GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I have one big gripe about the mib2 std and im hoping some one has some insight. Let me start by saying I have 2 cell phones, one for work and one personal. Typically I use my personal phone for maps/music and I often take calls on my work phone when commuting. On MIB1 I could only have 1 phone connected via bluetooth so if I got a call on my other phone I had to scramble to get the BT switched over. I was thrilled to see on MIB2 I can have 2 phones connected via BT.

However, the reason I did this retrofit was for CarPlay. Unfortunately, when I have my personal phone plugged in for CarPlay, BT is disabled. If I get a call on my work phone I have to unplug CarPlay which in turns looses maps on the display. I am hoping there is a work around to get BT working alongside CarPlay. If not I am a little disappointed I didn't go for MIB2 high with nav....

I have a 6.5” with NAV. Let me know if interested.

c_tietjen

D72C7505-154F-47C7-B871-E7B923D3C599.jpeg
Just wanting to confirm this is what it’s supposed to look like prior to the new brain and programming. Installed the USB port/ cable, and screen today, and my 5054 cable came in the mail. Just want to make sure I’m 100% ready for jack!

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
View attachment 161131Just wanting to confirm this is what it’s supposed to look like prior to the new brain and programming. Installed the USB port/ cable, and screen today, and my 5054 cable came in the mail. Just want to make sure I’m 100% ready for jack!
That’s what it looked like for me. Good luck with the install.
side note: Take a picture of the back of MIB unit in the glovebox with all of the barcodes and model numbers. Jack will need that for the install.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Could someone please share the part number for the trim for the 8 inch glass screens for the USA.. I've only seen a bunch of part numbers but not sure if they are the right ones. Thanks

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Could someone please share the part number for the trim for the 8 inch glass screens for the USA.. I've only seen a bunch of part numbers but not sure if they are the right ones. Thanks

5G6919605A - 5G6919605C - 8" Glass Touchscreen Display (w/o Nav)
5G6919605B - 5G6919605D - 8" Glass Touchscreen Display (w/ Nav)

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
5G6919605A - 5G6919605C - 8" Glass Touchscreen Display (w/o Nav)
5G6919605B - 5G6919605D - 8" Glass Touchscreen Display (w/ Nav)

Thanks! I meant the trim the goes around the screens with the air vents. seems to be 3 of them? polar black, satin black and ... just wanted to be sure of which one I buy.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Thanks! I meant the trim the goes around the screens with the air vents. seems to be 3 of them? polar black, satin black and ... just wanted to be sure of which one I buy.
oops yea you did say trim. all I know is the one for the satin black:

5G1819728AGQYI - 5GM819728FQYI - Satin Black 8" AND 9.2” Glass Infotainment Trim

JM Popaleetus

Jack did not need any info from me the other week when he did mine.
Jack did in-fact ask me for both my old and new part numbers. Of course he probably doesn't need them as he can just scan for it via the 5054 and FAZIT, but it doesn't hurt to have ready.

Also I edited my post on the previous page with some ideas for your one CarPlay, two phones issue :).

Louiekaps

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Another thing I find weird, when comparing Sirius radio to app connect volume, Sirius is at least twice as loud. Meaning when I listen to Sirius I hardly ever have the volume over 25-30%. But when I use app connect its well over 50-60% for the same volume level. on my MIB1, in the sound menu I could select each input and change the volume setting to quiet, medium, loud. On my MIB2 std I only have this option for bluetooth and aux... It seems like my app connect volume setting is on quiet but I can't find the option to change it anywhere.

anyone else notice this?

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
Another thing I find weird, when comparing Sirius radio to app connect volume, Sirius is at least twice as loud. Meaning when I listen to Sirius I hardly ever have the volume over 25-30%. But when I use app connect its well over 50-60% for the same volume level. on my MIB1, in the sound menu I could select each input and change the volume setting to quiet, medium, loud. On my MIB2 std I only have this option for bluetooth and aux... It seems like my app connect volume setting is on quiet but I can't find the option to change it anywhere.

anyone else notice this?
I could be wrong, but may want to check the volume on your phone/device.