GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Depo Racing (ebay) catted downpipe review

tknj99

Ready to race!
I have one, haven't installed it yet.

Its made out of about 47 different metals. Some components are not at all magnetic, some are mildly magnetic, and others are highly magnetic.

Not surprising for the price, but don't buy one expecting 304 SS.

This looks like very compelling, budget friendly option for those on a budget.. with that being said about the metal content of the DEPO DP, does that suggest that it will rust or have issues in the future?

And i wonder why they advertise as "3″ 304 Stainless Steel with CNC flange" if its not

kayv369

Nice quality pics! Looking good.
Curious, did you try to bolt up the two nuts on the bottom hanger before attaching the top? I struggled with that at first until I realized it’s much easier to attach the top first, then pull down the back half with the hanger into place. My friend struggled the same way but he didn’t figure it out quite as fast.
Going to add that tip to my original review now
Yes I had to do the vband top clamp first, snug it a little then go underneath and bolt the bracket. You still have to use a little bit of strength to line it up.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This looks like very compelling, budget friendly option for those on a budget.. with that being said about the metal content of the DEPO DP, does that suggest that it will rust or have issues in the future?

And i wonder why they advertise as "3″ 304 Stainless Steel with CNC flange" if its not

It will rust, at least parts of it will. For instance some of the bends are definitely different metal than others, etc.

Claiming much better quality metal than what is actually used is pretty common with budget exhaust components. Rev 9 and many others do the same. I have 3 New England winters on my Rev 9 and it is very rusted.

kayv369

I am using the vibrant j spacer with the middle size adapter and I haven't had a CEL in 300 miles since install

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

tknj99

Ready to race!
It will rust, at least parts of it will. For instance some of the bends are definitely different metal than others, etc.

Claiming much better quality metal than what is actually used is pretty common with budget exhaust components. Rev 9 and many others do the same. I have 3 New England winters on my Rev 9 and it is very rusted.

I believe that.. i wonder if any engine type enamels would remedy that prior to install..

Btw.. got this from the seller :(

New message from: johcata (833 )

its stainless , there are many different degrees. i will tell you my evo x testpipes in the north east have been on cars 10 years now no problems

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Is this pipe doing a better job at getting rid of the smell compared to like apr? I’m sure no one can beat IE but is this better the apr for smell?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is this pipe doing a better job at getting rid of the smell compared to like apr? I’m sure no one can beat IE but is this better the apr for smell?

There’s two things that matter when it comes to cleaning up exhaust smell with a cat.

1. Cat quality, a good quality GESI cat will do as close to OEM as you’re gonna get.

2. Cat placement. For a cat to work it needs to hit a certain temperature at which it’ll “light off” aka the scientific stuff happens where it actually converts stuff that’ll kill you into less dangerous stuff. The closer to the turbo, and heat it’s pumping out the better it works.

So to sum it up neither DEPOT nor APR will do a great job with smell, as the former uses a el cheapo cat & the latter a good quality cat but too far from the heat

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I can’t speak to the Depo smell vs APR, but my Depo smells pretty bad. When I get home and pull in my garage, it sets off my automatic air cleaner that is through a mud/laundry room...

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I can’t speak to the Depo smell vs APR, but my Depo smells pretty bad. When I get home and pull in my garage, it sets off my automatic air cleaner that is through a mud/laundry room...

I was just talking to a local shop and they were telling me ohh cat less doesn’t smell at all on the mk7 just a little ?‍♂️