the net to find out how to use the SIM slot in my retrofitted MIB2 . I got it from well known retrofitting place based in Poland : My first retrofitted Discover Pro MIB1 also had the SIM slot and used it with a clone SIM to make calls and surf the google feature . My Discover Pro MIB2 , I wanted because it had CarPlay , also has a SIM slot but it is useless . I can set up a Hotspot but is always ¨without internet connection ¨Any way to activate this ? Would this also need Carnet ? I can't sign up as mu VIN number doesn't get accepted .