GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

GFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I was surprised how easy it was to overheat the brakes. Tons of tight turns and it’s a pretty intense stretch of road, more so than anything I’ve encountered in NYC.

Everyone took care to not overdrive their car, this was emphasized during the pre-run brief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
I was surprised how easy it was to overheat the brakes. Tons of tight turns and it’s a pretty intense stretch of road, more so than anything I’ve encountered in NYC.

Everyone took care to not overdrive their car, this was emphasized during the pre-run brief.

aka the Alex Mustard Mayo speech

You guys are cooking brakes on public roads? Be careful. You guys should do a track day instead of doing this teenager shit.

you should come next time, we plan on implementing cyclist tipping, kind of like cow tipping, but bicyclists

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
You guys are cooking brakes on public roads? Be careful. You guys should do a track day instead of doing this teenager shit.

These roads aren't your typical roads so yes, if you drive spiritedly there is a possibility to cook your brakes.

Before the runs I gather people around for a speech about the route, safety, how to drive (or not to over drive), what to look out for and to warn others of cyclists, cars or people on the road using the 2 way radios that I encouraged everyone to bring.

No need the for 'teenage ish comment though as we are being safe and everyone on these runs has been having a great time over the past few months.

I thought you joined one of these...am I wrong?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
The average age is likely in the 30s. Everyone is pretty responsible. The course is just lots of turns. 40 mph, brake, turn, 40 mph brake turn... Etc. My logs show me rarely even making full boost for more than 1 second.

Yep.

Glad you had a good time!

aka the Alex Mustard Mayo speech

you should come next time, we plan on implementing cyclist tipping, kind of like cow tipping, but bicyclists

The CTR's wing will do the tipping for us!

Stay between the mustard and the mayo.... classic!

I can't take credit for this saying as I got it from WITW!

I imagined a sandwich with white bread, mayo on each slice, and mustard in the middle.

Lol

TimmyTbonez235

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
My first run was a little sketchy because I went into blind but still a whole blast and will definitely be back for more

Navi

Autocross Champion
These roads aren't your typical roads so yes, if you drive spiritedly there is a possibility to cook your brakes.

Before the runs I gather people around for a speech about the route, safety, how to drive (or not to over drive), what to look out for and to warn others of cyclists, cars or people on the road using the 2 way radios that I encouraged everyone to bring.

No need the for 'teenage ish comment though as we are being safe and everyone on these runs has been having a great time over the past few months.

I'm pretty sure granny can cook the brakes on her corolla with hankook kinergy gt tires on these streets if she isn't paying attention to what she is doing.

idriveastick

Ready to race!

Yeah, I went once. I was saying, this "teenager" (meaning, teenagers rip around public roads) shit is dumb for a bunch of 30/40-somethings driving $40k cars. A meetup is one thing, even a drive or two, but you guys push your cars. Go tear up a track, where it's really safe and you can push harder. Those roads, while fun, are still dangerous because they aren't meant for the type of driving you guys are doing. To each their own, but it seems penny-wise, pound-foolish to not organize a track day if you're going to be driving like you're on the track.

You can claim you are safe all you want, but you're not. Clearly, we have a different definition of "safe." Just because no one has crashed or hit someone/something doesn't mean it's safe. Public roads aren't meant for the driving you're doing, especially with all of those blind turns where brush and trees make it so you can only see 20 feet in front of you, while ripping around a corner.

Not to mention, it'll hurt the wallet when you get tickets. I've been there, done that, and it sucked (same scenario: meet up with 10-20 cars, go driving up through Rhinebeck and New Paltz, eight of us got pulled over by four troopers all to the tune of over $2000 a piece worth of fines and court fees, plus lawyers). Maybe I'm just more gun-shy but you shouldn't lie to yourself. What you guys are doing, safety briefing or not, is not safe for you, your cars, pedestrians, and other folks on the road. I'm all for spirited driving, but the runs I went on that one time showed how careless some of you guys are. Not to mention, it's clear people don't have driving experience. Remember that one guy who went off the road and barely saved it? All it takes is to get sucked off the road and slam into a tree at 60mph on a 25mph road. I remember numerous times where we'd all come flying around a turn and there would be someone walking on the side of the road, causing us all to slam our brakes on. That's safe?

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
And a bicyclist can get killed by a deer running across the street. We all know the consequences and can live with it. Everyone drives at their own pace. If you don't want to partake, then you can sit at home. And what does 40k car have to do with anything. I know a ton of teenagers with 60-80k cars. I also know adults with 20k cars. So they should drive like dicks? How are you correlating income to maturity? That seems like some teenage thing to do. And we are not even close to track speeds. A lot of things hurt the wallet. That's life. Pay to play (not just cars, but everything).

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah, I went once. I was saying, this "teenager" (meaning, teenagers rip around public roads) shit is dumb for a bunch of 30/40-somethings driving $40k cars. A meetup is one thing, even a drive or two, but you guys push your cars. Go tear up a track, where it's really safe and you can push harder. Those roads, while fun, are still dangerous because they aren't meant for the type of driving you guys are doing. To each their own, but it seems penny-wise, pound-foolish to not organize a track day if you're going to be driving like you're on the track.

You can claim you are safe all you want, but you're not. Clearly, we have a different definition of "safe." Just because no one has crashed or hit someone/something doesn't mean it's safe. Public roads aren't meant for the driving you're doing, especially with all of those blind turns where brush and trees make it so you can only see 20 feet in front of you, while ripping around a corner.

Not to mention, it'll hurt the wallet when you get tickets. I've been there, done that, and it sucked (same scenario: meet up with 10-20 cars, go driving up through Rhinebeck and New Paltz, eight of us got pulled over by four troopers all to the tune of over $2000 a piece worth of fines and court fees, plus lawyers). Maybe I'm just more gun-shy but you shouldn't lie to yourself. What you guys are doing, safety briefing or not, is not safe for you, your cars, pedestrians, and other folks on the road. I'm all for spirited driving, but the runs I went on that one time showed how careless some of you guys are. Not to mention, it's clear people don't have driving experience. Remember that one guy who went off the road and barely saved it? All it takes is to get sucked off the road and slam into a tree at 60mph on a 25mph road. I remember numerous times where we'd all come flying around a turn and there would be someone walking on the side of the road, causing us all to slam our brakes on. That's safe?

Did you have a radio? How is anything blind if you're not the first car? I just stay a car length or two back from the car ahead of me so nothing surprises me. The radio communication keeps you informed of stuff well ahead, so you're prepared. I don't get up to 60mph on these roads and still have fun.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
And a bicyclist can get killed by a deer running across the street. We all know the consequences and can live with it. Everyone drives at their own pace. If you don't want to partake, then you can sit at home. And what does 40k car have to do with anything. I know a ton of teenagers with 60-80k cars. I also know adults with 20k cars. So they should drive like dicks? How are you correlating income to maturity? That seems like some teenage thing to do. And we are not even close to track speeds. A lot of things hurt the wallet. That's life. Pay to play (not just cars, but everything).

You can try to excuse asshole driving all you want, but that doesn't change reality. My point was, the initial defense was that folks are an average age in their 30s, right? Also, lots of folks are driving $40k cars. Do those two facts not generally state that there is decent income among most of the group? I was simply qualifying that the group isn't a bunch of teenagers with $2500 Honda civics with pep boys fart cans, yet that is the driving style, on public roads. The group are clearly older and more established folks who have a fair chunk of change into a car. Given that, it can be presumed that said folks can afford a track day.

I don't count other peoples' pockets, but if you're driving a $40k car and can't afford a few hundred or a couple grand (depending on the track) track day, I'd say priorities are out of wack.

And let's be real: the teenagers with $60-80k cars probably have some help from family in some form or fashion. That is definitely not the norm. I hope we can agree on that.

"Pay to play" is one thing on a track, or tuning the hell out of a vehicle and it blows up, etc. But what happens when someone pays with their life or limb? Then what'll be the answer?

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Did you have a radio? How is anything blind if you're not the first car? I just stay a car length or two back from the car ahead of me so nothing surprises me. The radio communication keeps you informed of stuff well ahead, so you're prepared. I don't get up to 60mph on these roads and still have fun.

Only a car length or two? Case in point.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

You are entitled to your opinion that's for sure. That's really all I have to say and I don't want to clutter this thread with something we don't agree with.