GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Avoid Speedwell Industries & East End Raceshop

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I am usually the last person to do this, but I have no choice at this point but to put them on blast.

I purchased a set of "final prototype" wheels off of "Sam" from East End Raceshop/Speedwell Industries (same company apparently). https://www.speedwellind.com/

I was approached about these wheels on a Facebook post, I posted asking if anybody had any wheels I could purchase from them while I was in a road trip in California (Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/APjZtnn)

I thought, wow this would be perfect as I really like the wheels and they are forged. Here is a few screenshots of how our conversation went: https://imgur.com/a/GGgODBF (they seem to be a tad scrambled)

As you can see, I am under the impression that I am getting near-new wheels, final prototypes that were mounted just to take photos and driven on for a few days. I was supposed to have the wheels detailed, tires shined, free merch inside the box and everything sent to me.

Wheels arrived not cleaned, tires not cleaned, no merch,not balanced, and damaged wheels.
Here are photos of the damage:https://imgur.com/a/bYtNn7j

They claimed wheels were totally fine before they were mailed out, he says they didn't notice any damage at all. BUT the packaging was completely fine, no big tears in the plastic wrap or cuts in the cardboard. Nothing. There is absolutely no way that these deep gaushes and scrapes went through plastic and cardboard, cut the wheels, but left the packing unscathed. Also they don't have any photos what-so-ever proving that the wheels had no damage before shipping them.

Big argument back and forth about doing a UPS claim, I felt I didn't need to / shouldn't have to file a claim and deal with UPS as it is very clear they wouldn't cover this as there is no proof that UPS damaged it because the packaging was totally fine.

Fast forward about a week of being put off and no replies, I finally get a response and they're willing to refund me $150 USD for the damage as long as I kept them, I thought that I wasn't thrilled about it, but it was better than nothing and it seemed I was going to be screwed.

I agreed to the $150 and took my wheels to a shop to be balanced ( why the tires were mounted to the wheel, but not balanced is completely beyond me ). When I arrived I had them balanced and the shop brought to my attention that one of the wheels had a bend in it. They said they are very confident this was caused by a pothole or something similar.
Photo: https://imgur.com/a/vPF2Qa7

I contacted Sam about this bend and I was completely fed up at this point and I paid for these May 14th and I still haven't got these damn wheels on my car and then find out that the wheel is bent.

Of course, this is denied that it had anything to do with them, they fell back on to a UPS claim (Even though they admitted they damaged at least one and offered $150 as reimbursement). With a tire mounted to a wheel and covered in cardboard, foam, and plastic wrap, there is absolutely no way UPS bent this forged wheel. The manager refused to call me, Sam refused to give me the managers phone number, said to me that the manager is busy and I can call the office when he is back.

I wanted a prepaid shipping label so I can drop these off at UPS and get a refund and be done with this massive headache, they refused. Sam on the phone admitted to me that there is no chance for a UPS case as the packaging was mint, but they still refused to do anything but $150.
Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/YXAHmui

So I had no choice but to file a dispute with my credit card company and hopefully this post prevents anybody from purchasing anything from these guys and avoiding this massive nightmare that is my reality.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
That is some crappy forged wheel and service.

How much did you pay for this set?

I paid $1000 + $110 for the wheels and tires.
Seemed cheap but they were "final prototype" wheels and just used to mount and take pics, thought maybe they just wanted to get rid of them.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Using a CC over PayPal probably saved you on this. I'd roll with fraud protection with a CC any day of the week on this stuff.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Using a CC over PayPal probably saved you on this. I'd roll with fraud protection with a CC any day of the week on this stuff.

Using your credit card through PayPal is even better because PayPal always stands behind the buyer. So there would be two companies backing you.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I paid $1000 + $110 for the wheels and tires.

Seemed cheap but they were "final prototype" wheels and just used to mount and take pics, thought maybe they just wanted to get rid of them.

USD? Sucks man. Sorry to hear it.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunately not. Just credit card on their website.

Started a charge back claim.

Hope this works out. You seem to have things documented well.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Yeah USD, had them shipped to Blaine and then paid duties on them..thanks dude.
That sucks man, I hope it gets resolved soon. I'm not in the market for wheels but thanks for the heads up anyways.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I think you're overreacting for scratches on the inside of the wheel that no one will ever even see.

That said, used wheels are used wheels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I think you're overreacting for scratches on the inside of the wheel that no one will ever even see.

That said, used wheels are used wheels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't think the scratches are that big of a deal. The fact that they were undisclosed and claimed to be shipping damage is what I have a problem with.

Some of them can actually be seen from the front of the wheel as its pretty open-faced. I would be OK with these marks if they were disclosed to me upon purchasing, not sold as near-mint and then this arrives.

I more have an issue with the dishonesty, lack of responsibility, and the bend in one of the wheels. I would have to disagree that I am overreacting.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Yeah USD, had them shipped to Blaine and then paid duties on them..thanks dude.

I think you can get your duty/taxes back from CBSA if you can prove to them you returned the wheels for a refund.