GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire decision in NOVA

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Hey guys, so I’m going on my second year now living in Northern Virginia and it’s time to replace the tires on my GTI. I haven’t had to purchase tires for a vehicle in over 10 years now because I simply haven’t kept a car long enough.

I’m in the FXBG/Stafford area and our winters aren’t bad, and mildly cold. What do you guys run for tires??? Performance all seasons or Summer tires?? I’d hate to compromise 350+ days of a performance tire because of only a few days of colder weather. Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since you only have a few days of colder weather run whatever tire you prefer.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
You need all seasons. I'm from south east va and wouldn't even think or running summers. Once it starts getting cold the summers will be hurting really bad and might even start to come apart

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
You need all seasons. I'm from south east va and wouldn't even think or running summers. Once it starts getting cold the summers will be hurting really bad and might even start to come apart

That’s kinda what I’m leaning towards right now.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
From RVA.... Run performance all seasons. You still get wintery mix you need to factor in

pitterchi

Ready to race!
All Seasons: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Costco often has promotions for $70 off plus .01 installation. Right now they have $70 off with $40 off installation.

DWS06's are popular too but I don't think Costco has them.

I run a summer set (Pilot Super Sports) and use All-Seasons in the winter (A/S 3+). I could easily get away with A/S 3+ all year long. Night and day compared to stock. My biggest mod yet.

I'd agree, you need to stay All Seasons if you only have one set. We get all 4 seasons here. Even though some winters we get no snow and some feel like the snow never stops.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Thanks for the replies, definitely leaning towards the DWS06. Although with tire racks current promotion I think the Michelin’s come out to the same price.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've run Firehawk Indy 500's through two winters now, with temps as low as 15 degrees, and my tires didn't "fall apart." Snow traction was tolerable, but not great. Given that I was able to drive through sections that had others spinning like fools, I'll estimate that their snow traction is possibly as good as the cheapest of off-brand all-season tires. ;) Ice traction is crap. I think ice is a greater problem in our area than snow most of the time. With that said, I have the flexibility to stay home when it snows.

I think my next tire will be the DWS06, not because it grips better than the Indy 500, but because it grips better than stock and appears to perform adequately in snow.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've run Firehawk Indy 500's through two winters now, with temps as low as 15 degrees, and my tires didn't "fall apart." Snow traction was tolerable, but not great. Given that I was able to drive through sections that had others spinning like fools, I'll estimate that their snow traction is possibly as good as the cheapest of off-brand all-season tires. ;) Ice traction is crap. I think ice is a greater problem in our area than snow most of the time. With that said, I have the flexibility to stay home when it snows.

I think my next tire will be the DWS06, not because it grips better than the Indy 500, but because it grips better than stock and appears to perform adequately in snow.
I don't think I'll be going back with AS3+.... Might have to look at DWS again

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Why's that? You don't like the Michelin's?
No real reason...I actually really like them, but I rotate between DWS, BFG and Eagle GT. Shoot, I may go back to Eagle GTs!

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti

Hmmm... I’m in the same boat, when the weather is bad I am home because work/school is closed. And if for some reason I HAD to go out l, my wife’s car is fine.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
It just sucks because we have so many days during the “winter” that are so nice. Most summer tires are cheaper as well.