GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie to VW, car wont start? SOLVED

mistikempire

Hi All, hope everyone is good and well!
I have purchased my first ever VW car, a 1.4 TSI Golf, DSG, Which has been treating me well.

After having the engine/bay cleaned the car started and was fine, however now the vehicle DOES not start at all.
The electrics come on, and when turned it does crank at a normal rate.

I have tried giving it a jump start, however no luck, the battery level it says is low, but im guessing if that was the case, when given the jump it would start, just wouldnt hold power?

My 2nd issue is the wipers, neither front wipers or rear wipers come on.
The wiper control arms buttons works, leaving me to understand that electric is coming to it, however it just doesnt operate the wipers for some reason?

Sorry for the first post to be a pain in the ass, i tried to look up posts/threads as much as i could on the forum, but no luck.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Dead battery. Jump it off a running car, not a jump pack (it’s probably dead too).

The way you wrote that post contradicts itself several times. I realize you’re probably frustrated and typing quick, but it’s not a big deal. Sometimes it takes several minutes to build up enough battery power to successfully start the car.

mistikempire

Dead battery. Jump it off a running car, not a jump pack (it’s probably dead too).

The way you wrote that post contradicts itself several times. I realize you’re probably frustrated and typing quick, but it’s not a big deal. Sometimes it takes several minutes to build up enough battery power to successfully start the car.

Hi Jake
Thank you for taking time to reply/

My mistake for not being more clear, the jump i start i gave was from a working car, via jump leads. I left it for around 3-4 min to charge, however still no luck.
I shall do what you said and leave it longer.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Hi All, hope everyone is good and well!
I have purchased my first ever VW car, a 1.4 TSI Golf, DSG, Which has been treating me well.

After having the engine/bay cleaned the car started and was fine, however now the vehicle DOES not start at all.
The electrics come on, and when turned it does crank at a normal rate.

I have tried giving it a jump start, however no luck, the battery level it says is low, but im guessing if that was the case, when given the jump it would start, just wouldnt hold power?

My 2nd issue is the wipers, neither front wipers or rear wipers come on.
The wiper control arms buttons works, leaving me to understand that electric is coming to it, however it just doesnt operate the wipers for some reason?

Sorry for the first post to be a pain in the ass, i tried to look up posts/threads as much as i could on the forum, but no luck.
FYI, The wipers don’t work if the bonnet is open, are you jumping it properly? You shouldn’t connect the negative lead direct to the battery —, there is a place to connect it next to the battery, a metal tag fixed to the bulkhead,
3BAB23E3-EC99-47AF-82BD-8261697A9395.jpeg
the positive however still connects to the + pole on the battery, these cars (VAG group) do some funky shit when the battery is depleted so the wipers not working could be to do with that also!
Jump start earth lead connection:
http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse;j...0-9-1&preventShowIndivisualManualMessage=trueHow to start using jump leads:
http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse;j...0-9-2&preventShowIndivisualManualMessage=true

Last edited:

mistikempire

FYI, The wipers don’t work if the bonnet is open, are you jumping it properly? You shouldn’t connect the negative lead direct to the battery —, there is a place to connect it next to the battery, a metal tag fixed to the bulkhead,
View attachment 160788the positive however still connects to the + pole on the battery, these cars (VAG group) do some funky shit when the battery is depleted so the wipers not working could be to do with that also!
Jump start earth lead connection:
http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse;j...0-9-1&preventShowIndivisualManualMessage=trueHow to start using jump leads:
http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse;j...0-9-2&preventShowIndivisualManualMessage=true

Right guys, so just an update
Incase anyone on the forum or anyone reading this has a similar problem in the future, i found out that the problem was.......... The Fuel Pump.

I had only recently purchased the car and according to the mechanic and previous owner, it was hardly used, leading what could of been the cause of the issue.
Never the less, changed the fuel pump (Inside the tank) and bingo!

Car starts and works perfectly :)

In regards to the wipers.
The front wiper now works, however the water sprayer does not work.
The rear wiper does not work, again nor the rear sprayer.

i have been told the water sprayer pump may need to be replaced.

However before changing the pump, i shall look at the sprayer nozzles first to see if they are blocked, trying to work, the fuse etc.

Il update the post if any luck!

Last edited:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
In regards to the wipers.
The front wiper now works, however the water sprayer does not work.
The rear wiper does not work, again nor the rear sprayer.

i have been told the water sprayer pump may need to be replaced.

However before changing the pump, i shall look at the sprayer nozzles first to see if they are blocked, trying to work, the fuse etc.

It is worth looking at the sprayer(windscreen washer) nozzles to see if they are blocked (common if non-VW washer fluid has been used).

If that doesn't fix it I'd have a careful look at the electrical connectors that go to the washer (sprayer) motor to see if there is any corrosion caused by the water sprayed around the engine bay when it was cleaned. If you can't see any corrosion it might be worth checking that 12v is supplied when you activate the washer, if there isn't I'd look for a problem further upstream in the circuit (the fuse will be the easiest to check, so look there first)

Good luck !