GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Swapping a set of winter wheels & tires will be far less cost than taking steep loss on your current car and adding the extra cost of the R. Besides, it doesn't snow in Northeastern Illinois that much anymore anyways.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Swapping a set of winter wheels & tires will be far less cost than taking steep loss on your current car and adding the extra cost of the R. Besides, it doesn't snow in Northeastern Illinois that much anymore anyways.

And you'd be surprised by how big of a difference that alone makes.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It’s was not an autobahn though. Do not all the bells and whistles

I got all of the Golf R options I wanted.

Kessy, Fender, Leather and DCC.

In 2016 it was an extra $1,800 or so for the Autobahn, for lumbar, auto climate control and Nav (which is pointless with CarPlay).

Didn’t see the point of the Autobahn for my needs in 2016.

I just don’t see the R as that special and after I drove my friends I was meh.

Granted at the time I had my GTI and a 996 6MT LSD with Fister Mufflers sharing space with my GTI.

If I was OP I would put that $10k-$15k towards something that’s actually fun and won’t depreciate. Like an S2000 or an E36 M3. Something more raw and different than what’s practically the same car with a FWD biased AWD system and a few more ponies.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
...I just don’t see the R as that special and after I drove my friends I was meh...

I agree the GTI and R are both just well-executed runabouts. Neither is terribly special but they are fun all the same. I really can't see lusting after an R if you already have a GTI (unless AWD would be life-changing).

Certainly in Austin there is no need for AWD, so the R has less appeal. Also, given the number of folks driving beyond their capabilities on LCR, you'd have to have a high risk-tolerance to stretch either the GTI or the R (or 996) on that road.

* I bought the R because of the ongoing stalling issues with the 2019 6MT GTIs (which seems to be a bit more prevalent in warm climates).

relive

Ready to race!
I'm in Chicago and I don't want to swap tires between summers and snows.

If winter tires are necessary for the GTI, they are still necessary if you got an R. AWD makes it easier to move, but it doesn't change any of the physics when you need to turn or stop.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Going to the R doesn't make sense financially in this situation. I know swapping snows and Summers can be a bit of a pain (especially in the shoulder months when you're not sure when to pull the trigger) but it does give you the best out of your vehicle in both seasons. Take it from my experience, if you're trying to tackle winter on the stock A/S tires, don't do it. Tried it the first winter I got my car and I immediately regretted that decision. Good luck and I hope whatever you end up doing works out for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
I dunno. The awd on the R is not as good as the WRX and the R is easily overpriced by around 5k. That said the extra 8 or 9k for the AWD, slightly more factory tunes power backed up slightly stronger engine internals, and the less aggressive looks were worth the cost. I have no intention of driving on more then a few inches of snow and swaped out the summer tires for all seasons quickly. Just my opinion but the R is worth it. As I have said before: if there was no wet or snow weather where I lived then for me the cheaper autobahn would have been my choice...

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Appreciate all the comments -- and I agree with most of them (yeah, I know there is a bit of disagreement but I see the points on both sides)

To those interested in the pricing, here is the update - with the caveat that no number is ever firm until you sign the deal. With just a bit of looking, the best deal on the table so far is still too much - a 9K spread between my Autobahn and a new R (DSG, black Prets). Dealer offered 30K cash for the AB - which suggests he's letting the R out for 39, which seems in line with what I've seen advertised.

So the spread is bigger than back in February (as most of you guys noted). My new focus is a used 18 R. There are more out there than I thought and they seem to be sitting for a bit at listed prices under/at 35, which makes sense given new is about 39. I think a true market price for a 12-18 month old 18 with under 15K is around 32 - I suspect that is better than dealers are offering. If I find a seller willing to get there - -and the dealer cash offer on my car is real - that is only a couple grand spread (ignoring TTL).

Thoughts on a used 18 R? Obviously, have to watch out for mods/TD1 flag and all the used car caveats. But I believe that there are literally NO differences between 18 and 19 Rs - is that correct?

Thanks

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
Most people will try to justify their purchase when they should have bought what they real wanted.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Understand about needing tires for the R - its part of the plan. WRT getting a different car, I hear you but for my needs that is a non-starter. I'm either keeping the GTI Autobahn or getting an R (at least for now!).

And I disagree with those who don't see a material difference between driving the GTI vs driving the R, at least on stock tires. I guess I'm skeptical that new tires on the GTI (assuming A/S (contis or michelin)) will meaningfully stop wheel spin - but I won't know without spending a grand or so. To be fair, I understand (and kind of agree) with those who don't think its worth the spread (new, used, or whatever) but that is a value judgment - I think the driving difference is objectively diffferent.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Wider stickier tires on lighter wheels and a dog bone insert makes all the difference in the world.

However sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

GL with the buying process for your used R.

Can’t go wrong with either and if you have the extra $10-$15k you could spend it on worse things.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Understand about needing tires for the R - its part of the plan. WRT getting a different car, I hear you but for my needs that is a non-starter. I'm either keeping the GTI Autobahn or getting an R (at least for now!).

And I disagree with those who don't see a material difference between driving the GTI vs driving the R, at least on stock tires. I guess I'm skeptical that new tires on the GTI (assuming A/S (contis or michelin)) will meaningfully stop wheel spin - but I won't know without spending a grand or so. To be fair, I understand (and kind of agree) with those who don't think its worth the spread (new, used, or whatever) but that is a value judgment - I think the driving difference is objectively diffferent.

I drove both GTI and R, however finding dealers that permit test drives is hard. GTI = Best handling front drive car I have ever driven. Would I drive it in snow? Yes, but not more then a dusting. R = Best handling car I have ever driven, pretty good AWD. Would I drive it in snow? Yes, but not more then 3 or 4 inches.

I previously owned a 2016 WRX Limited. I loved the car. I drove it for 3 years as my daily. It was great in snow. It handled tons better and drove tons better then a GTI. However I felt every single bump in the road. My back hurt, my neck hurt. Did I drive it in the snow? Hell yes, but not more then 5 inches.

If in say, 3 and a half years, I had a choice between a WRX Limited, GTI, and there was no Golf R available and I had to buy a new car due to warranty running out. What would I buy? That is simple. I could buy the WRX Limited. Its the same price as the Autobahn, the fit in finish is less but it handles better and its quicker, and its better, far better in the snow.

However, given a choice between all three cars I would go with the Golf R, even at a 8k cost over a WRX. Its worth the money.

With the Golf R you get some of the all wheel drive stability with a little bit of German luxury car refinement. You also get factory backed tuning and hardened internals for the engine that support a DSG 0 to 60 close to 4.5 seconds. The drive is easy and makes a daily commute do able. For me the premium is worth it.

The WRX Limited and the Golf R both require a tire swap out. I recommend just buying the best All Seasons, ditching the summer and replacing tires every 24 months regardless of miles. I never drove my WRX in heavy snow or fast on roads with pot holes.

None of these cars have strong engines or will be reliable over 100k miles. At some point their engines will fail. Small displacement, high compression.. bad for durability. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed and replaced when they get out of warranty or start to show signs of failure.

If I live to retirement and they still make them I plan to buy a Mustang GT Fastback, loaded, those cars can last forever. I just would be doing an uber in the winter.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Depreciation is a bitch. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk