GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I hate a manual?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you don't mind shifting especially with the hills then a manual is fine. If you're going to tune it be advised that a clutch upgrade will be necessary. It's easier to launch the DSG if that's important to you. And the DSG is a little faster overall.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm just about to get the popcorn ready. Anybody want some?

In an effort to contribute to this thread, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUCdAdaaj8&t=230s

I'm a manual guy and will always be. The video above sums up what I love about it. I respect and am amazed by the DSG (PDK, DCT, LOL, WTF and all the other abbreviations out there), but it's not my cup of tea. As AJ said, it's subjective. Only you can answer your question as everyone else will have answered theirs.

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
MT6 is the only option for a drivers car imo , unless you sit in heavy traffic daily.

If so get a Prius. The DSG is faster, however so is the train, my 02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Serious question, have you driven the DSG as yes that was true for the slush boxes of old but modern twin clutch boxes have made manual obsolete.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm just about to get the popcorn ready. Anybody want some?

In an effort to contribute to this thread, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUCdAdaaj8&t=230s

I'm a manual guy and will always be. The video above sums up what I love about it. I respect and am amazed by the DSG (PDK, DCT, LOL, WTF and all the other abbreviations out there), but it's not my cup of tea. As AJ said, it's subjective. Only you can answer your question as everyone else will have answered theirs.

A manual is more fun. I drive a DSG because of being a courier with all the city driving.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also, stupid and lazy question, but what's the least I should expect to pay should I upgrade the clutch?

I'm using Tapatalk.

On a GTI at a dealer the labor is around $750 plus the cost of an upgraded aftermarket clutch. Don't know about an R.

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
MY TWO CENTS

Get the DSG. I went from a mk 6 dsg, to a mk 7 dsg but thoroughly tested the manual before opting for dsg once again.

First the DSG is the better more polished option and the car feels like it was designed around that transmission. If the GTI had a really good manual i would have gotten it, but as far as manuals go...it's just not that great. The throws are somewhat imprecise, and the clutch is vague.

If it were a Honda or bmw manual from say 10-15 years ago, i would consider going manual. The DSG is 90% as engaging(my opnion), and you can still shift the gear selector (just not muti direction), or use the paddles. In essence the DSG gives you 4 different ways to drive, normal sport, paddles, shift the gear selector.

DSG handles more power if you tune as well, and is faster stock vs stock. There also seems to be some mechanical failings with the manual ("crank walk"). JR14 on youtube just roasted his whole engine (being a bone head) but supposedly crank walk was the issue. DSG has been around for a while now and is a very reliable transmission for what its capable of.

Manual has only 2 advantages. Bragging rights with the cool kids who insist manual is the only way to drive, and slightly more engaging. The second one is subjective, and all depends on what you like. Personally i like that the dsg is going to give me what i want pretty much every time, once you get comfortable with how it behaves. No missed shifts, stalls, jerking all the time etc.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
MY TWO CENTS

Get the DSG. I went from a mk 6 dsg, to a mk 7 dsg but thoroughly tested the manual before opting for dsg once again.

First the DSG is the better more polished option and the car feels like it was designed around that transmission. If the GTI had a really good manual i would have gotten it, but as far as manuals go...it's just not that great. The throws are somewhat imprecise, and the clutch is vague.

If it were a Honda or bmw manual from say 10-15 years ago, i would consider going manual. The DSG is 90% as engaging(my opnion), and you can still shift the gear selector (just not muti direction), or use the paddles. In essence the DSG gives you 4 different ways to drive, normal sport, paddles, shift the gear selector.

DSG handles more power if you tune as well, and is faster stock vs stock. There also seems to be some mechanical failings with the manual ("crank walk"). JR14 on youtube just roasted his whole engine (being a bone head) but supposedly crank walk was the issue. DSG has been around for a while now and is a very reliable transmission for what its capable of.

Manual has only 2 advantages. Bragging rights with the cool kids who insist manual is the only way to drive, and slightly more engaging. The second one is subjective, and all depends on what you like. Personally i like that the dsg is going to give me what i want pretty much every time, once you get comfortable with how it behaves. No missed shifts, stalls, jerking all the time etc.
I appreciate this, and dont get me wrong, I loved the DSG in my 15 GTI, but, I feel like I would have much more fun with the manual. I had fun with the DSG, but it never felt truly direct.

I'm using Tapatalk.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Previous to my 2019 DSG R, I drive a 3rd generation Miata with 6 speed. I knew I’d never be happy with the shifting of any other car. And I must say, the DSG is spectacular. Manual mode for the twisty bits here south of Charlotte, D mode for traffic, S mode for those in between drives. You won’t be disappointed with the DSG. There’s a reason they are hard to find used. No one wants to give them up.