GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 big turbo mpi dyno number/reliability

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
So much misinformation in this thread. The 4 bar problem has NOTHING to do with Eurodyne.

Be wary of people giving out advice when they don't know what the hell they are talking about i.e. 805mk7.

What Ed and Sam said is correct. The Bosch 4 bar is not qualified linear below 0.5 bar which is fine for the diesel cars it was designed for, but not for gasoline ones.

UM is running a more expensive AEM 5 bar map, this is why the car runs perfect. The 4 bar kits everyone is selling for the manifold are not ideal. Throttle pipe is fine and will get you 4-5 seconds of over 3 bar boost (running one sensor) before you get a code.

P.S. Ottawa is a great MQB city. 4 10 second MQB's here and our population is like 800,000. Two will probably be 10.5-10.6 or lower this summer.

Just a FYI....Not all UM cars are running the AEM sensor. UM has plenty of other cars running the 4 Bar set up.

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
annnnnnnd I think I jinxed myself... I posted in here about how reliable my R has been and my LPFP died on me. LOL after 50k

:( well im like 90% sure. Ill be checking it in bit to verify its dead.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Just a FYI....Not all UM cars are running the AEM sensor. UM has plenty of other cars running the 4 Bar set up.

I am aware yeah, i've seen the pics.

What I am saying is that the sensor itself is not accurate for load/airflow calculation in a vacuum operated manifold on a gasoline car. Period.

pieguy

Ready to race!

What I am saying is that the sensor itself is not accurate for load/airflow calculation in a vacuum operated manifold on a gasoline car. Period.

Does anybody sell the AEM 5 bar with mounting equipment for MQB's other than APR?

edit: Didn't realize APR's boost tap was so cheap. Maybe i'll do what therealvrt recommended then. Thanks!

Last edited:

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed

So then how are all the UM cars running perfectly fine? the ones running the 4 bar sensors? :confused:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
So then how are all the UM cars running perfectly fine? the ones running the 4 bar sensors? :confused:

They probably aren't using that exact sensor, or they added support for non-linear mapping.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Curious... have you bench tested the sensor at high vacuum? I know the factory calibration doesn't go that low, but that may just have to do with application (diesel). The sensor itself might be linear in that range.

I have one of these on my desk and I'll try to bench test it this week to see how it really responds.

-- Ed

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Curious... have you bench tested the sensor at high vacuum? I know the factory calibration doesn't go that low, but that may just have to do with application (diesel). The sensor itself might be linear in that range.

I have one of these on my desk and I'll try to bench test it this week to see how it really responds.

-- Ed

From tuning them on 10+ cars and including my own, with a linear calibration you can basically accept perfect idle with low speed driveability problems/cruise lambda all screwed up, or driveability better and idle crap.
No bench tests, I don't have the necessarily hardware :( (vacuum chamber).

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
From tuning them on 10+ cars and including my own, with a linear calibration you can basically accept perfect idle with low speed driveability problems/cruise lambda all screwed up, or driveability better and idle crap.
No bench tests, I don't have the necessarily hardware :( (vacuum chamber).

I'll report back with what I find. I was going to return my set based on the data I found, but PR swears that they have a lot of customers out there running these with no drivability/idle issues with several different tuners. So I'm going to investigate further and see if it may be a viable solution.

-- Ed

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I'll report back with what I find. I was going to return my set based on the data I found, but PR swears that they have a lot of customers out there running these with no drivability/idle issues with several different tuners. So I'm going to investigate further and see if it may be a viable solution.

-- Ed

There are quite a few people that won't notice. A handful of people I know on the 4 bar have told me it feels stock :D
It's worse on a manual car.