GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 AFR Headlight Adjustment With OBD11

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I live in an area with quite a few hills and driving at 0430 in the morning......the auto leveled headlight height was a shade too low for me, so after poking around OBD11 and asking a few more knowledgeable folks than me, I had success with correctly adjusting the headlight level and having the adaption stick. Below I've tried to describe and show a screen capture for what you'll be looking for.

Notes: I left my car running during this. I also used a permanent marker to mark "true north" of the adjustment knob, so I could track how far I turned the knob.

Here we go:

1. Navigate to control units, once connected to your car, under garage (pic 1).

2. Then navigate down towards the bottom to find "4B" (pic 2).

3. Select "Basic Settings" from the menu (pic 3).

4. Select "Basic headlight settings" (pic 4).

5. Press and hold the green check mark.

6. Press the back button.

You're going to see an AFR Error message pop up on your dash.... Don't freak out.

7. Go to the headlights and stick the Allen wrench in the adjustment knob.

8. Turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE to raise the beam. I needed two full rotations to raise just enough.

9. Go back to your OBD11 and select "Acknowledge basic settings" (pic 5).

10. Press and hold the green check mark.

Once complete, the new height has been properly stored. Log out.

Turn the car off, and then restart and watch the auto level raise to new desired height.

I also included two pics at the end, for those that aren't sure where the adjustment knobs are.

Last edited:

DuckinFouglas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
It was so difficult to find a proper headlight adjustment thread for a lowered 7.5! All the others I found had it in a different module. I just let the car correct itself after the basic settings checkmark and they moved. If I need more, I will try the mechanical adjustment next. Thanks again!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Glad it helped out! Seriously though, finding a level area is probably the hardest step of the whole process.

DuckinFouglas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Glad it helped out! Seriously though, finding a level area is probably the hardest step of the whole process.

On the attached photo, the black squares were where my falloff was before I hit the checkmark. I'm right against the door so hopefully those few inches will translate nicely in the real world. Havent got to drive it yet. Will try mechanical adjustment if it isnt enough.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BLAZDAk37AEHVUmt8

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yeah just remember if you do manual adjustment.....by measuring at that close of a distance, that transfers to a huge adjustment at actual distance where you should be measuring.

DuckinFouglas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
yeah i was definitely hesitant to start turning screws. hoping to drive it tonight to see if its back to factory, thats all i wanted. might get brave and adjust slightly for more night visibility.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yeah i was definitely hesitant to start turning screws. hoping to drive it tonight to see if its back to factory, thats all i wanted. might get brave and adjust slightly for more night visibility.

make sure you mark where the OEM screw sits BEFORE you start to turn...that way you can track how far/many turns you did, so you can always backtrack if need be.

So far my adjustment has been perfect. Sits a tad higher and still well below blinding anyone.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I didnt even mess with OBD11, after getting the ride height where I wanted I just adjusted the headlights and it's been great since.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I didnt even mess with OBD11, after getting the ride height where I wanted I just adjusted the headlights and it's been great since.
Do you have Auto leveling?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yes I do, we have pretty much the same car.

Edit: I did also mark the adjustment knobs so I know where they were originally
Well cool....I thought we had to put it in adjustment mode for it to truly take as the new baseline

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, that is how you do it, nice write up. I have posted in a couple threads and included the maintenance procedure from the manual below. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=662527&postcount=7

Our headlights need a reference position, they don't magically adjust themselves. If they need adjustment you will have go into VCDS, tell the headlights you are adjusting, adjust, and then set the new reference position.

[FONT=&quot]Adjust Headlight:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Using Vagcom, select module: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]headlamp range control, basic settings. Now manually adjust headlights or have done professionally. When complete, select Accept Basic Setting. This provides the AFS stored starting position.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I posted the maintenance procedure from the repair manual here:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...ded#post393164[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Park you car 25' from a wall on level ground. The cutoff point of the beam should be 2" below the center of your headlight. [/FONT]

Alltrack Army

Thanks, this is the first set of instructions that worked on my 19 Alltrack. The other variations of steps listed modules that I don't have on my OBDeleven.

I lowered my car and afterwards my headlights were pointing down about 20' in front of my car. So tonight I placed a tape line on my garage door to mark position before I touched anything. Then ran through steps 6. The lights auto adjusted about 8" up from my tape marks. Rather than adjust up anymore with the Allen from there I took it for a spin and seems to be in the right place. Came back, cycled my ignition and lights went back to the higher and adjusted position.

Will give it a few days and evaluate if any more adjustments are required.

Thanks again and Ai-ee-yah!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Alltrack Army;860010/ said:
Thanks again and Ai-ee-yah!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wait..... What? No crap?!? "VETERANS"!!! PM me