GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
yo guys! I am following this because I want to retrofit the camera as well, of course without changing the windshield.

my windshield is the version with the rain sensor, and some time ago I had already retrofitted the basic camera FLA mirror 3G0 857 511 AE. so I already have the mirror cover. I wonder if I can replace the mirror camera with the Lane Assist camera. I choose the 5Q0 camera because I have the old round ACC radar.

or maybe a bracket would be better with 3D printing but that is not my field of expertise, I would need the file and go to a 3D printing facility.

side note for all of you guys. buy a stupid cheap CAT5e/CAT6 Ethernet patch cord, strip it and you have four CAN-BUS pairs :D

PS I also commented on Piotr blog :)

Hey, Welcome xD

You should be able to get the sensor off the mirror and mount the 5q0 camera on a 3d printed bracket, Thats what i did.

HUGE UPDATE:
I Just calibrated the camera and activated everything, I Havent tried HBA As its still morning here.

The traffic sign works perfectly, And the lane assist is nice but needs clear road marks to work good.

Now Im just waiting for the mirror cover to make it all permenant.

P.S When you guys calibrate the camera, make sure it is flat against the mirror housing. At first ODIS said "Calibration Marks Covered" And i thought my board wasnt good, but the camera wasnt sitting flush against the mirror housing and the second i fixed it to the mirror it worked.

Last edited:

piotrekp

Congrats!

On the other hand, you should check if your calibration board and camera was well positioned. It's a good practice to keep all the angles at closer to 0. Check the system behaviour after around 100km and if there won't be any issues with dynamic calibration (some "Lane Assist not available" errors during the ride) or with keeping you in the middle of lane keep your current settings.

For the first 20-30km Lane Assist may behave strange, but after riding few more kilometers it should learn itself.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Congrats!

On the other hand, you should check if your calibration board and camera was well positioned. It's a good practice to keep all the angles at closer to 0. Check the system behaviour after around 100km and if there won't be any issues with dynamic calibration (some "Lane Assist not available" errors during the ride) or with keeping you in the middle of lane keep your current settings.

For the first 20-30km Lane Assist may behave strange, but after riding few more kilometers it should learn itself.

Thanks, We checked all the angles to make sure everything is level and sqaure, but this was only for testing purposes. Im waiting on the camera cover to make it permenant. and then i will be able to make the final calibration.

I Think something must be off on my calibration tho, as the car hugs the left lane for some reason. Probably because we calibrated it not on a level ground.

P.S

Just Checked the HBA And It works Perfectly, No cars it turns on and the second it sees a car it shuts high beams off.

Last edited:

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, congrats Reaper! :D
Awesome work! Nice calibration setup too.
Do you have some notes on the VCDS settings you needed to adjust for your car?

And another member in the retrofit team :)
Looks like you have a good starting point with the correct mirror and housing cover already, as Reaper said a little 3D printed bracket and you should be good.

For myself, the camera cover arrived yesterday, so I just need to see if I can make it compatible with my existing auto-dimming mirror, or if I need to buy the basic camera mirror. And today my 40cm ribbon cable arrived, so now I have all the parts I just need some time!

Does anyone know where I am likely to find the 2 canbus wires (inside the car) that run from my ACC radar or can point me in the direction of some pinout/wiring diagrams? I understand the other canbus pair will be on the connectors down in the trim near the footwell, are the ACC ones likely to be here too?

Oh as for canbus from ethernet, it did tempt me as I have a reel of CAT6 here, although only solid core, I decided multi-strand would be better.

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Wow, congrats Reaper! :D
Awesome work! Nice calibration setup too.
Do you have some notes on the VCDS settings you needed to adjust for your car?

And another member in the retrofit team :)
Looks like you have a good starting point with the correct mirror and housing cover already, as Reaper said a little 3D printed bracket and you should be good.

For myself, the camera cover arrived yesterday, so I just need to see if I can make it compatible with my existing auto-dimming mirror, or if I need to buy the basic camera mirror. And today my 40cm ribbon cable arrived, so now I have all the parts I just need some time!

Does anyone know where I am likely to find the 2 canbus wires (inside the car) that run from my ACC radar or can point me in the direction of some pinout/wiring diagrams? I understand the other canbus pair will be on the connectors down in the trim near the footwell, are the ACC ones likely to be here too?

Oh as for canbus from ethernet, it did tempt me as I have a reel of CAT6 here, although only solid core, I decided multi-strand would be better.

Thanks Man!

I Followed a Few guides and combined them all into one.
It should be really easy to do them, the only problem i had is In A5 Byte 0(Which is the setting for enabling lane assist in the camera itself) when it is unticked it says Active, So the lane assist did not work for me until i Enabled it.

I Will Make a list of all the changes i made and post it here.

the 2 can wires for the ACC Radar are on the left of the Drivers footwell (LHD)

When you take off the trim that has the engine unlock thing you will see a few connectors ( pic attached).

Then Check if the Black connector( In the diagram it says brown but i cant see a brown connector so it must be the black one) has Can Bus wires coming from the front of the car there to pins 11 and 9. Then you just connect them to the connector and you are done.

Pin 1 of the camera goes to pin 11 (Low)
Pin 7 of the camera goes to pin 9 (High)

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, cool, so I should be able to connect the canbus extended pair to the cables on the top left going to the black connector (need to tap these as there will be something connected on both sides of the connector) as per the info earlier on in the thread from gc9n and piotrekp.

Then for the other canbus (ACC line) I can connect to pin 11 and 9 on the brown plug (but for these I guess I shouldn't have to tap them as there will be nothing connected on the otherside?). Just looking for pin 11 and 9 in one of the connectors to work out which one the 'brown' one is.

I'm sure it will all become clearer once I open everything up. I would do it right now, but its too dark out, better wait for some daylight, instead of messing around with a torch... :eek:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, cool, so I should be able to connect the canbus extended pair to the cables on the top left going to the black connector (need to tap these as there will be something connected on both sides of the connector) as per the info earlier on in the thread from gc9n and piotrekp.

Then for the other canbus (ACC line) I can connect to pin 11 and 9 on the brown plug (but for these I guess I shouldn't have to tap them as there will be nothing connected on the otherside?). Just looking for pin 11 and 9 in one of the connectors to work out which one the 'brown' one is.

I'm sure it will all become clearer once I open everything up. I would do it right now, but its too dark out, better wait for some daylight, instead of messing around with a torch... :eek:

There shouldnt be anything connected on the male side of the connector. as you didnt have a Front camera from factory. although im pretty sure you will need some special terminal so just tap into the wire directly if thats the case.

Look At the diagram it will make it clearer.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I used solid core pairs from CAT5e and never had a problem, but I agree stranded wire is better. that why I suggested to strip down a PATCH CORD, they're always stranded wires.

I am active on the official VCDS forum as well and they are firmly discouraging this "butcher hack", they insist on replacing the windshield.

while I believe that if your mounting option was totally bad, then ODIS would refuse to calibrate, they have a strong point about safety when they say that 1) there is no Z113 heater, and if the factory installs it, there must be a reason, and 2) the original camera windshield has a whole black area and that is a mask to prevent glare and help the camera focus.

I am debated, but I am slightly leaning towards the windshield replacement. there is a major safety concern that cannot be ignored.

I will still follow you guys and wait for your results, this retrofit cannot happen for me before June because of other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I used solid core pairs from CAT5e and never had a problem, but I agree stranded wire is better. that why I suggested to strip down a PATCH CORD, they're always stranded wires.

I am active on the official VCDS forum as well and they are firmly discouraging this "butcher hack", they insist on replacing the windshield.

while I believe that if your mounting option was totally bad, then ODIS would refuse to calibrate, they have a strong point about safety when they say that 1) there is no Z113 heater, and if the factory installs it, there must be a reason, and 2) the original camera windshield has a whole black area and that is a mask to prevent glare and help the camera focus.

I am debated, but I am slightly leaning towards the windshield replacement. there is a major safety concern that cannot be ignored.

I will still follow you guys and wait for your results, this retrofit cannot happen for me before June because of other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Agree With you, There must be a reason to why VW Did what they did.
Amd if you want to replace the windshield it would be even easier.

If A DAP Windshield in my country was as cheap as in the US I would have bought it already.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gc9n

Ready to race!
i enable the camera rom ODIS , Odis basically prompt to me that there is new hardware , specificaly front camera. and told me to code-enable it ,
when i did , those errors popped that , told me to calibrate the camera,

So i guess everything is fine

Hey Reaper Gongrants man , you done...
Please give me a list of the aditional changes you made into the VCDS

Attachments

• 2019-01-05_13-04-25.jpg
    2019-01-05_13-04-25.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 664

gc9n

Ready to race!
Question to you all ,
If i calibrate the camera , and after that , i accidentally change the position of it physically ,does it gonna give me an error to calibraate it again?
What will happen ?