GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 Install Question?

MikeyGTi1

I am in the process of installing my Bilstein B8 struts, and have a question about the torque spec for the strut nut.

Factory is 44 ft/lb, should I torque to that?
Bilstein says 34 ft/lb which seems low?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I am in the process of installing my Bilstein B8 struts, and have a question about the torque spec for the strut nut.

Factory is 44 ft/lb, should I torque to that?
Bilstein says 34 ft/lb which seems low?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

The upper strut nut is going to be supplied by bilstein with the shock, so I'd say you're safe to use their spec. If you're concerned that it'll come loose I wouldn't be, but you'd probably also be clear to split the difference and torque to 39 ft lbs! :D

MikeyGTi1

The upper strut nut is going to be supplied by bilstein with the shock, so I'd say you're safe to use their spec. If you're concerned that it'll come loose I wouldn't be, but you'd probably also be clear to split the difference and torque to 39 ft lbs! :D

Thanks, really just concerned about any squeaks/rattles as a result of it not being tight enough

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I can't remember if that nut is a nylock nut or a deformed nut from bilstein but as long as you get it tight around their spec or 10% higher if you'd like it's not going to be loose or loosen up.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Bumping this since I'll be installing my B8's and Eibach springs next week. According to the Bilstein instructions, the correct torque spec for the upper strut nut on the front is 54ft lb's since it's an M14x1.5-8 selflocking nyloc nut.