GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
North bay, though I am now away for some time. There's a few of us up there.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Well, good news and bad news. I did some absolute map tuning, and it definitely solved the issue, 2nd gear burnouts are back! However, I noticed in my log that for the portion it didn't know it was in gear it was running pretty lean, so I did a 2nd gear log, and sure enough I'm seeing afr's up to 16... That's pretty scary... So for now I put it on map 4 and will be limping it around when the computer doesn't say what gear it's in. Highest priority now is getting the gears figured out in OBD Eleven.

3rd gear log: https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1554856192?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-19-21

LEAN 2nd gear log with a bit of 1st: https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1554856192?log=1&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-19-21

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So another update, I was able to fiddle enough to get the gear ratios section of the engine module long coding to change again, but I was only able to change between 0 1 0 (I assume 5 speed), 1 1 0 (listed as 6 speed), and 0 0 1 (listed as 7 speed), and none of them changed anything with what gear the engine thought I was in.

I am definitely curious to see what the default values for a 6 speed sportwagen or diesel (if there still are any) are. Is there anyone with a 6 speed golf who has obdeleven/vcds that can post their default values for the engine module long coding?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So another update, I was able to fiddle enough to get the gear ratios section of the engine module long coding to change again, but I was only able to change between 0 1 0 (I assume 5 speed), 1 1 0 (listed as 6 speed), and 0 0 1 (listed as 7 speed), and none of them changed anything with what gear the engine thought I was in.

I am definitely curious to see what the default values for a 6 speed sportwagen or diesel (if there still are any) are. Is there anyone with a 6 speed golf who has obdeleven/vcds that can post their default values for the engine module long coding?
Just tell me where to look.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thanks!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Sorry dude. Game of Thrones night, then rain has prevented me from getting to my car to pull this for you. I should have some time after dinner tonight. If you can throw up a screenshot of the info you need from your car so I can be sure to get the right one for you from my car.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Aha! Thanks to ZuMBLe's info I have made some progress! It turns out the car's opinion of what gear it's in has nothing to do with how many gears it thinks it has, but rather the body style the car thinks it is.

I tried ZuMBLe's body style (alltrack) and was able to get a slightly different response to the gearing, though it turned out to be worse, then I tried one more thing and was able to get the car to think it's in gear always when flat out. Though if you let off the throttle it will get confued in 2nd and 3rd. It now thinks:

1 = 1
2 = 2, sometimes
3 = 2, sometimes
4 = 3
5 = 4
6 = 5

And I actually got the upshift from 5 > 6 indicator for the first time! :D. Now I'm curious to see what a 2015-2016 R's long coding looks like, that might be the best chance to match the gear ratios.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is over my head.

Not sure this helps. If I start a JB4 log when I'm in neutral or have the the clutch down it says gear 9. I'm really not sure which scenario. Just throwing it out there to see if it makes something click.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry for late respond i’ve been MIA for a bit. But that is fantastic news! I’m assuming that with mk7 6mt that it will be sport on then!? If my assumptions are correct, this weekend i’ll go to junkyard and pick one up

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'm still waiting on anyone with an R to do the same thing ZuMBLe did, then I'll get back to you on whether it's 100%. I'm also reaching out to tuning companies, and so far only Unitronic has gotten back to me thinking they would be able to help me with this. Though if the golf R ratios work I don't think I'll need that. I believe at the moment the car thinks it has mk7 GTI ratios, so I am pretty sure if you get a mk7 GTI MQ350 everything is 100%. I'll post my long coding with these ratios if you're curious.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
In OBDEleven, go to the engine module > info, and scroll down a bit to "coding". I don't know how it works in VCDS, but I assume it's similar.