GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
How was it? Must've been cold AF, early Saturday morning my app said it was 27F.
Trackdaze was cold too, just not as. Haven't run in temps this low (~50s) and wow, so this is what i'm missing by not having a big IC, was indicated 142 mph at end of back straight as compared to 134 back in August.

For shits and grins, i put on PP front brakes with DTC-60s a couple weeks ago. Results were/are mixed, starting with the pads, the damned pads. I ran DTC-60 in the Mk6 and loved them so much i decided i needed to get the PP just to run them. Anyway, Hawk decided they didn't need to install the anti-rattle springs and it was unbearably loud with the clattering of the pads in the carriers. Some drilling, grinding, 4-40 SHCS and springs drilled out from old pads fixed this for a couple hours' work, but wtf hawk. Braking on track and on street is excellent, excellent, excellent, and pad wear on track was as expected (XDS disabled this time!). On the other hand, the 10.3ish pounds of added weight per corner over the non-PP brakes is very noticable, in fact it really sucks and takes away from the "tossability" of the car. I got used to it on track, but in general driving on rough roads the added unsprung mass amplifies every disturbance and makes for a much less pleasant experience.

P.S. Old user name reactivated or whatever, there it is.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
How was it? Must've been cold AF, early Saturday morning my app said it was 27F.
Trackdaze was cold too, just not as. Haven't run in temps this low (~50s) and wow, so this is what i'm missing by not having a big IC, was indicated 142 mph at end of back straight as compared to 134 back in August.

For shits and grins, i put on PP front brakes with DTC-60s a couple weeks ago. Results were/are mixed, starting with the pads, the damned pads. I ran DTC-60 in the Mk6 and loved them so much i decided i needed to get the PP just to run them. Anyway, Hawk decided they didn't need to install the anti-rattle springs and it was unbearably loud with the clattering of the pads in the carriers. Some drilling, grinding, 4-40 SHCS and springs drilled out from old pads fixed this for a couple hours' work, but wtf hawk. Braking on track and on street is excellent, excellent, excellent, and pad wear on track was as expected (XDS disabled this time!). On the other hand, the 10.3ish pounds of added weight per corner over the non-PP brakes is very noticable, in fact it really sucks and takes away from the "tossability" of the car. I got used to it on track, but in general driving on rough roads the added unsprung mass amplifies every disturbance and makes for a much less pleasant experience.

P.S. Old user name reactivated or whatever, there it is.

Yes it was cold. First two sessions were run in 30F. Slick slippery conditions. We all took it relatively easy in the first session of the day. I’m fighting Harry’s on my iPad. It keeps shutting down after the last iOS update. So I haven’t been able to overlay my data on my video. Even with the cold temps, I lost 2mph down the back straight. I vmaxed at 123mph vs 125mph Which is strange. Small difference but with the long straights at VIR it’s still makes a difference.

I only dropped half a second on the new suspension. I took my time building up to speed, but I have to admit that I was not driving at my best. The car felt more stable, more predictable. Better front end bite but still not where I would like it to be.
front shocks were set at 8-clicks from hard. Rears were set at 5-clicks. Because of the issues with Harry’s I have not been able to look at my Harry’s data. I‘m considering running my MPS4S as a reality check for shits and grins. Seeing that my personal best was set on these 300tw tires vs. the NT01’s.

I saw the remnants of a totaled Vette in the paddock from the Track Daze event. The Audi club chief instructor read us the riot act as there were a number of bad wrecks with the Track Daze event.

I’m guessing that you are tuned to vmax at 142mph down the back straight? My friend in a 2015 M3 topped out at 147mph and that car is quick. I was planning on going with a Unitronic tune this week prior to heading back to the track in two weeks. But I do not want to add another variable until I get the suspension dialed in. So I’m likely to wait until next year before adding extra ponies.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Yes it was cold. First two sessions were run in 30F. Slick slippery conditions. We all took it relatively easy in the first session of the day. I’m fighting Harry’s on my iPad. It keeps shutting down after the last iOS update. So I haven’t been able to overlay my data on my video. Even with the cold temps, I lost 2mph down the back straight. I vmaxed at 123mph vs 125mph Which is strange. Small difference but with the long straights at VIR it’s still makes a difference.

I only dropped half a second on the new suspension. I took my time building up to speed, but I have to admit that I was not driving at my best. The car felt more stable, more predictable. Better front end bite but still not where I would like it to be.
front shocks were set at 8-clicks from hard. Rears were set at 5-clicks. Because of the issues with Harry’s I have not been able to look at my Harry’s data. I‘m considering running my MPS4S as a reality check for shits and grins. Seeing that my personal best was set on these 300tw tires vs. the NT01’s.

I saw the remnants of a totaled Vette in the paddock from the Track Daze event. The Audi club chief instructor read us the riot act as there were a number of bad wrecks with the Track Daze event.

I’m guessing that you are tuned to vmax at 142mph down the back straight? My friend in a 2015 M3 topped out at 147mph and that car is quick. I was planning on going with a Unitronic tune this week prior to heading back to the track in two weeks. But I do not want to add another variable until I get the suspension dialed in. So I’m likely to wait until next year before adding extra ponies.

Glad you got to run, i was kind of wondering if they'd call off the first sessions.

Yes, i'm APR stage 2 with nothing but the downpipe (no CAI, IC, exhaust, etc) - the exhaust note is mildly obnoxious.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So I guesstimated a Stage1+ tune to pick up 10mph down the back straight For a Vmax of 135ish mph. With maybe a 3-4 second improvement in lap times. 142mph is impressive. My drop in Vmax is puzzling me.

Can you elaborate a little more on the effect of running without XDS? So it helped with braking by keeping them cooler....? What was the impact on handling? As XDS is meant to electronically control understeer. So curious on what your turn in was like? You will need to be judicious with acceleration so as not to induce power understeer.

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
I had XDS set to "medium" before disabling it but can hardly tell the difference handling-wise. It's my understanding that the stronger the setting, the lower the threshold to pinch the brake in the affected corner... and this leads to basically dragging the brakes damn near all the time while on track. Turn in is fine, no oversteer unless induced by throttle lifting.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think the answer to the question of how turning off xds affects handling has to be answered for LSD and no LSD differently.

No LSD, xds off will keeps brakes much cooler, but I noticed some power on understeer. You just have to be gentle with the throttle. With LSD I didn't notice much difference in brake temps or handling. With LSD, I'd personally set it to it's weakest setting. Without LSD, I'd turn it off and just work on throttle application on corner exit.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I have the PP Haldex. I had set XDS to weak but changed it back to Standard because I had no information on how this feature interacts with the rest of the brake system.

No wavetrac or peloquin.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Wavetrac here. I have power-on understeer like mad, but understeer on the track is just as much a function of tire temperature as anything, and can be adjusted to easily. Turn-in points move forward as the tires get warm, and back again as they get greasy, whereas power-on points move in the opposite directions. Of course one can't do this forever, eventually the tires will need a break!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
So I guesstimated a Stage1+ tune to pick up 10mph down the back straight For a Vmax of 135ish mph. With maybe a 3-4 second improvement in lap times. 142mph is impressive. My drop in Vmax is puzzling me.

Can you elaborate a little more on the effect of running without XDS? So it helped with braking by keeping them cooler....? What was the impact on handling? As XDS is meant to electronically control understeer. So curious on what your turn in was like? You will need to be judicious with acceleration so as not to induce power oversteer.

Your vmax down the straight will be a function of power and corner exit before the straight. If you weren't pushing the car hard enough due to it being new to you, a slight slowdown on the straight is totally expected.

Btw, the nt01 vs the cycled out Dz3 netted me a 2s drop consistently and almost 3s on my best lap, and this is with a slightly colder day compared to my best in spring. I thought they'd last longer, but once I got into the groove with them, it's too easy to just lay down the rubber and burn them up. However, they definitely don't get greasy until the very last lap in the session on a 55F ambient day, unlike the Dz3 that were greasing by lap 6 on a 65F day.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I wasn’t at my best and was inconsistent exiting T-12 onto the back straight. Having said that I haven’t had issues hitting 125mph, even when not driving at my best.

I haven’t been able to overlay my data onto my video, so haven’t had a chance to analyze my driving and corner speed. One thing I did try is ease my speed going up the uphill esses so I had better control at the top to have the ideal line into T-10. Based on my sector 3 times, I didn’t loose any time with the change in technique. So planning on building upon that next weekend At VIR. The new suspension saw me make gains through T-1 and sector 1 where I have traditionally struggled with the GTi.

The Ohlins definitely feel better around the track. I’ve only got half a second to show for it. Let’s see if the driver can step up and extract some more time.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Tire Pressure Monitoring Issues

Has anyone else experienced issues with the tire pressure monitoring system after a DE weekend?

Seems to happen every time I go to the track. After resetting it a number of times it tends to disappear after about 2-weeks.

Curious whether others have experienced this?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My track gear for a DE.
One toolset
Jack
2 Axle Stands
Brake Power Bleeder
Cordless Impact
Spare Pads
Spare Oil
Brake Fluid
Torque Wrench

05088314-8708-4DD4-861F-7C509DC3E988.jpeg
FB396C98-DA50-4281-BB70-71FE36B80ADE.jpeg
C861954C-F39D-41C1-B5C4-0311FC973988.jpeg

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Has anyone else experienced issues with the tire pressure monitoring system after a DE weekend?

Seems to happen every time I go to the track. After resetting it a number of times it tends to disappear after about 2-weeks.

I'm not sure if my tpms problems are exactly like yours, but when i switch on my track wheels, it doesn't trigger. After 2 sessions it'll suddenly trigger, so I set it. I have to reset it again at the end of the day. The next morning it's fine, but in the afternoon and evening it needs resetting again. The following day i reset it
My track gear for a DE.
One toolset
Jack
2 Axle Stands
Brake Power Bleeder
Cordless Impact
Spare Pads
Spare Oil
Brake Fluid
Torque Wrench

View attachment 159894View attachment 159895View attachment 159896
Legit! I love how much fits into the hatch for a DE weekend. I also include a foldable chair and a 10'x10' canopy. I'm really considering getting a little tire trailer with a tool box to make things even easier.

How are you getting on with the nt01 after you got used to them?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie

Maybe it was because of the cold snap? I haven't had TPMS faults after a DE, but had one on the way to the DE - and it was a false alarm. Pressures were slightly low but all within 2 psi (34 +/- 1 psi)

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My tire pressure warning system triggered during a session. Right rear. First time that happened. Came in checked and went back out because everything was OK. I’ve had a rear tire go down on the track. Not fun. No way you can hang onto the car.

I have had this happen after the weekend. The warning says tire pressure monitoring system failure. It eventually goes away after a number of resets.