GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

galaxy

I added gas pedal spacer + wider gas pedal to make Heel-toe easier and weighted shift knob to make shifting easier too.

robbiewiggs

Ready to race!
It's been said many times before, but want to add that the DieselGeek Sigma 6 shifter kit is absolute perfection incarnate. Just installed mine, and it was the last piece in making the 6MT just right. Also did the delay valve removal, clutch pedal stop, and return spring removal.

THIS. Pair it with a nice shift knob and extender and you have something that feels really nice and confident.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
THIS. Pair it with a nice shift knob and extender and you have something that feels really nice and confident.

I will definitely back up what you said about the shift knob. The DG Sigma 6 was great but definitely felt it was missing something with the stock knob. After a heavyweight shifter that's when it feels great.

robbiewiggs

Ready to race!
I will definitely back up what you said about the shift knob. The DG Sigma 6 was great but definitely felt it was missing something with the stock knob. After a heavyweight shifter that's when it feels great.

It's crisp and has a tight, notchy feel to it. I have the Raceseng Circuit Sphere (150mm). Nice and tall with good weight, you can flick it between gates.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
And just added a clutch (pedal) stop. With both mods the shifting, just fine before, is now noticeably tighter and quite enjoyable.

Hey, I know this is old but do you happen to have links for everything you ordered?

Reactions: kak

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Hey guys,

Thoughts/opinions on the Torque Solution shifter cable bushings vs ECS's cable bushings? I'm trying to do these mods on a budget and I was wondering there was any advantage of ECS's ($15 more).

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Torque-Solution-Shifter-Cable-Bushings-MK7-GTI.html
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...t-rectangle-85mm-round-10mm/003929ecs0102akt/
I have the Torque Solution bushings. I haven't compared them to any of the brass bushings which may be better, but I think they do the job just fine.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I have the ECS Tuning solid shifter bushing and they are very solid. These use bronze inserts vs Delrin for the Torque Solutions. I don't know it this would provide a big difference or not, but bronze may not wear as fast. I also have the APR solid shifter bracket which has helped and the Neuspeed short shift arm.

Gallo-24

This is some really valuable info in this thread! I am looking to buy a GTI soon and there are a lot more cars in my price range with a manual. I like the idea of the DSG for the popular benefits, but do y'all think these upgrades to the MT with an upgraded clutch would be able to compete with the quickness of the DSG? Sorry if that's a noob question. Just trying to curb my fixation on finding a DSG car with PP. There are more MT's with PP that are decently priced but I don't want to regret going with the "slower" transmission. (Not meant to be rude, just that a lot of people say the MT is slower. Also don't mean to start a VS war between the two. Genuinely curious how an upgraded MT setup compares because I like shifting. Lol)

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
A DSG shifts faster than a manual and there is no getting around it. If you like a manual, stick with a manual (see what I did there?). I don't drag race anyone, so I'm happy with mine. If your priority is quick launches, an AWD or a RWD car would be what you want. A DSG car is probably quicker and certainly easier to drive in most scenarios. A manual makes you feel more connected to the mechanical aspect of driving and is less of a point and click experience. It's more about feel than performance.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
This is some really valuable info in this thread! I am looking to buy a GTI soon and there are a lot more cars in my price range with a manual. I like the idea of the DSG for the popular benefits, but do y'all think these upgrades to the MT with an upgraded clutch would be able to compete with the quickness of the DSG? Sorry if that's a noob question. Just trying to curb my fixation on finding a DSG car with PP. There are more MT's with PP that are decently priced but I don't want to regret going with the "slower" transmission. (Not meant to be rude, just that a lot of people say the MT is slower. Also don't mean to start a VS war between the two. Genuinely curious how an upgraded MT setup compares because I like shifting. Lol)

I like manuals, and I just bought a new GTI with a manual transmission.

In my opinion, this car is probably something to consider very strongly in DSG. I believe quite firmly at this point that the manual option is rather like icing without a cake, and if it needs to be that quick, there's no sense buying a car only to replace half of why you bought it in the first place.

I don't think it's possible to start a war in regard to these transmissions, as I'm fairly certain we all know what we got, here.

The DSG guys put their money into power, and the manual guys put their money into making it work properly. :unsure:

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I've owned both a '16 GTI (DSG) and now a '19 GTI (6MT). The DSG GTI was my first ever automatic vehicle and I'm on car #9 now. It was a really good, fun transmission. I decided to go with the DSG that time around mainly because of my commute. I sat in a lot of Chicago traffic to and from work everyday for about a 45 minute drive. That car was a good compromise between fun and practicality. Within the first year or so of ownership, I had no regrets getting the DSG. Sure, it would be frustrating at times pulling up to a stop only for the car to start going again in 2nd gear. Or sometimes on the highway, it would go up to 6th gear too quickly. There's always manual mode for that, but it's just not the same.

Later on, I really started to miss having a manual transmission car. I even thought about picking up an older car with a manual as a 2nd, fun car. I really didn't want the hassle of maintaining and insuring two vehicles, though. The GTI really does do it all. After 4 years of ownership, and a move closer to work, I decided to trade in my base S model GTI for a 6MT SE. I have no regrets. This car is so easy to drive, and I've already done a lot of the shifter mods to help make it feel better. I've only ever owned Honda's before the VW's, so it's been my quest to help make the 6MT in the GTI feel as good as the Honda transmissions do. It's for sure not going to go as fast as the DSG off the line, but there really is no replacement for the joy of rowing your own gears.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
That DSG in sport mode is pretty quick just letting off the brake... I didn't really like the way it felt, but the damned thing just wants to go.

I still think a really, really nice CVT would be outstanding in one of these things. Just because they usually suck doesn't mean they have to.

It would line right up with what the engine actually wants to do and when it wants to do it. Let the hate flow... :)

Gallo-24

Thanks for the input guys. I started looking into what it would cost to fully upgrade the MT and it is quite a bit. Seems the DSG would suit me better but if I fall in love with one that is MT then I'll know to come to this thread for some awesome suggestions.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to share, I changed the stock gear oil to Motul 300 and what a BIG difference it made. The car is much smoother (even seems faster), alot less chatter from the SMF, and even in the cold it shifts into gear butter smooth. I should of done this along time ago.