GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I know, a million of these threads and everybody's wants/needs are different. But here are mine:

1. Currently have 2019 Iron Blue AB, DSG - <5K, all stock. Love it except for wheel spin when I push it/its wet/its snowy. I'm in Chicago and I don't want to swap tires between summers and snows. Yes, I could put better tires on it but I suspect that will help to a degree but not eliminate the issue.

2. I love having a sunroof - I'm not tall and I don't open it often but I like the light.

3. Until the GTI, I've always had AWD - love the handling, lack of wheel spin, and the snow performance.

4. Looking at grey or black 2019 R with the gloss black wheels.

5. If there was no price difference, I'd take the R in a heartbeat. When I got my GTI, the spread was about 7500 which I deemed too high. I'm hoping the slight lowering of R ask prices and the pristine nature of my GTI may narrow the spread.

So, how much would you pay to move to the R given the above thoughts?

Thanks

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Autobahn is one word. Was trying to work out what AB is.

Are you still on stock wheels and tires?

The GTI can be made into a fun little ride with a few aftermarket bits and sticky rubber.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This being a R section, most people would say yes. Go for the R, if its not going to hit your personal financial goals.

When I got my GTI, the spread was about 7500 which I deemed too high. I'm hoping the slight lowering of R ask prices and the pristine nature of my GTI may narrow the spread.

I think the spread would have increased considering the fact that your GTI is a used vehicle now.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The pristine nature of the car doesn't mean all that much. You're probably going to have to eat a good amount of depreciation.

Gotta find out what the GTI is actually worth. I would suspect at best it's worth the same amount you owe.

Not a great financial decision most likely. Put some good tires on the GTI, it's a much different car with good rubber.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^ Yeah, I have a feeling the gap is now more than $12k.

That’s about 4 European Vacations with my gal, not worth it for me.

When I bought new in 2016 the gap new to new was $10k.

Plus I didn’t like the smug attitude of my MSRP or bust dealer.

After PSS then PS4S I can tell ya I have no regrets. Even after driving my friends 2017 R down Lime Creek Road.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I know, a million of these threads and everybody's wants/needs are different. But here are mine:

1. Currently have 2019 Iron Blue AB, DSG - <5K, all stock. Love it except for wheel spin when I push it/its wet/its snowy. I'm in Chicago and I don't want to swap tires between summers and snows. Yes, I could put better tires on it but I suspect that will help to a degree but not eliminate the issue.

2. I love having a sunroof - I'm not tall and I don't open it often but I like the light.

3. Until the GTI, I've always had AWD - love the handling, lack of wheel spin, and the snow performance.

4. Looking at grey or black 2019 R with the gloss black wheels.

5. If there was no price difference, I'd take the R in a heartbeat. When I got my GTI, the spread was about 7500 which I deemed too high. I'm hoping the slight lowering of R ask prices and the pristine nature of my GTI may narrow the spread.

Thanks

You can get a loaded AB for around 33/34k New. A loaded DSG R will run 41/42k. At best 8 or 9k difference before tax.

Even on the stupid "19 wheels AWD with good winter/all season tires will be better then no AWD. Neither the GTI or the R should be driven in more then a few inches of snow anyways.

Overall, AWD is a big difference for all types of driving and at this point in my life I feel that the 8 or 9k difference in cost is worth it.

I would go back to a WRX Limited (non-STI) before I even consider a GTI.

Why? AWD.. its that big of a deal sadly.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
You can get a loaded AB for around 33/34k New. A loaded DSG R will run 41/42k. At best 8 or 9k difference before tax.

Even on the stupid "19 wheels AWD with good winter/all season tires will be better then no AWD. Neither the GTI or the R should be driven in more then a few inches of snow anyways.

Overall, AWD is a big difference for all types of driving and at this point in my life I feel that the 8 or 9k difference in cost is worth it.

I would go back to a WRX Limited (non-STI) before I even consider a GTI.

Why? AWD.. its that big of a deal sadly.

The GTI can be had with a $4-$5k discount and special APR.

I got a $5,750 off of mine with discounts and finance bonus cash.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTI can be had with a $4-$5k discount and special APR.

I got a $5,750 off of mine with discounts and finance bonus cash.

So $26k before Tax? Yeah that would mean the GTI SE is like $15 or $16k cheaper. But the Autobahn is $8 or $9k cheaper... seriously could not find one for less then $33k and I was considering it and taking a risk on the AWD.

The SE GTI is great but it was missing a few things I could not live without.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
So $26k before Tax? Yeah that would mean the GTI SE is like $15 or $16k cheaper. But the Autobahn is $8 or $9k cheaper... seriously could not find one for less then $33k and I was considering it and taking a risk on the AWD.

The SE GTI is great but it was missing a few things I could not live without.

My sticker was $33.5 iirc.

I paid $27,750.

My car was a high spec car with all the bells and whistles, including DCC.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
Depreciation on the GTI has more than compensated for any softening in the R prices. You're still looking at a big chunk of change, and you'll lose that sunroof. I can understand wanting AWD in Chicago. I'd ignore the stock wheels on the R and plan for yet more expense. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the roads there in Chicago have you downsizing the wheels almost immediately.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Like others have said you'll take a huge hit in depreciation. If you can afford that go for the R.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I'm also in Chicagoland. While I loved my WRX in the winter and the acceleration grip it gave in all weather conditions, I've learned to accept the minor amounts of time that wheelspin on my GTI are actually bothersome. In poor weather, it means I shouldn't be pushing the car that fast anyways. And my minor investment in snow tires means I'll brake and corner better/safer in the snow and ice than any AWD car or truck that's rolling around on all-seasons.

If you're mostly concerned about being able to launch your car hard whenever you want, and you can afford the extra cost, then sure, go for the R. But your trade-in value will be thousands less than what you just paid.

Do yourself a favor, and just get a KBB Instant Cash Offer for your car, or do an online appraisal at Carmax.com (send in photos and info of your car), and you can get a realistic idea for what your car would be worth as a trade in. Start there, so you can make an informed decision instead of speculating about what it would be worth.

Hope this helps and good luck!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Trade a '19 for a '19 and take a massive bath? Financially it's a disaster, but whether or not that's a disaster for you personally depends on your own financial situation. If you're a trust fund baby, hedge fund manager, or last name is "Biden" or "Trump", I say go for it. If you're a regular ham & egger like most of the rest of us - maybe not.

I think you also have to ask yourself - wasn't what I now have the right car when I bought it? How can it be so wrong already? It's a slippery slope if you scratch that itch, because it's bound to happen again, sooner than later, if you have no restraint.

Good luck whichever way you wind up leaning.