GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire decision in NOVA

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Big proponent of Winter tires on all cars that see winter. Big proponent of Max Performance Summers on all cars that are ever driven in anger and see rain.

As far as anywhere on the east coast goes, I'd feel super sketchy running summer tires in Jan/Feb anything too much north of Myrtle Beach. West coast? I'd just rock summers year round from San Diego to Vancouver BC, and worst case take the occasional Uber. North Virginia? My chest hair's just not thick enough for summer tires year round there.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Big proponent of Winter tires on all cars that see winter. Big proponent of Max Performance Summers on all cars that are ever driven in anger and see rain.

As far as anywhere on the east coast goes, I'd feel super sketchy running summer tires in Jan/Feb anything too much north of Myrtle Beach. West coast? I'd just rock summers year round from San Diego to Vancouver BC, and worst case take the occasional Uber. North Virginia? My chest hair's just not thick enough for summer tires year round there.

That's why most from VA try to run HP All Seasons.....cause in VA it could be 70 and then snap that night with some light snow...although even then, NOVA can get some nasty freezing slush

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
DWS06.

/thread.

2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Indy 500s on my summer wheels, which I drive on all year unless salt and snow are on the ground. I circuit track with them too and they are fantastic.

That being said, I just picked up a set of winter wheels wrapped in DWS06 tires. I've had them on for the last couple weeks and the regular daily driving dry/wet performance is great. I can report back once we get some snow this winter.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
DWS06.

/thread.
Agreed, I have these on my R and for a all season they are beasts! Just drove them through rain yesterday and was very impressed with the amount of grip that they had. They are among the best all around tire for year round performance driving. For our area these are one of the few tires I'd consider for "all year only have one set of tires" tires.

The Michelin pilot sport AS3+ is a little better in the dry. But they can't quite touch the Continentals when it comes to snow traction.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
After much debate, I ended up going with General G-max As-05. I drive spirited but nothing crazy, and once I learned my pirellis were just grand touring tires I knew that any UHP tire would provide better performance for me. These also came in at 20lbs each and just under $495 shipped from tirerack. They will be here tomorrow and I’ll try and get them mounted ASAP and let you know my thoughts.