GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 big turbo mpi dyno number/reliability

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
There are quite a few people that won't notice. A handful of people I know on the 4 bar have told me it feels stock :D
It's worse on a manual car.

I'm extremely sensitive and picky about drivability, so I'll definitely notice it ;)

-- Ed

pieguy

Ready to race!
How can you not notice it... Feels horrible in stop and go traffic

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
How can you not notice it... Feels horrible in stop and go traffic

I think the linearity is better on some than others, and also, I use the values for everyone based on my own car (sensor).

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I had no issues with mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
99% sure I have the same one. I got it from Daniel Bouges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Jumping in late here as we have been absent from the forum for a bit. The tuner and fuel are going to be your most important factors, a good tuner and tune coupled with good fuel will do you well. Running a custom UM Flex Fuel tune, and pump E85. We have been pushing 450WTQ, and 500ISHWHP on our stock motor GTI for about 12K miles now. This includes at least 12 trips to the drag strip with getting close to 100 passes, a full day at Thunderhill road course where the GTI put down a lap 1 sec faster than out shop F80 BMW M3 and did on tires that cost $45 each, it also did a full day at a 1/2 mile event which is prob the hardest on the motor, full load all the way up to the top of 5th or 160MPH. We also have lent the car to 3 customers, and let multiple employees take it home. No one was easy on it. This car has never once let us down, and we plan to take it back to the strip next week. Running a big turbo at high power levels is totally doable for extended periods of time, just use good fuel, and a good tuner!

Last edited:

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
I've been running like this less than a month or two. Also, because you can't run the double 4 bar map sensor during daily driving, I don't push the engine to it's theoretical limit often. If I were you, I'd keep the DBV2 v2 as a good point until you build the engine. No point going bigger.

All 3071r, EFR, IMS610+ and Mabo 560is turbos push 500 whp with full e85 if your tuner is half decent. It's just a matter of dyno differences where you see a change in +/- 50whp (mustang low, dynojet high). I can say for certain that if your turbo doesn't spool around 3500 fully or less, it will be a very unfun daily driver.
I would get a hold of a good tuner man. We have run dual 4 bars on our car since we first got the custom UM tune. This s about 12K miles, including a 1500 road trip to Vegas where without changing the tune, the car got 28MPH. If you cannot run dual 4 bars daily, your tuner is doing something wrong...

pieguy

Ready to race!
I would get a hold of a good tuner man. We have run dual 4 bars on our car since we first got the custom UM tune. This s about 12K miles, including a 1500 road trip to Vegas where without changing the tune, the car got 28MPH. If you cannot run dual 4 bars daily, your tuner is doing something wrong...

oh boy :rolleyes:

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
and there goes this thread
It was gone as soon as you stepped into it, sir... We are speaking from actual big turbo experience 500+WHP and 450WTQ for 12K miles which is EXACTLY what the OP was asking about. You are bringing exactly what experience to this thread? A bunch of conjecture, and opinions? We look forward to what snarky comment you have next that is still not actual experience with a big turbo stock motor at 500WHP as your daily...

As for the people saying the Bosch 4 bar does not go low enough into the vacuum range to be viable, this is an old hat issue on other platforms. You have to choose the correct Bosch 4 bars, a few companies even made their own with lower resolution down low. Either way we are running dual 4 bar Maps provided by UM over a year ago, without a single issue ever. Car runs like a top, they remove the part numbers from them, but obviously, they have chosen the correct sensors for the job...

Last edited:

pieguy

Ready to race!
We already talked about this earlier in the thread:

The Bosch 4 bar is not qualified linear below 0.5 bar which is fine for the diesel cars it was designed for, but not for gasoline ones.

UM is running a more expensive AEM 5 bar map, this is why the car runs perfect. The 4 bar kits everyone is selling for the manifold are not ideal. Throttle pipe is fine and will get you 4-5 seconds of over 3 bar boost (running one sensor) before you get a code.

Maybe UM does non-linear mapping so the idle is better with their 4 bars, which I am not sure is possible with Eurodyne. Maybe Matt knows better.

Lets try to keep this thread drama free please. Going pretty well.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
It was gone as soon as you stepped into it, sir... We are speaking from actual big turbo experience 500+WHP and 450WTQ for 12K miles which is EXACTLY what the OP was asking about. You are bringing exactly what experience to this thread? A bunch of conjecture, and opinions? We look forward to what snarky comment you have next that is still not actual experience with a big turbo stock motor at 500WHP as your daily...

As for the people saying the Bosch 4 bar does not go low enough into the vacuum range to be viable, this is an old hat issue on other platforms. You have to choose the correct Bosch 4 bars, a few companies even made their own with lower resolution down low. Either way we are running dual 4 bar Maps provided by UM over a year ago, without a single issue ever. Car runs like a top, they remove the part numbers from them, but obviously, they have chosen the correct sensors for the job...
I stepped into it on the 4th post. seems like a good thread with some good info
thanks for sharing your .02 cents