GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST60 Stoptech Trophy Set with 380mm Caliper Stats

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Beaker had a great post bout the Stoptech ST-60 weights which really helped me choose Stoptech as well as seeing the benefits of unsprung weight savings. So I figure I'd share the Trophy specs just in case someone like me is interested in them.

In contrast to his set, I've opted for the 380mm rotor. I've also shelled out a tad more for the trophy set which means the caliper is anodized (won't crack/wear) and undergo a weight savings approach by removing unnecessary weight, and so I save a few lbs.

Overall build quality is very nice. I'm really surprised how much unsprung weight I'll be saving. Unfortunately stoptech sent me the wrong pads, so I can't comment on how they feel yet. I should be able to get the correct pads in a couple days. The wheels BARELY clears the caliper by roughly 2-4mm. The install difficulty is about a 4/10. Hard part is probably having to bleed the brakes.

Weight saving is about 15 lbs of unsprung PER side (total of 30 lbs).

*** UPDATE 11/12/2019 ***
Completed install. BuyBrakes.com got me the correct set of pads the next day. Very happy with their service and response. I'm running street compound and as Stoptech specifies, I can just install and go. No bed in process. Pedal feel is far more easier modulated than the grabby as the OEMs were. I'd say their initial bite is bout 70% less or so than the OEM pads. They do add much more confidence as the feel is more progressive. Looks wise, they look menacing... really aggressive but subtle thanks to the anodized finish. Love it. Road feel is more plush feeling. I ride on comfort (DCC setting) and these provide a more subtle feel as I imagined.

If I were to do it again I'd probably opt for ST40 or ST60 big brake kits. The weight savings of either of those sets will provide a huge advantage over a rediculously heavy OEM set. And As some have mentioned, this is a bit of overkill for the daily driven car. But as many, modding the car is always such a great, rewarding, and somewhat addictive feeling - I couldn't wait to get these on! Wierd thing is, I feel somewhat content now. Car goes fast (subjective) and now stops faster. I guess I'll just add a front swaybar and call it day... maybe :)

Get a set of stoptech through BuyBrakes.com. Their pricing is unmatched. You won't be disappointed.

Shout out to a member on Socal MK7 and MK7 Garage. A member turned me onto these.

ST-60 Trophy
Caliper: 6.8 lbs
Pads: ~1.4 lbs
Rotor: 20.8 lbs

OEM
Caliper + Pad: 19.4 lbs
Rotor: 24.6 lbs

Last edited:

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
If you don't track the stock brakes are fine. If you track here and there the ST40 kit works great. I've used the ST40 kit on cars I've heavily tracked in the past and it was bomb proof.

This kit is awesome and if the OP wants it, all the better for him! How we decide to mod our cars and spend our money is very personal. What's good for me or you or someone else doesn't matter. What matters is what the OP wants to do to his car.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
You don't need to see it. Maybe he just likes the looks. Why care? The world is a better place where we don't all like the same things.

Thanks for the shared perspective!

I’m definitely not a racer! Just an average dude who likes nice stuff. Nothing wrong with that right?

Hey vw671! Saw your car at the big socal meet! Really nice build. Also been following your mods on vwvortex. You probably have the fastest car in socal!

My scale sort of sucks. I’m not sure where my parents got it, but it’s been laying around the house for a few years. However I don’t imagine it being lbs off. Regardless, the stoptechs are a hell of a lot lighter! Neuspeed as welll... any aluminum vs stock iron grade insane heavy would be preferable!

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the shared perspective!

I’m definitely not a racer! Just an average dude who likes nice stuff. Nothing wrong with that right?

Hey vw671! Saw your car at the big socal meet! Really nice build. Also been following your mods on vwvortex. You probably have the fastest car in socal!

My scale sort of sucks. I’m not sure where my parents got it, but it’s been laying around the house for a few years. However I don’t imagine it being lbs off. Regardless, the stoptechs are a hell of a lot lighter! Neuspeed as welll... any aluminum vs stock iron grade insane heavy would be preferable!

Thanks...my car is decently fast but not the fastest in SoCal for sure:) Bathroom scales get super inaccurate for light items under ~30lbs or so. Even at 8.8lbs they are really good compared to the OEM boat anchors.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Definitely! I pulled my neck lifting the stock rotors out of my car! Hopefully the new owner will enjoy them. And I do agree. The stock R front braking system was awesome. I really liked them. But I've always wanted a BBK though! I'm really curious to observe how they make the car feel. I mean it's ~15lbs off on the suspension! In relation to unsprung weight, I've replaced my super heavy Cadiz 19" wheels with a forged set of wheels (about 5-6+ lbs lighter), and you wouldn't believe the difference in road compliance! I'll post a review once I get this car back on the road.