GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Did you get rid of the 996? I couldn't help but notice all references are in the past tense.

Yeah, bought a home late last year and needed a little bit of $$ to get to 20%, so I sold to a friend. Sad day. :mad:

Not sad about the home, it’s my first property post divorce and I am loving the house.

I will be adding another fun car once I build my rainy day fund back up, almost there.

The GTI is such a great daily, it does everything at a high level. Jack of all trades car. I plan on getting 10-13 years out of my GTI. It’s almost paid off... planning on keeping it garaged and maintained.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, bought a home late last year and needed a little bit of $$ to get to 20%, so I sold to a friend. Sad day. :mad:

Not sad about the home, it’s my first property post divorce and I am loving the house.

I will be adding another fun car once I build my rainy day fund back up, almost there.

The GTI is such a great daily, it does everything at a high level. Jack of all trades car. I plan on getting 10-13 years out of my GTI. It’s almost paid off... planning on keeping it garaged and maintained.

I'm glad the 996 is only off to a new home and didn't suffer any catastrophic mechanical malady. It's also good to hear that you're planning on adding another fun car to the garage soon. I completely agree that the GTI is a superb jack-of-all-trades car. It's fun to drive, economical, practical, and relatively inexpensive. I hope to keep mine around for a long time too.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I'm glad the 996 is only off to a new home and didn't suffer any catastrophic mechanical malady. It's also good to hear that you're planning on adding another fun car to the garage soon. I completely agree that the GTI is a superb jack-of-all-trades car. It's fun to drive, economical, practical, and relatively inexpensive. I hope to keep mine around for a long time too.

IMS was done, and it was a dual row (1999).

What a horrible design flaw.

You probably get it... the GTI/Golf R are fun but there’s no substitute for an older/rawer fun ride.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Man this thread brings back memories...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34524

Long story short, I traded The GTI in because I was tired of dealing with the complications from a minor accident that snowballed into many other smaller issues.

Got $15k for my GTI with 40k miles and got a used R (less than half the milage) for a little over $30k.

I personally wouldn't mind having a AB GTI over the R since the GTI is lighter on it's feet. That said after some mods the R has surpassed my expectations for going fast and out of the hole acceleration from stoplights. Stock for stock I think the GTI handles better. The R understeers far too easy in stock form. Some 034 lowering springs and Superpro RSB fixed that issue for the most part.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
For some reason people forget that AWD does nothing for stopping, which is where most of the issues in the snow come from. Unless you are downshifting and engine braking every time you come to a stop, AWD does 0 for you. I've lived in the snowbelt in Ohio for my whole life and never had a car that wasn't FWD, and never had an issue with getting going, only stopping.

Last edited:

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
Physics will not be denied, AWD or not. Given the same tires, I find AWD is almost always preferable to FWD in wintery weather. $10K preferable? Likely not.

Last edited:

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Physics will not be denied, AWD or not. Given the same tires, I find AWD is almost always preferable to FWD in wintery weather. $10K preferable? Likely not.

I remember back in my youth, driving a Mustang SVT with snow tires on in the snow.. and getting stuck in a ditch a few times. When I decided to go front wheel drive and downsized to an Accord V6 coupe I still got stuck, even with the right tires.

When I finally, years and years later, started driving AWD cars, even with worse tires I stopped getting stuck.

AWD might not be worth 10k more but having driven both the GTI and the Golf R I think they are different cars. They may looks similar but the R is just better.

If I could not have afforded the R I would have instead just purchased another WRX Limited with a CVT.

If I was forced to just have a front wheel drive car it would not be the GTI.. like the WRX, too many stories of engine issues. The hardened internals in the R seem to avoid this issue.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I owned one.. for 3 years. Yes the CVT sucks but the car was great overall. Not as good by far then my R DSG however.

WRX with manual is a great vehicle and no second thoughts on that. Did you own a WRX with manual or CVT.