GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r 7.5 ignition swap

Shaz2019

If i swap my damaged ignition barrel with a second hand one with key will that work? Or will i have to swap more parts?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I believe the ecu is coded to the key. So that may be an issue

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
It depends. If you are only changing the mechanical lock (cylinder or barrel) and no electronic parts then you will only need to swap the actual (blade) on your remote (no recoding needed), but have you forgotten about the cylinder in your driver's door handle (hidden under a cover), and what about the one in your boot (trunk) if you have one. I'd get a good locksmith to change the new cylinder to work with your old key.

Shaz2019

It depends. If you are only changing the mechanical lock (cylinder or barrel) and no electronic parts then you will only need to swap the actual (blade) on your remote (no recoding needed), but have you forgotten about the cylinder in your driver's door handle (hidden under a cover), and what about the one in your boot (trunk) if you have one. I'd get a good locksmith to change the new cylinder to work with your old key.
Its the ignition barrel was damaged while it was stolen think they tried to start it or something collected my car from police and key wont turn? And insurance wont cover as it was stolen from my brother who was not insured :(

Shaz2019

And its a lease car so dont want lease people to find out this happened so far police aint contacted them

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
What insurance do you have that they won’t cover it? You don’t have uninsured/underinsured coverage?

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Its the ignition barrel was damaged while it was stolen think they tried to start it or something collected my car from police and key wont turn? And insurance wont cover as it was stolen from my brother who was not insured :(
The thieves may have damaged the steering lock mechanism, or maybe just the ignition cylinder/barrel. I'd still try a good locksmith first as they may be able to save you some repair costs.

BTW having a lease car being uninsured can ruin you financially if things go seriously wrong, so you (and/or your brother) may want to reconsider the decision to run it uninsured before really bad things happen.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No insurance is ridiculous and potentially bankrupting. Plus it is required by law.