GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers Lift

vitalik55

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Just installed these coilover on my mk7 R, and I have a question, I know you can drop the car 30 to 50 millimeters for the front and rear axles, but can it be raised from the stock height? With the front perch almost all the way up, I get about 20mm (0.8in) lift in front and 15mm lift in back. The bilstain springs look more compressed, is this going to cause them to bind? Reason for lift is for winter/offroad driving. If I was going to put on different stiffer springs.. what are the options out there? Thanks in advance.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Those coilovers (and specifically the shortened shock bodies) are designed to function properly with the coils set in a certain range of lowering. If you read the manual it probably says something about being used outside of the intended lowering range can cause issues/damage/etc. What you're doing when you're cranking them up is pre-loading the springs which could cause spring bind or other damage to the shocks. They aren't designed to raise the vehicle.

Doesn't mean you can't do it, it's just definitely not what it was designed to do.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
@flipflp thanks for the reponse. I did not read the manual.. I think it was in German. Can i swap the springs witha higher spring rate to get the lift i need?

Spring rate doesn't dictate ride height as much as spring LENGTH, and with shortened shock bodies designed to retain shock travel on lowered vehicles, you generally can't expect those shocks to allow a lift or work with longer springs. They can actually top out potentially, where you wouldn't have travel in extension/droop which is going to feel horrible and wreck your shocks.

You bought coilovers to lower the car, that's what they are going to do best. Not sure there are really many coilovers designed to work at stock height let alone a lift.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx