GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you get crank walk with a dkm clutch? Get in here!!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Not to be fear monger, but OP is 11/17 build.

And mine crankwalked on stock clutch and stock power - 07/15 build though.

I had planned on getting SMFW when clutch starts slipping, but now I don't know what the heck to get after reading this thread...

Mine was 14 and most I've seen have all been 14 specifically 4-8 months ;)

To all worried: You're fine. It was a VW fluke at the assembly. Did not mean to cause a scare just keep an eye on it like all things.

I'm now having issues with my new car so I may just be cursed lol.

DKM clutches are the best there is. No issue whatsoever with them.

If the pedal sticks after a right hand turn than start being concerned otherwise you are fine.

If you're really worried take your parts and swap to a DSG like I did :) well worth it!

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Just installed the Fluidampr crank pulley today....smoothed out the engine a lot. The chatter from the SMFW is still there, but the car vibrates a lot less. I'll be testing a cold start tomorrow with it.
Thinking of doing the same, mechanic advised me to as well. Steep price for just a pulley though.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have it as well, installed at the time of the clutch. Makes a big difference, you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Its on sale at USP, bought it with a new factory bolt for $373, then $100 installation.
$100 to install it, it takes 15 minutes, 1 bolt, and remove the belt, just put the motor TDC and remove the bolt and balancer then put fluidampr on, it can only go on one way, line o ring on bolt and reinstall bolt, then torque down

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
$100 to install it, it takes 15 minutes, 1 bolt, and remove the belt, just put the motor TDC and remove the bolt and balancer then put fluidampr on, it can only go on one way, line o ring on bolt and reinstall bolt, then torque down

Doesn't it take a special tool? And if you F it up, you really really F it up...yeah? I'd pay a shop $100 for peace of mind. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Benihana

Go Kart Champion

I heard it needed a special tool so I didn't even attempt to try it, but if it was easily doable I would of done it myself and saved the cash.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Doesn't it take a special tool? And if you F it up, you really really F it up...yeah? I'd pay a shop $100 for peace of mind. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It does take a special tool, but you can make one and there are other ways to get the engine to not rotate. That anything else,.sure it can get messed up, but ya if someone isnt comfortable then I guess dont do it

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I heard it needed a special tool so I didn't even attempt to try it, but if it was easily doable I would of done it myself and saved the cash.
There is a special tool, it's like $60 or something, forgot how much I paid for it. You can make one pretty easy if you have a welder

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If you run a clutch bypass switch, you'll probably never have this problem again

There is not one available for the MK7. I did find in the shop manual that there is an adaption to be done on the clutch position switch when you replace it, but it doesn't go into detail as to how its done. Possibly somewhere in there you can deactivate it for starting purposes.

JustinH

There is not one available for the MK7. I did find in the shop manual that there is an adaption to be done on the clutch position switch when you replace it, but it doesn't go into detail as to how its done. Possibly somewhere in there you can deactivate it for starting purposes.

I’m getting a 2017 engine with 21600 miles.. will the newer engine still have the same issue?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve heard rumors of bone stock cars with under 1000 miles having crank walk, even 2018 & 2019.

This is third hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

If it makes you feel better my personal car has 76k and dkm twin disk with no issues. I personally have only seen one crank walk and I’m in the industry (mk7 specifically)

JustinH

I’ve heard rumors of bone stock cars with under 1000 miles having crank walk, even 2018 & 2019.

This is third hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

If it makes you feel better my personal car has 76k and dkm twin disk with no issues. I personally have only seen one crank walk and I’m in the industry (mk7 specifically)

Hopefully I get the same luck. If I crank walk two engines I’m going to be super pissed lol