GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Hoon

Autocross Champion
^^^ Why didn't you keep your stock hpfp? I did, knowing that I will need to switch once I go MPI.

I have the stock internals, but it's much easier to install the autotech internals (which uses clips and a retainer) than the stock internals (retainer and a press fit collar).

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why do you need to remove your hpfp to go MPI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to remove it, but ECU control of the HPFP is limited, so I'd prefer that side of the system be stock. It's also unnecessary stress on the drive system to push a larger pump that you don't have a need for.

16CSGGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone needs to do a pump exchange with me.

They get an assembled Autotech for $200 shipped (plus undamaged stock internals) and I get a stock pump.

That basically cuts the price in half and makes it a 5 minute install for someone, and I don't have to mess with trying to press the stock internals back in.

Shameless ad is shameless.:)
That's a good deal. I luckily scored a HPFP from a salvage yard for $80 in anticipation of going MPI in the future. So I just upgraded that one with the autotech internals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
You don't need to remove it, but ECU control of the HPFP is limited, so I'd prefer that side of the system be stock. It's also unnecessary stress on the drive system to push a larger pump that you don't have a need for.

I think the stress concerns are even less valid on the mk7 than with the mk6 platform. YMMV of course, but I’ve been told to just leave it, so I will. Lol

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think the stress concerns are even less valid on the mk7 than with the mk6 platform. YMMV of course, but I’ve been told to just leave it, so I will. Lol

Ed will tune for it, UM doesn't support it so they would recommend removing it. A lot of this depends on your tuner.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Definitely true, MK7 has a much more robust design, but I have heard of it failing on high milage cars. It's more a precaution to me...I don't need it, it adds stress, it can have control issues, etc.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm self tuning on Maestro. It's supported but still not ideal.

Exactly, the way it was explained to me was that it creates an "unknown variable" that some tuners don't want to have, especially because MPI gives you all the fueling you need and is 100% tuneable.

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
Just ordered the base map today! Anxious to see how much better it is compared to the ots stage 3 93 Cobb map

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Could probably run it at 26/27psi for drivability on 94 and not need either pump.
I might even go this route as I really don't care about maxing out and getting all the power out of the new turbo. Ed was saying I'd probably get about 430whp on 94 octane with stock pumps which is WAY more than enough for me as a daily driver.

Childish me just wants to hit the 500hp crank number lol

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I might even go this route as I really don't care about maxing out and getting all the power out of the new turbo. Ed was saying I'd probably get about 430whp on 94 octane with stock pumps which is WAY more than enough for me as a daily driver.

Childish me just wants to hit the 500hp crank number lol

I feel the same way, wouldn't mind the boost from just bolting on with the stock fueling either.

But when childish you wants that 500hp, an LPFP and MPI add on with Ed's tune will get you that :)

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel the same way, wouldn't mind the boost from just bolting on with the stock fueling either.

But when childish you wants that 500hp, an LPFP and MPI add on with Ed's tune will get you that :)
Eds guesstimating 430ish awhp, which puts me close to 500 crank and that'll be with stock pumps [emoji1417][emoji1417]