GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
where can I buy DG springs?
will I need alignment afterward?

Last edited:

goe-mk7

So, I have looked through the entire thread, along with a number of others on the topic. I just wanted to solicit the opinions of random internet strangers/friends. My main goal is to reduce the wheel gap on my DD ‘17 GTI S about 3/4”, keeping stock wheels/tires (I will upgrade them early next year to Michelin PS A/S 3+). I can’t go too low because of bad roads and while I would like a little performance upgrade, I don’t want to give up much for ride quality (again, because of the aforementioned terrible roads). Seems like DG is the best bet. I had originally considered the H&R OE (seem to be ok) and the APR Roll-Control Springs (but, they seem to drop more like 1”+). Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks!

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
So, I have looked through the entire thread, along with a number of others on the topic. I just wanted to solicit the opinions of random internet strangers/friends. My main goal is to reduce the wheel gap on my DD ‘17 GTI S about 3/4”, keeping stock wheels/tires (I will upgrade them early next year to Michelin PS A/S 3+). I can’t go too low because of bad roads and while I would like a little performance upgrade, I don’t want to give up much for ride quality (again, because of the aforementioned terrible roads). Seems like DG is the best bet. I had originally considered the H&R OE (seem to be ok) and the APR Roll-Control Springs (but, they seem to drop more like 1”+). Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks!

Its worth noting that if you are looking to go with lowering springs you need to understand that the dampers on your GTI will experience advanced wear due to it and so, many will look to replace the dampers at the same time. If you want to save the money, you can certainly make the stock dampers work but just know that they're longevity is reduced and you should save for their replacement sooner than later. As for the springs, I have the H&R OE Sports and love the drop. They advertise 3/4" drop but it seems like its a bit more once they have settled in (never did do a measurement, just eye-balled it). How much the springs alone will affect the ride quality I can't speak to as I did my springs and dampers at the same time. That said, even with the Koni Sports I don't think my ride quality is bad at all. In fact, I prefer it and yes, do I feel more of the road? Yep. Is it jarring or otherwise disruptive? Nope. Just adds some feel overall and perhaps the occasional concrete gap will cause a more abrupt thud but nothing that you wouldn't expect from a sport oriented suspension setup.

Another thing to consider is that if you are sticking with the stock wheels/tires then you may want to invest in some spacers. As you lower the car the wheel gap will become more apparent. If you use something like the ECS flush kit for the spacers then you will have an overall nicer stance to the car, IMO.

Well, there you go. Not sure this helps but just know that for everything you do on the car, its like a domino, something else will be affected.

goe-mk7

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. Might be worth waiting to do springs, dampers, and spacers all together. More to think about.

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys, I have Golf with torsion beam rear suspension. Am wondering if DCC damper can be fitted to my model? I know it can be retrofitted to models with multi-link rear suspension but since it is an electronic adjustable shock absorber, I would think it probably can fit 1:1 but I cannot be sure though for the length may be different. What do you think?

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

goe-mk7, my daily is the same as yours, stock Austin, Hankook 225/40-18, the orginal wheel well gal is ~2.75". I just had DG springs installed, plus flush kits, and 235/40-18 MPS4S, the gap is now ~1.5". The ride quality on HWY is excellent, I think it's more from the tires than the springs. On uneven surface, I can't comment because I also had braces and sway bars.

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_140102.jpg
    IMG_20191031_140102.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 262

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Pretty happy with my Koni Yellows but found a great deal on a Ground Control coilover conversion kit with 475#F/600#R Eibach springs.

Might bare the crappy weather and bad roads for the next few months then install in the spring.

After reading up on all the different springs available, I think I’ve narrowed down my list. My gf and I just picked up a 19’ GTI SE 6MT(w/Experience Package) so it does have DCC. I do plan to keep the stock dampers for now, and I’m not too worried about the long term effects since we won’t be putting a ton of miles on it. Mainly looking for a mild drop (around an inch) and a slight improvement in handling. I don’t want too high of an increase over the stock spring rates.

I think what I’m more worried about is the drop visually. I noticed a lot of the springs lower the front a little more and it appears to be raked (since the front arches are taller than the rear). With that being said I’d much rather have an even body drop, even if that’s means the front appears to be higher (or reverse raked as some people call it.

So far at the top of my list are the 034Motorsport Dynamic+ Springs. I like the slight increase in the spring rates, they do state that they’re designed to work with DCC, and the body drop looks even. I noticed they’re also one of the most expensive spring options available( but they’re currently 20% off on their site for Black Friday). I’d say second on my list would be ED Emmotion springs (but In the pics the cars looked raked). Or do some cars appear to be raked cause they’re DSG?

I’m super new to VWs so I’m trying to read every post I can related to he springs that I’m interested in. Sorry for the long post.

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
As mentioned in first post, H&R OE Sport real world drop is lower in the rear and will give you that flat look. I have linear Eibach, not a fan of the raked look either and would go with the OE Sport if I were doing it over.

GFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Is anyone running H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein B8's?

I haven't found much info on this setup. I bought the springs a while ago and never installed as i considered coilovers but I think the H&R/Bilstein mix will be a better combo. Any thoughts?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
After reading up on all the different springs available, I think I’ve narrowed down my list. My gf and I just picked up a 19’ GTI SE 6MT(w/Experience Package) so it does have DCC. I do plan to keep the stock dampers for now, and I’m not too worried about the long term effects since we won’t be putting a ton of miles on it. Mainly looking for a mild drop (around an inch) and a slight improvement in handling. I don’t want too high of an increase over the stock spring rates.

I think what I’m more worried about is the drop visually. I noticed a lot of the springs lower the front a little more and it appears to be raked (since the front arches are taller than the rear). With that being said I’d much rather have an even body drop, even if that’s means the front appears to be higher (or reverse raked as some people call it.

So far at the top of my list are the 034Motorsport Dynamic+ Springs. I like the slight increase in the spring rates, they do state that they’re designed to work with DCC, and the body drop looks even. I noticed they’re also one of the most expensive spring options available( but they’re currently 20% off on their site for Black Friday). I’d say second on my list would be ED Emmotion springs (but In the pics the cars looked raked). Or do some cars appear to be raked cause they’re DSG?

I’m super new to VWs so I’m trying to read every post I can related to he springs that I’m interested in. Sorry for the long post.
Again, be careful when 034 says they're designed to work with DCC. I'd be skeptical about a progressive spring with higher rates playing well with all of the DCC modes well. I haven't had it so it's all conjecture. Based on wanting a mild drop without a big increase over the stock rates I'd push you in the direction of DG's. You may be thinking they aren't enough, but i they are heavily influenced by the dampers, and would seemingly fit your needs quite well.

As mentioned in first post, H&R OE Sport real world drop is lower in the rear and will give you that flat look. I have linear Eibach, not a fan of the raked look either and would go with the OE Sport if I were doing it over.
Yeah, you can adjust a bit for reverse rake, but can't really do anything for positive rake without getting even more creative.
Is anyone running H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein B8's?

I haven't found much info on this setup. I bought the springs a while ago and never installed as i considered coilovers but I think the H&R/Bilstein mix will be a better combo. Any thoughts?
uberdot has it: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...about-new-shocks-struts-and-body-roll.369579/

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Tons of good info in this thread! I'm about ready to upgrade my struts and wanted to see exactly what should be replaced while I'm in there. I've been on Eibach Sportlines for about 40k miles, so a pretty significant drop on the factory struts. I was going back and forth between the B8's and the Koni's but it seems like Koni is ultimately the better option. Car is never tracked so I want something comfortable.

Besides picking up a set of struts, what else should be replacement within the suspension? Upper mounts and bearings? Anything else?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Tons of good info in this thread! I'm about ready to upgrade my struts and wanted to see exactly what should be replaced while I'm in there. I've been on Eibach Sportlines for about 40k miles, so a pretty significant drop on the factory struts. I was going back and forth between the B8's and the Koni's but it seems like Koni is ultimately the better option. Car is never tracked so I want something comfortable.

Besides picking up a set of struts, what else should be replacement within the suspension? Upper mounts and bearings? Anything else?

Yep, check this thread out.

Pablo924

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf R-line
Im surprised by the level of detail and info on the thread!!
I have some questions as this is going to be my first suspension modification ever, I hope someone can answer them. I own a 18´ Mk 7.5 Golf R-line.

First, I want to upgrade my suspension (non - DCC and multi link rear suspension). My objectives are to lower the car and better the handling for a mountain road use, also it is my daily car and currently I´m running the OEM sport suspension, therfore the ride quality is a touch stiffer than normal Golfs.
Therefore the conclusion I´ve come up to is to mount some bilstein B14 / B16. I,ve heard from a friend who has some B14´s that they aren´t harsh and are really compliant on a daily use, but on the other hand are great on fast changing corners for mountain use here at canary islands.

Is there a better option? Am I right in what i´ve been told?

Second, do I need any supporting mods when doing this upgrade? I don´t want to wear out unevenlly my tires because of any suspension geometry problem that might occur.

Third, I´m planning on getting for my next mod some 18x8´5 wheels, which are good to use on 225/40 tires. Probably some Pilot Sport 4.

This is my current ride height. I want a lower but functional setup.
IMG_20200413_131500.jpg