GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can I drive around without tag in WA after private party purchase?

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I’m buying a 2016 GTI Autobahn Thursday. After closing the deal at my credit union, I have fifteen days to get my tag. I will find time to go to the Bel Red license office , but can’t right away. What’s the likelihood of me being pulled over by the police? Will a bill of sale be sufficient as my explanation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I’m buying a 2016 GTI Autobahn Thursday. After closing the deal at my credit union, I have fifteen days to get my tag. I will find time to go to the Bel Red license office , but can’t right away. What’s the likelihood of me being pulled over by the police? Will a bill of sale be sufficient as my explanation?

No state allows that, and you will at the least get tickets for no title, no plates, no registration, and no insurance. In some cities, your car is automatically impounded and/or your driver's license is suspended.

Likelyhood? Any police that sees you will stop you. and since you just gave them probable cause they will search your car. If the previous owner left drugs in the car you're toast. If there is even a trace that a dog can sniff out they can tear your car apart.

Will the owner, if he still has the car properly registered, etc., drive it to your house?

adam1991

Banned
eh. Sky is falling.

If you're an asshole to cops, sure--the sky will fall.

But if you have the signed title and are just driving to the place to get temp tags, you're in a much better place.

The longer you drive around, the more likelihood that (a) you'll run into a cop, and (b) he'll figure out that you've just been driving around without tags "just because". And that's what most people end up doing--"I'll get around to it". When that happens, you're in a much worse place.

Me: I don't worry about driving without tags, because before I buy the car I have a firm plan in hand to acquire tags. Buy the car on a Saturday afternoon? I already have plans to go get temps on Monday morning, or even simply get the title switched over and then get real tags sometime by Wednesday. That sort of thing. In the meantime, I don't sweat driving without tags. I have the signed title--and maybe even a dated receipt of some kind, handwritten--to show the cop.

No plan in place to take care of business? Good luck with that strategy long term.

I also have a home with a driveway and a garage. If you don't have such, then you had better get plates--because a car with no tags on the street or out on a parking lot somewhere *will* get ticketed/towed, unless you know the owners of the parking lot really well.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
eh. Sky is falling.

If you're an asshole to cops, sure--the sky will fall.

But if you have the signed title and are just driving to the place to get temp tags, you're in a much better place.

The longer you drive around, the more likelihood that (a) you'll run into a cop, and (b) he'll figure out that you've just been driving around without tags "just because". And that's what most people end up doing--"I'll get around to it". When that happens, you're in a much worse place.

Me: I don't worry about driving without tags, because before I buy the car I have a firm plan in hand to acquire tags. Buy the car on a Saturday afternoon? I already have plans to go get temps on Monday morning, or even simply get the title switched over and then get real tags sometime by Wednesday. That sort of thing. In the meantime, I don't sweat driving without tags. I have the signed title--and maybe even a dated receipt of some kind, handwritten--to show the cop.

No plan in place to take care of business? Good luck with that strategy long term.

I also have a home with a driveway and a garage. If you don't have such, then you had better get plates--because a car with no tags on the street or out on a parking lot somewhere *will* get ticketed/towed, unless you know the owners of the parking lot really well.

+1

I sold my previous car privately prior to purchasing my R.

New owner left my house with a notarized title, bill of sale and no tags. He had called his insurance with the VIN and gotten coverage and a proof of insurance.

I think you'll be fine, but I'd make it a priority to get tags.

_cruster

Ready to race!
Is the seller keeping the plate...?

If you want to keep it legal, you can get a trip permit at any licensing office. $30 for 3 days. Without tabs, you might get pulled over...you might not.

I got pulled over for having expired tabs once. Fat ticket. Cop goes back to his car. I pull back into traffic to head home. Cop pulled me over again. "Not my problem - tow it." Another fat ticket. It was *awesome*.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Is the seller keeping the plate...?

If you want to keep it legal, you can get a trip permit at any licensing office. $30 for 3 days. Without tabs, you might get pulled over...you might not.

I got pulled over for having expired tabs once. Fat ticket. Cop goes back to his car. I pull back into traffic to head home. Cop pulled me over again. "Not my problem - tow it." Another fat ticket. It was *awesome*.

You must have really done something to piss that cop off lol.

adam1991

Banned
I bought my from a private saller and just asked him if I can use his plates until I get my in mail. Worked out good.

That'll always work out good for you. For him, never. You could have robbed a bank or run over a sidewalk full of nuns, and he'd never see free daylight again.

That's an insane thing to do, letting other people run with your tags.

VitGti1

That'll always work out good for you. For him, never. You could have robbed a bank or run over a sidewalk full of nuns, and he'd never see free daylight again.

He was a nice guy and I'm not a tweaker, of course I had all the paperwork in the car. Doing good deeds helps out. Karma goes both ways right ?

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Registration requires the title in hand. The seller’s bank has the title. It won’t release it to my possession until they received the pay off check from my bank. The seller lets me keep his tags for upward of a month. He did report the car being sold to DOL.

joshdub

Passed Driver's Ed

Until only very recently, in WA the plates remained with the vehicle when sold. WA issued titles have a tear-off portion that you submit to the DMV that contains buyer/seller info, date, and purchase price that you submit.

So no, it's not an insane thing to do because A) they arent "his" tags, they are the cars, and B) you release liability as soon as you notify the DMV that the vehicle has been sold.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Registration requires the title in hand. The seller’s bank has the title. It won’t release it to my possession until they received the pay off check from my bank. The seller lets me keep his tags for upward of a month. He did report the car being sold to DOL.

Late to the party here.
Lesson learned I'm sure in this process.
If your Bank payed the seller's Bank - then your Bank gets the Title.
Your "Bill of Sale" (which you two should use the state from which the seller resides in) is your proof to "Re-Register" the vehicle in your name.
The tags on the plates would NO LONGER be valid; since the vehicle was sold.
You would have 72hrs to register the vehicle into your name from the Date of Sale on the Bill.

Interesting how very young and inexperienced many members are. Always a lot to say, but rarely any wisdom.