GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Tune

Schurke

Does the Cobb Tune (or for that matter any TUNE) software leave a trail when it is removed from the ECU? Can VW service dept easily determine if the car has had a tune?
I am a new owner of a 2019 R and still trying to educate myself about the car and what I can or cannot do.

Last edited:

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Any flash tune is considered to be detectable by VW. A piggyback may not be detectable if its removed prior to bringing it in to dealer.

Search and you will find tons of info...and alot of disagreement

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does the Cobb Tune (or for that matter any TUNE) software leave a trail when it is removed from the ECU? Can VW service dept easily determine if the car has had a tune?
I am a new owner of a 2019 R and still trying to educate myself about the car and what I can or cannot do.

Yes your car has a flash counter which knows how many times your ECU has been flashed. It's not the dealer that knows it's VW when the VW dealer connects your car.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wax on, wax off..... Counts each time

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
You can run a Power Module or Juice Box until you get comfortable with the idea of a flash, or until your warranty is a little closer to expired. Figure about 15 minutes a go for a clean job every time if you use ramps and wire tie to ensure nothing gets snagged. It takes longer the first and each if lighting in the working area is poor as the connectors are easy to plug/unplug once you actually see them. IIRC A pick was handy.