GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 big turbo mpi dyno number/reliability

1jzlive

Passed Driver's Ed
Where are the big turboskis with upgrade fueling(mpi) guys at??? Id assume you boys must be at 500whp or close enough
I coming bearing advice from the people who have "sent it"
How long have you guys been running these power levels?

Have you had any issues?

For the large percentage who cant afford sending the rod through the block would you recommend staying at 440whp on stock fueling?

WOULD MPI BIG TURBO AT 500WHP BE DEEMED SAFE?(WITH TOP TIER MAINTENCE PLUGS,OIL ETC?

Currently have a big turbo (not on the car ) (want to send it at 500whp with mpi(cant afford to blow this shit) May god bless us all!

Dyno sheets are welcomed!??

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Where are the big turboskis with upgrade fueling(mpi) guys at??? Id assume you boys must be at 500whp or close enough

Have you had any issues?

For the large percentage who cant afford sending the rod through the block would you recommend staying at 440whp on stock fueling?

WOULD MPI BIG TURBO AT 500WHP BE DEEMED SAFE?(WITH TOP TIER MAINTENCE PLUGS,OIL ETC?

Currently have a big turbo (not on the car ) (want to send it at 500whp with mpi(cant afford to blow this shit) May god bless us all!

Keep wheel tq under roughly 420 and 500whp is "Safe" with a solid tune and quality fuel.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

Have you had any issues?

generally speaking most failures have been piston ringland failures although FFE just posted an engine with a bent rod.

Ill be running mpi at some point in 2019 but right now i can tell you that i have seen boss500 on 94 pump gas with mpi make 472whp on a mustang dyno.
also seen a boss600 make 600whp on a built engine with e85 and a dvb2 turbo on e85 make 540awhp on a built engine as well.

1jzlive

Passed Driver's Ed
generally speaking most failures have been piston ringland failures although FFE just posted an engine with a bent rod.

Ill be running mpi at some point in 2019 but right now i can tell you that i have seen boss500 on 94 pump gas with mpi make 472whp on a mustang dyno.
also seen a boss600 make 600whp on a built engine with e85 and a dvb2 turbo on e85 make 540awhp on a built engine as well.

Alright im trying to gather as much info as possible as ivr asked around , plan is 480-500whp and 400torque(low timing) on full e85 of course with upgraded fuel pump lpfp ,full e85 just for ease of filling up not having to do mixtures i wouldnt say i abuse my car but race twice a week(roll racing couple runs) couple pulls here and there

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Alright im trying to gather as much info as possible as ivr asked around , plan is 480-500whp and 400torque(low timing) on full e85 of course with upgraded fuel pump lpfp ,full e85 just for ease of filling up not having to do mixtures i wouldnt say i abuse my car but race twice a week(roll racing couple runs) couple pulls here and there

it's all about the torque. any good tuner could definitely get you those numbers

pieguy

Ready to race!
We don't really know the long term reliability of pushing 500whp/420wtq, but with e85 fueling and some good timing, my logs look really good. The DBV2 guys really push the hell out of their track cars and they've been doing well too.

I think a lot of people deciding on jumping to big turbos really need to really choose wisely now that we really understand the engines limits in terms of turbo sizing as well as fueling. Going bigger isn't really better anymore. If you have no plans to build the engine in a few years time, running a Boss 600 like myself or an IMS650+ is just a good way to push the curve so far right that your daily driver is now a golf during 90% of driving. If I had to do it again, i'd stick with an EFR, BOSS 500 or a hybrid like the EQT/VTT/DBV2. If you're building a drag monster, then that turbo better be the size of a small dog.

1jzlive

Passed Driver's Ed
We don't really know the long term reliability of pushing 500whp/420wtq, but with e85 fueling and some good timing, my logs look really good. The DBV2 guys really push the hell out of their track cars and they've been doing well too.

I think a lot of people deciding on jumping to big turbos really need to really choose wisely now that we really understand the engines limits in terms of turbo sizing as well as fueling. Going bigger isn't really better anymore. If you have no plans to build the engine in a few years time, running a Boss 600 like myself or an IMS650+ is just a good way to push the curve so far right that your daily driver is now a golf during 90% of driving. If I had to do it again, i'd stick with an EFR, BOSS 500 or a hybrid like the EQT/VTT/DBV2. If you're building a drag monster, then that turbo better be the size of a small dog.

I see i appreciate the input ,i have no intentions of building a drag car as its not my style 100 percent 40 rolls and 60s... and of course chasing when you catch a wannabefastguy on the road lol i currently have a dbv2 v2 and 500whp is my goal with maybe building the motor a very distant future from now 4years and up i maintain my cars to top tier, amsoil ? may i ask how long youve been running your car like that and you said u make 500whp? Correct thank you brother

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Well said. Also going BT is much more expensive than most folks estimate while contemplating the move. Also have to chuckle at folks that want to push power to 500whp on a stock block and then ask if it is going to be reliable like it would be at 220whp. Its not. There are two approaches, build it now to last or build it after it breaks. You should go into those types of power levels expecting to have to build your motor and have the money set aside to handle it, otherwise, don't go there. (just an experienced opinion)

pieguy

Ready to race!
I see i appreciate the input ,i have no intentions of building a drag car as its not my style 100 percent 40 rolls and 60s... and of course chasing when you catch a wannabefastguy on the road lol i currently have a dbv2 v2 and 500whp is my goal with maybe building the motor a very distant future from now 4years and up i maintain my cars to top tier, amsoil �� may i ask how long youve been running your car like that and you said u make 500whp? Correct thank you brother

I've been running like this less than a month or two. Also, because you can't run the double 4 bar map sensor during daily driving, I don't push the engine to it's theoretical limit often. If I were you, I'd keep the DBV2 v2 as a good point until you build the engine. No point going bigger.

All 3071r, EFR, IMS610+ and Mabo 560is turbos push 500 whp with full e85 if your tuner is half decent. It's just a matter of dyno differences where you see a change in +/- 50whp (mustang low, dynojet high). I can say for certain that if your turbo doesn't spool around 3500 fully or less, it will be a very unfun daily driver.

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Really depends on what you want....I think the majority of us are looking for a turbo that isn't overly laggy and is capable of mid 400s - both for engine reliability and spool....if you go much over that an engine rebuild should be thought about extensively.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Have you had any issues?

Dyno sheets are welcomed!����

Pretty simple answer to me. If you can't afford to replace a blown motor, don't even think about pushing it that far.

Doubling hp/tq on a stock engine is obviously gonna skyrocket the chances of a failure longterm. Doesn't mean it will happen or that most can't push it at that point reliably but if you don't have the money ready for if it blows, why on earth would you take the risk based on the small sample size represented by people on a forum? Ask if you like but have that cash ready for the kaboom anyway.

Had this facepalming convo with my young wreckless cousin recently. He bought a used high mileage 10 year old BMW that seemed poorly maintained off the bat and was talking about exhaust + upgraded turbos + tuning on a budget....forget backup funds for a blown engine/clutch, he didn't even prepare for preventative shit (like walnut blasting intake valves) before thinking about upgrades. I kept telling him if you can't afford to fix shit that may break with more power, don't do it yet.

Funny thing is the stock turbos AND clutch went within 6 months before any mods were ever thrown on the car! Don't even think it runs now as he can't afford to fix it.

Last edited:

1jzlive

Passed Driver's Ed
Well said. Also going BT is much more expensive than most folks estimate while contemplating the move. Also have to chuckle at folks that want to push power to 500whp on a stock block and then ask if it is going to be reliable like it would be at 220whp. Its not. There are two approaches, build it now to last or build it after it breaks. You should go into those types of power levels expecting to have to build your motor and have the money set aside to handle it, otherwise, don't go there. (just an experienced opinion)

I understand brother ,but my question isnt if its gping to be reliable as if it was stock(no pun intended) im just trting to see the threshold of the motor for example my 1j puts down 680whp on stock block thats the threshold before i have to build the block but its cheap in the sense ill jist get a 2j bottom end and swap my head over same as the mk7 if i were to say hey guys can i run 550 whp on stock block that would be an instant yes its going to blow for sure , ive seen numerous gtis run 500whp but o one mentions how long theyve ran if for etc , what i mean by reliable is for example 440whp is deemed safe ,is 500whp deemed " safe" 530whp is 100 percent not safe i thats obvious so is 500whp"you shouod be fine or is it only a matter of time before to u break somrthing

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I understand brother ,but my question isnt if its gping to be reliable as if it was stock(no pun intended) im just trting to see the threshold of the motor for example my 1j puts down 680whp on stock block thats the threshold before i have to build the block but its cheap in the sense ill jist get a 2j bottom end and swap my head over same as the mk7 if i were to say hey guys can i run 550 whp on stock block that would be an instant yes its going to blow for sure , ive seen numerous gtis run 500whp but o one mentions how long theyve ran if for etc , what i mean by reliable is for example 440whp is deemed safe ,is 500whp deemed " safe" 530whp is 100 percent not safe i thats obvious so is 500whp"you shouod be fine or is it only a matter of time before to u break somrthing

I think fuel quality, turbo size and tune have a lot to do with it.

500whp @ 33psi on a maxed out turbo (aka heat) running knock sensors comes across one old batch of fuel and kaboom while 500whp @ 29 psi on a larger turbo running cooler on quality fuel with a solid tune (off the knock sensors etc) and a fair amount of ethanol for insurance are the difference.

^^^Sorry hard to read there.^^^