GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Because of more wind, that can be absorbed?
To where? Your tire? I'm not sure why you're trying to re-engineer an rs3 by doing what Audi did backwards.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

swenak

Car(s)
MKVI GTI Edition 35
Why we try use RS3 ducts on MK7, that is not, what Audi did ;) Yes, some wind go to tire too (I have 17" wheels), but, when duct is lower, more wind can be absorbed. Only theory, but arm is not direct on wind.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Why we try use RS3 ducts on MK7, that is not, what Audi did ;) Yes, some wind go to tire too (I have 17" wheels), but, when duct is lower, more wind can be absorbed. Only theory, but arm is not direct on wind.

If you want to use that theory go use the TT ducts. The rs3 direct air at entire brake caliper. Your setup throws all the air at the bottom tiny bit of the caliper and at the wheel/tire. We use the rs3 duct on the mk7 because it's the same platform and overall very similar suspension/brake designs. This leads to similar benefits from retrofitting the rs3 duct to the GTI/golf.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

There is only one location for air to get to the caliper and brakes disc and with the deflector installed on top of the LCA it hits this spot. The splash guard blocks air from the brake disc.
It's your car. Just do not want others to think your change is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
And what about this top-down?

NO!!!.....

That will cause more aero drag....as it hangs below the wishbone....& from the front end x-sectional area will most probably be visible so will increase the total x-sectional area for drag of the car...

Air flows above & under the wishbone...NONE flows to the area at the back face of the disc/hub area...this is what we want. So the best is to direct the air which flows above the wishbone...

There is a gap in the existing brake splash shield around the calliper...this gap also reveals the brake disc between the caliper, the bracket & the hub...the Audi air guides direct air to this area..which allows the air to enter the disc at the hub area & to enter the internal vanes of the disc...it also allows the air to entre the rear face around the rear face pads & thus cool the rear face.

In racing they keep the splash shield & mount a cooling flex duct direct to the splash shield from the front bumper..

Basic aero 101..

swenak

Car(s)
MKVI GTI Edition 35
OK, if you mean, I will rotate it. Only for informations, I don't use splash shield, next, using TT RS calipers with adapter to 340 brake discs and, I have MK5 ;) Before RS3 ducts, I used TTRS ducts, but after I install full engine cover, it was problem with using that TTRS ducts.

Thanks for opinion.

vapor

Passed Driver's Ed
I accidentally ordered an extra pair of RS-3 ducts from e-acca. If anyone wants them, they're free if you pick them up in Brooklyn, NY. Just PM me.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
One of my best friends is the assistant parts manager at my local dealership, I paid $33 each and only had to wait 2-3 days for them to arrive. Same part numbers from original post.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Installed these last night as well, removed the rear eyelet piece so that the duct sits flat on my steel arms, they snapped in on the front of the arm close to the ball joint and that was that! I did not cut them down on my R, but I will post if I have any contact and need to redo that. Definitely an easy/cheap mod with a purpose.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
just installed these with ST-40 stoptech front brakes, and for whatever reason the shape of the control arm on my 2016 GTI did not fit these so had to cut the back L shape parts off so the part would sit flush on my control arms, but left the front plastic L parts alone, and cranked the zip ties down and still super secure, and fit great. Did not need to modify the duct part to avoid interference with the caliper or anything even with my big stoptech calipers

thanks for the DIY, good idea and nice cheap way to help with brake cooling

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice write up and on point that you have to mod them a bit to fit correctly on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: