GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
They're for winter, but RSe07. Got em on sale, and I don't hate the 7-spoke look so far.

--Matt

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
They're for winter, but RSe07. Got em on sale, and I don't hate the 7-spoke look so far.

--Matt
been debating getting these because they're so cheap right now (discontinued?) but I think what I really want are the rse52's. Hoping for a black friday sale or something.

mattkosem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'24 GTI
been debating getting these because they're so cheap right now (discontinued?) but I think what I really want are the rse52's. Hoping for a black friday sale or something.
I assume they must be discontinued. I bought a 5th wheel just in case.

JD-1

Ready to race!
Anyone have any experience with enkei ts10 or tsv? These look marginally more than konigs. Curious if they are as durable. They seem really light.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just went Rennform 18x9. Weigh 18.9lbs per Konig. Wrapped in 265/35 FK510
Bbk going on Friday so wheels don't look so empty.

Attachments

• 20191202_150512.jpg
    20191202_150512.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 329
  • 20191202_151813.jpg
    20191202_151813.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 310

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Freakin' meaty. Why the 265/35s over a lighter tire like a 235/40?

If that doesn't rub I would be impressed! I can't remember all the suspension sauce you've got going though. It looks good so it might be worth it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

If that doesn't rub I would be impressed! I can't remember all the suspension sauce you've got going though. It looks good so it might be worth it.

I'm currently running a 235 on my 9" wheel on the front for my track setup in a very, very wide competition tire (I just had the tires lying around and didn't want to waste them). There is ZERO rim protection with this narrow of a tire. Not all tire widths are created equal, but for street use, I'd recommend a tread width as wide or wider than the rim width. For street tires, 265 generally = 9" wide.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm currently running a 235 on my 9" wheel on the front for my track setup in a very, very wide competition tire (I just had the tires lying around and didn't want to waste them). There is ZERO rim protection with this narrow of a tire. Not all tire widths are created equal, but for street use, I'd recommend a tread width as wide or wider than the rim width. For street tires, 265 generally = 9" wide.

I agree, I ran the exact same wheel with a 235/40 and it is stretched slightly. The tire will not protect the rim, if that is something you require that isn't what you'd want to run. If you don't have issues with curbing wheels or knocking massive potholes, there are benefits to a narrower tire within reason as well.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
^That's more stretch than I would personally want. I'm not saying it's unsafe, just that I'd prefer a 245. However, I don't think a 265 is necessary on a street car.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
265 seems super wide for a 9". I'd stick with a 245 just for better steering response. 235 is kind of pushing it on a 9 IMO.

technically the ideal tire size for steering response and maintaining contact patch integrity on a 9" is a 255. 265 pushes it a bit, but it makes perfect sense to run that size still, and with a decent tire you don't lose much (if any) steering feel. You'd lose wayyyy more steering feel going to an improper offset for that size, like a +35 or running a 5 or 10mm spacer. I ran a 245 on an 8" rim, and for lip protection and maximizing rubber that was a good combo. The sidewall was perfectly vertical and never bowed, but it was a stiff sidewall tire (direzza Z3). I still bent a 17x8 rim with a 245/40 though, because I live in a "pothole epidemic" city where we salt the roads well enough to melt the sleet/snow into the concrete so it can refreeze and tear our roads apart...brilliant.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to me though, since i run a 225 on my stock austins as daily abusers because i don't like sandblasting my paint and I enjoy my gas mileage and wet performance ;):p

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

I am getting some rubbing on medium bumps.
I have Dinan coilovers and 034 dynamic camber mounts.

I plan on raising it half an inch in the front. Maybe a quarter in the rear. Could possibly just do fender screw mod.

Wheel feels so light after the 26 lb wheels with 245/40 tire. The 265's have a shorter sidewall, so although I haven't driven aggressively yet, it feels much easier to turn and much sharper.

I like a meatier tire for more rim protection from both curbing and potholes. If I could, I would have gone 275/35 which is almost exact same sidewall height as the 245/40. But regardless of the fact that it just won't fit, glad I went 265 for the shorter sidewall and improved response.

Crazy how things just spin out of control.
Original intent was just to get wheels that would fit the Stoptech 355mm kit. Didn't want spacers because ocd reasons.
8.5" with 245 would have worked, but damn, reading about and seeing Mk7's with 9" and 265 made me salivate. Was going to get new setup anyways, had to just go for it. Figured with increased camber, should be fine.

Unfortunately, getting 18x9 in a lightweight wheel is very slim pickins. Pretty much just Rse11R, Rennform or Freeform. Didn't like the Freeform bronze and silver. Neuspeed were $390 per. So only 1 option left.