GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change - wait till 10k?!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I just realized this car has 6 quarts of oil and my oil pan is only 5 quart size... oops.

Guess I'll just be removing the oil from the top with the Mityvac first.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/oil-service-kit/06l115562kt8/

What do you guys think of this kit? After shopping around this seems like a nice price point.

I don't think it's that good a deal to be honest when you can get Mobil 1 from Walmart for $23 for 5 quarts less a $12 mail in rebate (4 per household). Which if you buy four 5qt jugs, that puts you at $44 for 20 quarts....add on another $20 for a 3 pack of Mann filters puts you at $64 for your next three oil changes with 2qts to spare for any top ups as required.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I don't think it's that good a deal to be honest when you can get Mobil 1 from Walmart for $23 for 5 quarts less a $12 mail in rebate (4 per household). Which if you buy four 5qt jugs, that puts you at $44 for 20 quarts....add on another $20 for a 3 pack of Mann filters puts you at $64 for your next three oil changes with 2qts to spare for any top ups as required.

Are Mobil 1 and Mann good brands? Are the others like Liqui-Moly "Made in Germany" just marketing hype?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Are Mobil 1 and Mann good brands? Are the others like Liqui-Moly "Made in Germany" just marketing hype?

I'm not sure if it's hype or not, but I just used the Walmart Castrol stuff since it meets VW 502 00 and I change it every 4-5k instead of 10k so I figure it's probably fine.

FWIW I'd get a top vacuum oil extractor. I just did it and it was so easy. It got most of the oil out too (I forgot to remove the oil filter when I was sucking the oil out so it didn't get everything).

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Mobil 1 euro formula is plenty good and meets VW502 specs plus many others. Mann is an OEM filter maker for VW, I mention those because you can often find a 3 pack at a decent price on Amazon etc.

jackalope

Ready to race!
I’m on the “changing it early” boat, only because I can definitely tell the engine gets louder when the oil gets to around 6500-7000 miles. By louder I mean more ticking, clicking, mechanical noises.

Yes I noticed my car was rougher in the last 2000 miles when I did a 9500 interval. So I'm going to change around 7000 from now on.

But the first change should be done much sooner to get rid of the extra contaminants. Plus the factory oil is only 5W-30

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I don’t understand why people would continue to change at 4K-6k without any real evidence that their oil is toast/has broken down.

If you really want to know your actual OCI, order some Blackstone Kits and test.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Changing early can interfere with the break-in process. The additional metal particles in the oil actually help the parts mesh and wear correctly. Also too much friction modifier can interfere with this and result in an oil burning engine. Not worth changing early, and even maybe a bad idea.

Best to drive the same as you normally would, and change the oil when you normally would, be it 5000 or 10,000 miles. I think 6 month timed interval is ideal for both short trip driving and long haul miles.

Leave the filter on or unscrew it halfway to drain out and reuse. They are speced for 2yr/30,000km, modern clean burning engines basically drop nothing into the filter. Spend some time with cartridge filters and you will understand. Either way, a $20 oil change is a win verses not changing it at all.

I plan on 6 months on oem fill oil (504) and then 6 months on Rotella that I already have, with minimal friction modifiers. Then it'll be either 6 or 12 months on Castrol Edge 0w-40 or maybe PZ Euro L 5w-30 a mid saps MB 229.51 nearly a 504.

This is for my wife's new Golf SW 6M. I have a few different cars, so I only change once a year, even looking a every 2 years on my V8 Benz convert, it only gets 1000 miles a year.....more from the Rotella stash. Other rides are a 2012 Avant, a 2018 MB Metris van, the CLK 500 cabrio and a beater C240 wagon parked at my Daytona house.

The Metris is still looking at it's first oil change, but I will just use the Pennzoil and Mobil 1 0w-40 I already have here. High calcium, but I don't think my 7-sp automatic is susceptible to LSPI.

504 is the top spec in mid-saps oils that can reduced intake valve deposits in DI. Similar is MB 229.51 that can be had cheap in PZ Euro L https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903
So I am tempted by it. Very high flashpoint and low calcium to avert LSPI issues.

In full saps, VW 502 is an old and obsolete spec, not even used in Europe. Now US has the ultra low sulphur gas, these fully additized oils are not technically required. In that, Castrol 0w-40 is also low calcium, but has titanium that quenches LSPI. Full saps means expect no relief from valve deposits. Of the full saps specs we are familiar with, MB 229.5 is by far the best.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Changing early can interfere with the break-in process. The additional metal particles in the oil actually help the parts mesh and wear correctly. Also too much friction modifier can interfere with this and result in an oil burning engine. Not worth changing early, and even maybe a bad idea.

Best to drive the same as you normally would, and change the oil when you normally would, be it 5000 or 10,000 miles. I think 6 month timed interval is ideal for both short trip driving and long haul miles.

Leave the filter on or unscrew it halfway to drain out and reuse. They are speced for 2yr/30,000km, modern clean burning engines basically drop nothing into the filter. Spend some time with cartridge filters and you will understand. Either way, a $20 oil change is a win verses not changing it at all.

I plan on 6 months on oem fill oil (504) and then 6 months on Rotella that I already have, with minimal friction modifiers. Then it'll be either 6 or 12 months on Castrol Edge 0w-40 or maybe PZ Euro L 5w-30 a mid saps MB 229.51 nearly a 504.

This is for my wife's new Golf SW 6M. I have a few different cars, so I only change once a year, even looking a every 2 years on my V8 Benz convert, it only gets 1000 miles a year.....more from the Rotella stash. Other rides are a 2012 Avant, a 2018 MB Metris van, the CLK 500 cabrio and a beater C240 wagon parked at my Daytona house.

The Metris is still looking at it's first oil change, but I will just use the Pennzoil and Mobil 1 0w-40 I already have here. High calcium, but I don't think my 7-sp automatic is susceptible to LSPI.

504 is the top spec in mid-saps oils that can reduced intake valve deposits in DI. Similar is MB 229.51 that can be had cheap in PZ Euro L https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903
So I am tempted by it. Very high flashpoint and low calcium to avert LSPI issues.

In full saps, VW 502 is an old and obsolete spec, not even used in Europe. Now US has the ultra low sulphur gas, these fully additized oils are not technically required. In that, Castrol 0w-40 is also low calcium, but has titanium that quenches LSPI. Full saps means expect no relief from valve deposits. Of the full saps specs we are familiar with, MB 229.5 is by far the best.

I'm a courier and normally put over 200,000 miles on my car before getting a new one and I have always changed my oil in a new car at 1000 miles and every 4000 miles after and then switching to every 3000 miles after 100,000 miles. Metal parts in the oil during the break in period being a benefit is utterly absurd. My 18 GTI SE has 62,000 miles with FBO and IS38 and is going strong.

carerob

first oil change prompt at 4K

new GTI 2019 - getting a prompt to change oil at 4K km, two VW service say no need, one VW says bring it in and we will reset the prompt for 15,000, other says do it at 8,000 but my friend says follow the manufacturer's prompt 4K as this would be correct, to change the oil after the break-in. thoughts??

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
new GTI 2019 - getting a prompt to change oil at 4K km, two VW service say no need, one VW says bring it in and we will reset the prompt for 15,000, other says do it at 8,000 but my friend says follow the manufacturer's prompt 4K as this would be correct, to change the oil after the break-in. thoughts??

The 4k warning might be because the light (prompt) comes on after 1 year. If your car was sitting at the dealership for a while prior to you buying it then it will hit the 1 year mark well before the 15k km mark.

I would just change the oil anyways since I wouldn't want 1+ year old oil going another 11k km.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
People pay $25K + for a car and then want to cheap out on oil changes. Changing the oil more often is cheap insurance for your $25K + investment.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
People pay $25K + for a car and then want to cheap out on oil changes. Changing the oil more often is cheap insurance for your $25K + investment.

Good point, if you keep your car for longer than the warranty period
changing the oil sooner is better. I do mine @ 6 months oil and filter.

I can't fathom running 0W20 oil in the summer heat of Arizona.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

My $0.02...

But what’s the point when you change the oil without testing?

1k miles? 4K miles?

It’s all guessing.

I will say oil is a finite resource that does impact the environment.

So if your oil OCI checks out at 6k miles you’re just wasting time, money and resources.

Besides, you never hear about VWs going through motors if maintained to the factory OCI, at least before 200k miles. Usually the whole car falls apart while the engine keeps on ticking. ;)