GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted a highline reversing camera?

Crapmaster

Lowline RVC retrofit question

I have a 2015 Golf MK7 TDI S without the RVC. I purchased the 5GG 827 469F lowline emblem camera kit with a wiring harness and finished installing it otherwise, except for the VCDS coding. The remote trunk release works as expected, so I get power, but when shifting to reverse, nothing happens. I was expecting the emblem to open and the camera to pop up. Should that work without coding, or does that also require coding?

My infotainment head unit is 5G0 035 844, and this is the camera/wiring harness kit I purchased:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logo-Flapp...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The installation was rather straight forward, I connected the video signals to the quad-lock blue connector pins 6 and 12, connected power to VBAT on the Quad-lock (through in-line 7.5A fuse) and tapped into the reverse light signal, which I have double checked.

I'd like to confirm that I have everything else properly installed before getting into the VCDS coding, as I will have to pay somebody to do it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There is coding that has to be done in the infotainment module, 5F. I don't know what it's going to cost you to have someone do the coding for you but and obdeleven will do it. I don't remember how much I paid for mine but I know it was less than $50. The interface is pretty good, you can read and clear codes. It's more than sufficient for basic to mid-level coding, such as required to enable the reverse camera. I would consider enabling the camera to be a basic coding change.

Obdeleven is, in my opinion, in no way a replacement for vcds but it has its uses and will certainly take care of what you are trying to do. It's also cheap, the obdeleven stays in my glove box at all times.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
There is coding that has to be done in the infotainment module, 5F. I don't know what it's going to cost you to have someone do the coding for you but and obdeleven will do it. I don't remember how much I paid for mine but I know it was less than $50. The interface is pretty good, you can read and clear codes. It's more than sufficient for basic to mid-level coding, such as required to enable the reverse camera. I would consider enabling the camera to be a basic coding change.

Obdeleven is, in my opinion, in no way a replacement for vcds but it has its uses and will certainly take care of what you are trying to do. It's also cheap, the obdeleven stays in my glove box at all times.

The coding wont cause the emblem to open, there is something wrong with his wiring probably as it is hardwired to the reverse signal wire.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're definitely right about that. I bought the official VW retrofit kit. Came with instructions and all that jazz. I followed those instructions for wiring. It does seem that that something is missing from Crapmaster's wiring.

Originally I sought to save a little bit of money and buy the harness from one of the AliExpress sellers but the directions included in some of them, along with the wire colors (if their pictures were accurate) did not seem to be standard. Some of them stated to tap into the reverse light. I'm almost positive that the official harness had two sets of wires that went into the quad lock. Plus power also taken from the 12 volt line and then a ground to an existing ground wire in the hatch.

It seems some of the RVC kits are using the reverse light for operation, much like the generic kits you can buy for any car. But that's definitely not OEM operation as the reverse camera in my (our) cars stays active for a number of seconds even after the car is out of reverse (reverse lights off). For what it's worth Crapmaster, I have a 2015 TDI S as well.

Crapmaster

You're definitely right about that. I bought the official VW retrofit kit. Came with instructions and all that jazz. I followed those instructions for wiring. It does seem that that something is missing from Crapmaster's wiring.

Originally I sought to save a little bit of money and buy the harness from one of the AliExpress sellers but the directions included in some of them, along with the wire colors (if their pictures were accurate) did not seem to be standard. Some of them stated to tap into the reverse light. I'm almost positive that the official harness had two sets of wires that went into the quad lock. Plus power also taken from the 12 volt line and then a ground to an existing ground wire in the hatch.

It seems some of the RVC kits are using the reverse light for operation, much like the generic kits you can buy for any car. But that's definitely not OEM operation as the reverse camera in my (our) cars stays active for a number of seconds even after the car is out of reverse (reverse lights off). For what it's worth Crapmaster, I have a 2015 TDI S as well.

Thank you for the replies guys, this confirms my suspicion that something is wrong. If you don't tap into the reverse light signal, what then? Cuzoe, do you still have the VW instructions?

stonefish

For the lowline RVC the reversing light provides the trigger for the camera (pin 4 of 4 pin camera connector) and the motor in the handle (pin 3 of 4 pin handle connector).

Crapmaster

For the lowline RVC the reversing light provides the trigger for the camera (pin 4 of 4 pin camera connector) and the motor in the handle (pin 3 of 4 pin handle connector).

Thanks, I figured it out, had a bad contact on the reversing light wire. Works now, just needs VCDS coding.

Carlos Oliveira

The highline with moving guidelines has a control module (6C Backup Camera) integrated into the camera that attaches to the CANBUS.

You'd need the new wiring harness and this control module / camera module.

Part number is 5Q0 980 556 B for the camera.

Hello,
do you have any photo on how you solder/connect the CANBUS wires of the camera to the main ones ?

thanks

Carlos Oliveira

i just finished my highline camera instalation, but still did NOT perform any coding change with VDCS. i tried to test if new emblem was releasing trunk to open, but it does not seem to work. I put back the old emblem, and trunk releases fine. I'm bought this unit from Kufatec.

does coding will enable the new emblem to release the trunk also? or coding is only for camera features?

also would like to know if anyone has been able to connect the 12v power thru the back of the fusebox ? if so, any tip on how to access the back side?

Carlos Oliveira

Figured it out!
When fitting the highline RVC, don't tell 5F it has an RVC in byte 19 - instead, go into adaptations and mark "BAP VPS" as activated, and "BAP VPS msg bus" as "comfort data bus".
I now have all the modes I'm supposed to have.
If anyone has any questions regarding fitting a highline RVC to the Mk7, hit me up!

I have the rear camera view working now, but the car parking front+rear sensors views are not visible anymore in Mib after coding the RearCamera (i only hear the bip's sound).
I did perform the BAP adaptations on 5F but still those options not available. I'm contacting Kufatec for some support, but maybe you have any idea also :) ?

Are you using Mib1 Discovery Pro ?

i also, have question, did you perform any change on module "Address 10: Park/Steer Assist " ?

I have this hardware. Is the same versions you are using ?

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 5G0 000 044 C HW: 5G0 035 044 B
Component: MU-H-TN-EU H44 0376

Address 6C: Back-up Cam. (J772) Labels:| 5Q0-980-556.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 980 568 B HW: 5Q0 980 568 B
Component: RVC Compact+ H08 0250
Coding: 0173000162002017000048

Attachments

• 20191216_094441.jpg
    20191216_094441.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 564

Uggers

Passed Driver's Ed
Is their a PDF guide at all to the wiring,

I bought the carsystems.eu one that came with the harness and was surprised to see some bare wires that I guess need tapping, but i'm not entirely sure which. Sorry for a potential repeated question.

Uggers

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry just realised I was being an idiot and didn't read the guides here (and that link) apologies for the dumb question

I did want to query how you guys were plugging these into the quadlock though.
The 12V and Canbus are bare wires, were as the ones for the blue plug are pinned (so presumably just push into the back of the plug)

Do you need to push out the existing connections and crimp onto those wires? apologies again I've usually done these type of things just pushing into existing terminals and not dealt with bare wire before