GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clown car horn

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Are the Super-tone horns waterproof? Looks like they are completely exposed to the elements, which is one thing that kills the stock horns.

Also if you don't mind fashioning your own bracket and wiring, you can get them on Amazon for under 35.00..

I haven't looked at the stock horns on the MK7. I replaced both horns on my MK4 and my MK5. They looked like the "snail" type and water could splash into the openings if you went through deep water. That was common on the country roads here. Lucky for me they all failed under warranty. A single horn without labor was $80 the last time I replaced one, and that was about 8 years ago.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
These things are LOUD hahaha.

That sucks, I would maybe add a rubber washer in between them to help absord some of the vibrations. The location that's mounted to is going to feel all of the chassis vibrations and they could come loose again.

Is that bracket already there and you just drill holes?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was searching for what the OEM horns look like, and cam e across the ECS kit. They give the specs for the loudness of the stock and the Hella horns. As I recall, every 2dB increase doubles the loudness? Strange their numbers aren't linear but I'm no sound engineer.

PERFORMANCE FEATURES

dB Measurement @ 0ft
Stock MK7 GTI Horns: 105.6 dB
ECS Harness w/ Supertone Horns: 117.0 dB (+11.4 dB)

dB Measurement @ 20ft
Stock MK7 GTI Horns: 99.1 dB
ECS Harness w/ Supertone Horns: 105.1 dB (+6.0 dB)

dB Measurement @ 40ft
Stock MK7 GTI Horns: 84.6 dB
ECS Harness w/ Supertone Horns: 102.9 dB (+18.3 dB)

dB Measurement @ 60ft
Stock MK7 GTI Horns: 81.0 dB
ECS Harness w/ Supertone Horns: 84.5 dB (+3.5 dB)

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
The cheapest solution is not a horn at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just installed a set of Super Tone on my Alltrack. You can get a set on Amazon for under 30.00, and while not as clean as the ECS kit, you can pretty much achieve the same results using the supplied brackets and once the grill is reinstalled you can't even tell, and save 100.00

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Nice job. It's a little crooked, if that bothers you. Did you use a star washer between the bracket pieces so it does not move from road vibration?

Yeah I noticed that - still need to adjust a little.. Literally finished an hour ago. Gonna tweak it a little to try and straighten it up.. No washer, but that's a good idea. At least it's in a position that's easy to work on now that the wiring is done.. Just two screws to remove the grille..

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Ordered the ecs supertone Kit. Jay745 installing it when he has time. Embarrassing horn no more soon

What color is your car? I am about to order that as well - but I think I want to take the horns apart and paint them flat black over the red grill/front.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
The take apart and paint is such and easy job even I managed to do it.

Thinking of painting mine too.. Either black, or maybe even the color of the car (might be subtly cool).. To answer your other question, I just briefly tested them. I'll check for any vibrations and report back.. Since it's something I might use for only a few seconds a week or so i'm not too concerned with any vibrations, rather more concerned with some jackass merging into me or finishing a text at a green light.:mad:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I have a pair of these, I'm split between installing them on my Suburban or GSW, lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk