GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
UPDATE: 06/21/19:
FYI: FOR FUTURE RUNS

Because of traffic at Bear Mountain the majority of us have voted to start the runs at 7am sharp. I will ask for people to get to the starting point by 6:45am so we can roll out at 7am. Also, we have made it so we are only making 2 stops. Rolling straight to Bear Mountain (Perkins Memorial Tower) from the new meeting spot of Lake Welch Beach and from Bear Mountain we will head to Storm King Highway ending at Donahue Memorial Park.

I will update this thread with pics of the route shortly. I will also update the original post.

Meetup Spot at 6:45am (rollout 7am sharp):

Lake Welch Beach
800 Kanawauke Rd,
Stony Point, NY 10980

Here is the first route:

Lake Welch to Perkins Memorial Tower (Bear Mountain Top):

https://goo.gl/maps/c1qFcvRJfyqz9ktv8

Here is the second route:

Perkins Memorial Tower (Bear Mountain Top) through Storm King Hwy:

https://goo.gl/maps/5Y8nmNeYp8nfmjWL6

This route will probably make for a smaller group but the smiles per mile should increase for sure.

****************************************************************************************************************************

Decided to keep just one thread of ongoing runs since it seems we will be doing this up until the weather it gets too cold. I want to say for now we will have runs up until November depending on the weather.

Creating this here since we are trying to get MK7’s together. Anyone can join of course as I don't own the roads...just hoping to get a bunch of us MK7’s (R’s and GTI’s).

Our first two meets were a success with 18 (despite the rain) at the first meet and 25 at the next one. We have a WhatsApp Group of local MK7 Golf R/GTI’s from NJ/NYC that we vote on popular days and will then post them here.

I have a route that I've created on Google Maps that I will share shortly. It's a nice run through Harriman State Park and Seven Lakes all the way up to Bear Mountain. The route is about 32 miles and takes an hour or so. We could also drive up to Storm King Hwy as well.

After the run at about 12pm we can have lunch. On our first meet we ate at Table 9. The parking lot is a good size to accommodate a large group and it has worked out fine before. We can always choose another spot and I’m open to suggestions as I’m always down for new places to eat.

Bring a 2-way radio which is great for communicating in a large group, especially on a car cruise. Cell phone service is spotty, but I guess you can use an app called 'Zello' to communicate with others if you don't have a radio. Someone will have to setup a group in Zello.

We will be using channel 5 and private channel 5.

A good radio as an example is this one but any FRS radio with private/family channels will due:

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-LXT6...ay&sprefix=midland+2+way+radio,aps,157&sr=8-3

This is a cruise and not a race. There are some nice back roads where you can drive spiritedly but you do have to be careful about hikers walking, bicyclist and other family around that are enjoying the area.

I'll post back up with more updates and a link to the route. My work internet is giving me issues (not surprisingly) with generating the preview link I want.

I’m planning to stop at the State Line Café at 8:20am in case anyone wants to meetup before heading to Kanawauke Picnic Area. I will post a second spot for people coming from the west if needed. Not sure if it is yet.

For those coming from Brooklyn a few of us are meeting here at 7:20am and rolling out at 7:30am

Sunoco
497 Meeker Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11222

Meetup Spot 1 (Those coming up the Palisades) @ 8:15am

State Line Café (State Line Lookout)
Closter, NJ 07624

Looking to leave at 8:30am

Meetup Spot 2 (TBD)
If needed

Starting Run @ 9am
Kanawauke Picnic Area
Kanawauke Rd, Bear Mountain, NY 10911

Looking to start the run at 9:30am

UPDATE: 04/30/2019

Stops for Bear Mountain Run:

1. Kanawauke Picnic Area, Kanawauke Rd, Bear Mountain, NY 10911
  2. Tiorati Lake Recreation Area, 3200 Seven Lakes Dr, Southfields, NY 10975
  3. Appalachian Trail Parking, Elk Pen, Southfields, NY 10975
  4. Tuxedo Park and Ride, NY-17A & County Rd 106 & Kanawauke Rd, Southfields, NY 10975
  5. Kanawauke Picnic Area, Kanawauke Rd, Bear Mountain, NY 10911
  6. Perkins Memorial Tower, Perkins Memorial Dr, Stony Point, NY 10980
31.8 Miles and about 1hr of a drive

UPDATE: 06/07/2019

On the first run we decided to do a loop before heading to Bear Mountain, which was closed that day. I decided to split up the maps so it's less confusing. We can run this loop a few times going one direction and then reversing it.

Link to Map for Kanuawake Picnic Area Seven Lakes Loop
https://goo.gl/maps/ZtuocwMQZ37rcG1R6

Link to Bear Mountain which takes to you the Perkins Tower
https://goo.gl/maps/xnXsyBnqsSafGFsM7

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Next Run

08/18 or 08/25

List of Who's Going:

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Future Runs

08/18/2019

08/25/2019

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
5/5/2019:

5/19/2019:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
BTW, Zello uses cell service, it's not phone to phone. Zello would be useful for planning purposes where you have a group and you all want to discuss logistics via voice. Probably not great for car to car comms when there is no cell service.

It's also helpful to download offline maps for the area in Google Maps before heading there.

Bring a 2-way radio which is great for communicating in a large group, especially on a car cruise. Cell phone service is spotty, but I guess you can use an app called 'Zello' to communicate with others if you don't have a radio. Someone will have to setup a group in Zello.

We will be using channel 5 and private channel 5.

A good radio as an example is this one but any FRS radio with private/family channels will due:

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
May I bring this?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
BTW, Zello uses cell service, it's not phone to phone. Zello would be useful for planning purposes where you have a group and you all want to discuss logistics via voice. Probably not great for car to car comms when there is no cell service.

It's also helpful to download offline maps for the area in Google Maps before heading there.

Correct. I'm not sure if everyone will have cell service so I just left it up as a suggestion since some won't bring a radio. Maybe to communicate in between runs. During a run though I would not recommend Zello.

May I bring this?

Sure.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Brooklyn Meetup

For people in Brooklyn a group of us will meet up here at 7:20am and roll out at 7:30am

Sunoco Gas Station
497 Meeker Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222
(718) 389-2729
https://goo.gl/maps/MWtLfLAGs2j8ZAoq7

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
i might be able to do the 30th. it depends if i am in town for work or not. if anyone is near the mount laurel/cherry hill area and want to convoy up there, let me know.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
i might be able to do the 30th. it depends if i am in town for work or not. if anyone is near the mount laurel/cherry hill area and want to convoy up there, let me know.

Sounds good.

Just stumbled onto this thread, I might show up tomorrow morning if I can get out of bed. Thanks for organizing!

We voted on Saturdays but Sundays won out. We don't have any run schedule for Saturday as of yet. Just 06/09 and 06/30 which are both Sundays.

Everyone else is showing up Sunday.

Yep