GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for a good set of tires!

Captain_kid

Hey guys. I’m new to owning a VW GTI MK7 and am looking for a good set of tires that won’t break the bank but can perform well. Please help out I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
you'll get LOTS of opinions on this---
FWIW-I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. YES they're a bit pricey but work very well. I use them on both my Audi S4 and GTI.
I use to be a big fan of Continentals but finally tired of the excessive tire noise when the tires start to approach 1/2 of thread depth---I changed the DW's on the GTI to the PS 4S when there was a bit more than 1/2 of the thread depth remaining---The Audi wasn't quite as bad as the GTI but in the VW it was sounding like a bad wheel bearing.....
The gut at the tire shop though I was crazy---I had the GTI in on a Monday and the Audi on Wednesday of the same week....
It's the old adage----you get what you pay for....

Captain_kid

you'll get LOTS of opinions on this---
FWIW-I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. YES they're a bit pricey but work very well. I use them on both my Audi S4 and GTI.
I use to be a big fan of Continentals but finally tired of the excessive tire noise when the tires start to approach 1/2 of thread depth---I changed the DW's on the GTI to the PS 4S when there was a bit more than 1/2 of the thread depth remaining---The Audi wasn't quite as bad as the GTI but in the VW it was sounding like a bad wheel bearing.....
The gut at the tire shop though I was crazy---I had the GTI in on a Monday and the Audi on Wednesday of the same week....
It's the old adage----you get what you pay for....

That’s some great info there! I was leaning towards continentals but you provided some good info. I would too get annoyed if there was tire noise. Might go for the Michelin instead. Thanks!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The Michelin PS4S is only a summer tire and not an All-Season tire.

Your top 2 AS tires are Michelin A/S 3+ and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06.

This. Like my AS3+ tires.... Bring the snow

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Falken fk510. Read the tests on tire rack.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well I live in California so it hardly ever rains and it definitely doesn’t snow so I can do with summer tires too.

The summer tires are more expensive. How much do you want to spend? I have the Michelin AS 3 + and am happy with them. 45K treadwear warranty and priced around $140 each.