GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty issues with aftermarket wheels?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
No

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I dont think so. Below are the specs from stock 18" wheels which came with GTI & R and your numbers are pretty close to these.

Austin: 18" x 7.5" - 49mm
Cadiz: 18" x 7.5" - 51mm
Nogaro: 18" x 7.5" - 49mm
Pretoria: 18" x 7.5" - 51mm

Spoolin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I doubt you'll have any issues. However, if a part fails that's directly related to the wheels, I believe they could potentially deny your claim. For example, a wheel bearing goes bad, they might try and blame the aftermarket wheels (different width, offset, etc.).

I'd say it really depends on your dealer. I can't imagine any catastrophic scenario that you'd have warranty trouble with (engine, transmission).

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
I doubt you'll have any issues. However, if a part fails that's directly related to the wheels, I believe they could potentially deny your claim. For example, a wheel bearing goes bad, they might try and blame the aftermarket wheels (different width, offset, etc.).

I'd say it really depends on your dealer. I can't imagine any catastrophic scenario that you'd have warranty trouble with (engine, transmission).

So your forced to obtain winter wheels from the dealer? Seriously? If this is true then I suppose getting winter friendly tires for my OEM "19s was the only way to avoid a $2400 OEM cost from VW to get OEM 18 inch wheels and keep my warranty?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
You guys are insane.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Replacing your factory wheels with aftermarket wheels only effects you being able to warranty your wheels.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act over again.

Spoolin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
So your forced to obtain winter wheels from the dealer? Seriously? If this is true then I suppose getting winter friendly tires for my OEM "19s was the only way to avoid a $2400 OEM cost from VW to get OEM 18 inch wheels and keep my warranty?

You warranty would never be "voided". I was simply saying they could potentially deny a specific claim for something like a wheel bearing, but it would depend on the dealer.

I would not hesitate at all to put aftermarket wheels on during the warranty period. I would be much more cautious with something like an ECU tune, for obvious reasons.

greenmtn12

only reason I asked was I came upon this list on another site:

Here is a list of the "Warranty Keys" (as of 2018) that Audi and Volkswagen use:

Key Description Affected system
T10 Engine Tuning Engine is modified
T23 Powertrain Tuned Powertrain affected
TD1 "Vehicle Check Code" Software in the ECM has changed
TXD "Vehicle Check Code" Software in the ECM has changed
T40 Running Gear altered Changes to Brakes, Wheels, Suspension, Gearing including differential
T26 Exhaust modifications Non-OEM exhaust systems
T50 Vehicle Body alterations Body panels changed(non-OEM)/modified
T68 Interior Altered Non-OEM Trim or Interior
T90 Instrument Cluster changes Additional Instrumentation and/or NON-OEM cluster
USB Buyback Vehicle buyback, not qualified for CPO warranty
UST Vehicle totaled Vehicle totaled, no warranty, except emissions warranty

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
You warranty would never be "voided". I was simply saying they could potentially deny a specific claim for something like a wheel bearing, but it would depend on the dealer.

I would not hesitate at all to put aftermarket wheels on during the warranty period. I would be much more cautious with something like an ECU tune, for obvious reasons.

Considering that a repair to something related to the axle or a bearing could be over or around $500 an issue I think I will avoid non dealer installed wheels.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Considering that a repair to something related to the axle or a bearing could be over or around $500 an issue I think I will avoid non dealer installed wheels.

And how would a dealer prove that an aftermarket wheel and tire package (within reason) was the cause of the failure? That is their burden to prove. That is why people always look for "mod friendly" dealers, and many VW dealers are since they sell "enthusiast" cars.

If a dealer denied a warranty for a wheel bearing, axle, brake or suspension component because of aftermarket wheels on an otherwise stock car I'd be on the phone with VWoA so fast the service writer's head would spin.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And how would a dealer prove that an aftermarket wheel and tire package (within reason) was the cause of the failure? That is their burden to prove. That is why people always look for "mod friendly" dealers, and many VW dealers are since they sell "enthusiast" cars.

If a dealer denied a warranty for a wheel bearing, axle, brake or suspension component because of aftermarket wheels on an otherwise stock car I'd be on the phone with VWoA so fast the service writer's head would spin.

I agree with you and I'm happy to have a mod friendly dealer but can the dealer ever deny a warranty? I thought all warranty decisions were made by VW not the dealer.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I agree with you and I'm happy to have a mod friendly dealer but can the dealer ever deny a warranty? I thought all warranty decisions were made by VW not the dealer.

VW tools will not recognize any hardware changes done to the vehicle. Only the dealer can report it to VW.