GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shift Knobs

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If the pull up method doesn't work, you can always bag it (with the cloth bag it comes in).

Please, please practice safe shifting out there.

GTIgolfmark7

Been looking at a nice replacement for my DSG shifter as its pretty scuffed and worn down, the bfi and raceseng look nice but is the shift boot really attached using a zip tie?
That seems more like a downgrade, for the kind of money they're asking I'd expect something a bit more sophisticated or am I missing something?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Been looking at a nice replacement for my DSG shifter as its pretty scuffed and worn down, the bfi and raceseng look nice but is the shift boot really attached using a zip tie?
That seems more like a downgrade, for the kind of money they're asking I'd expect something a bit more sophisticated or am I missing something?

You never see the zip tie, and they do the job fine, so what's wrong with using a zip tie? You could also replace it with a metal hose clamp or something if you wanted.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
So what’s the way? I have an original ARC brushed titanium knob from my old speed3 that I kinda want to repurpose in my R.

I found a way for my Likewise knob, not sure what threading size your ARC knob is, so I can't say if my method will work or not.

GTIgolfmark7

You never see the zip tie, and they do the job fine, so what's wrong with using a zip tie? You could also replace it with a metal hose clamp or something if you wanted.

Maybe i'm OCD :LOL:, but the way its wrapped up like that at the top... i wouldn't bother in my '99 honda civic but in this nice interior and for the money they are i'd expect something better.

1576738584614.png

GTIgolfmark7

Was about to pull the trigger on the BFI but I'm a bit worried if they have updated the design by now or if its still the same.
Seen some vids on youtube, some lads say its ok some have issues with it but there is always play/wobble which is no surprise if you look at how it works but I'd expect they updated it by now?

The Raceseng Stratose would be my 2nd choice, quality of the adapter is probably better but 200 pounds ($250)?
Standard finish options look kinda tacky and the perforated leather is wrinkled on top, couldn't justify spending that.

Any other options besides these two companies?
Came across this company Neidfaktor in Germany that modifies the original ones with carbon fibre and everything, but the prices are bonkers and the difference from stock isn't that much.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Any other options besides these two companies?
Came across this company Neidfaktor in Germany that modifies the original ones with carbon fibre and everything, but the prices are bonkers and the difference from stock isn't that much.

Technically, there is an OEM upgrade. The DSG Clubsport S has a different shifter, almost identical to the regular one, just with some red stripes. I found one for sale here. It's very expensive to go new OEM, but there are plenty of knockoffs on Aliexpress if you want.

I believe the S-Tronic shifters of the A3 and S3 work as replacements as well. If yours is beat up, these are all decent options since they are OEM. You'll get the feeling of a new knob along with a perfect fitment!

GTIgolfmark7

Technically, there is an OEM upgrade. The DSG Clubsport S has a different shifter, almost identical to the regular one, just with some red stripes. I found one for sale here. It's very expensive to go new OEM, but there are plenty of knockoffs on Aliexpress if you want.

I believe the S-Tronic shifters of the A3 and S3 work as replacements as well. If yours is beat up, these are all decent options since they are OEM. You'll get the feeling of a new knob along with a perfect fitment!

Thx mate, that's definately a better option than the stock gti version.

I do like the look of a ball shape with some air leather and silver aluminum, but if the bfi hasn't been improved I think I'll go this route.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I just ordered the LEYO unit in. The Raceseng units look great, but I dig the overall shape and the leather wrap on these units.

I had a BFI shifter when I had my manual GTI, but I don't like how the entire knob has to be lifted to switch gears in the DSG ones. Plus, I was a little frustrated that the BFI knob wobbled until I put electrical tape between the VW shaft and the BFI one...

https://www.leyo-motorsport.com/leyo-nappa-dsg-shift-knob