GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI vs 2019 Mazda 3

ELHOTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Which would be the better buy?
GTI has 220 hp vs 186 for the Mazda 3
Base price of a GTI is much more than the Mazda 3
Cost of ownership for the GTI will be more than the Mazda 3. The Mazda will likely be MUCH more reliable.
GTI is likely more fun and satisfying to drive- but is it worth the extra cost?
The 2019 Mazda 3 has a premium feel and is by far the most quiet car in its class- almost Lexus like.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!

You've been mulling over this for over 4 years. Make a move already.

Correction 4 years and 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Have you driven a mazda 3? A couple of friends each have one from the previous gen, i think they are both around 2014-2016, one manual, and they are really really boring dude.... these new 2019s need to really bring up the "fun" factor.... dont get me wrong, i love mazda and their new tech, I lobbied my parents over a decade ago to get a CX9.... but if you are in a forum, i assume you enjoy driving... you are gonna get on this thing every day, do you really want that?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Which would be the better buy?
GTI has 220 hp vs 186 for the Mazda 3
Base price of a GTI is much more than the Mazda 3
Cost of ownership for the GTI will be more than the Mazda 3. The Mazda will likely be MUCH more reliable.
The 2019 Mazda 3 has a premium feel and is by far the most quiet car in its class- almost Lexus like.

Well mk7 post 2015 are about as reliable as it gets for current offerings today, regardless of class.

The mk7 / 7.5 also has a better interior than most cars even well above its class.

Factor in that a gti is far superior in every single performance category idk why you’d even compare it to a Mazda 3 aka “a librarians car”

Hoon

Autocross Champion
These are 2 completely different cars for completely different buyers.

Also, MK7s are VERY solid, reliable cars.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
FWIW the 2019 GTI has 228HP, separating them power-wise even more than before.

I've always been a huge fan of Mazda. Loved every Mazda I've owned, my 03ish Mazda Protege, my 08 Mazdaspeed 3 and my 12 Mazda 3. If Mazda currently offered another Speed 3, I'd probably have passed on the GTI.

It really depends on what you features you value more. The GTI is a more complete package, with power, handling, interior, arguably reliability and understated classy looks. The only downside to a GTI is cost of ownership/maintenance. The Mazda is really lacking in the power department, but they still excel at handling, interior and reliability. And they're cheap to maintain. And subjectively they're quite the lookers.

I myself didn't want to cheap out on the power again, and I feel like on the GTI they have a reason to focus on handling while the Mazda handling is becoming 2nd to "upscale" (torsion beam rear, really?). Either way you can't go wrong, though.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Anyone else feel that the Mazda 3 went backwards in terms of looks when they changed generations in 2013/2014? Someone in my apt complex owns a bright green Mazdaspeed from 2012, and it certainly holds it own when parked next to my MK7 GTI. The current gen is Baluch. Another example of a company messing something up just because they felt the need to revamp what was never broken, think windows 7 to 8, or MK4 to MK5 - hahahaha. I really hope VW does not make the same mistake with the MK8.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Go drive both and decide.

It’s YOUR money.

I personally don’t care what you buy.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Go drive both and decide.

It’s YOUR money.

I personally don’t care what you buy.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I leased a 2015 Mazda3 before the MK7 GTI.

They are completely different cars and feel nothing remotely like each other on the road. The GTI driving dynamics are far superior as well as the interior quality. The Mazda3 competes with the Elantra, Focus, Civic, etc.

You're the only person who can answer that.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Wouldn't the better comparison be the golf vs. the Mazda 3? The 1.8 can easily out power it with a simple tune or JB4 as well.