GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Congrats Aelwulf Happy it all finally worked out for you brother!! I am a little surprised that you think the stock tires are that bad as I have the same car. It is true on brand new tires you do need to let them run in a bit but I have just over 1k miles on my Rabbit and did a run up through the canyons here in SoCal last week and I had a hard time getting the front end to push out if at all. I don't think I have heard the tires break loose in second gear for me yet but from a dig in first when the boost kicks in it will break them loose but always catches right before 2nd gear in the DSG. The thing I was worried about was turn in and maybe having to go with a little bigger rear swaybar since I was worried about understeer but I don't see the need for that all all yet. Maybe when I add more power with a JB1 or JB4 down the line guess we shall see. But with better summer tires I bet understeer would be even less of an issue. Let us know how the Generals are after you get them for me in the future it would be between the Falkens and the Generals because I cant stand Firestone as a company no matter what!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Good to know that everything worked out finally and congrats on your Rabbit.

There are several threads out here on people reporting how bad these tires are. You can lose traction pretty quick especially when the tires are brand new and if the roads were wet. You will recognize noticeable difference after replacing those tires.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Congrats Aelwulf Happy it all finally worked out for you brother!! I am a little surprised that you think the stock tires are that bad as I have the same car. It is true on brand new tires you do need to let them run in a bit but I have just over 1k miles on my Rabbit and did a run up through the canyons here in SoCal last week and I had a hard time getting the front end to push out if at all. I don't think I have heard the tires break loose in second gear for me yet but from a dig in first when the boost kicks in it will break them loose but always catches right before 2nd gear in the DSG. The thing I was worried about was turn in and maybe having to go with a little bigger rear swaybar since I was worried about understeer but I don't see the need for that all all yet. Maybe when I add more power with a JB1 or JB4 down the line guess we shall see. But with better summer tires I bet understeer would be even less of an issue. Let us know how the Generals are after you get them for me in the future it would be between the Falkens and the Generals because I cant stand Firestone as a company no matter what!

I will agree part of it might be the tire break-in. It may also have been a small patch of dirt that blended more with the road given the location but I went a bit wide *and slower* on purpose as that's common in that location. I think most are imagining a long power slide kind of thing when it was more like a small hiccup slip. The passengers didn't register it but I did.

I did push it a bit once to see if I could tell when the understeer kicked in when on my own. I could feel it but agree that it's not drastic enough so far to hurry the RSB. But there will be one in the future. ;)

I'll definitely post up on the Generals after a bit. No experience with them so a small leap of faith from forum experiences, but I'm hoping they're good enough as interims until I can swing Contis or Michelins again.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm surprised by anyone who doesn't think the stock rubber is awful. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm surprised by anyone who doesn't think the stock rubber is awful. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can vouch for the OEM tires being awful. I had to replace them at 15,000 miles when they were down to 4/32 tread left. 4/32 is the least amount of tread I'll drive with. And with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires I replaced the OEM tires with they reduced the understeer considerably compared to the OEM tires.